RIP Christopher Rouse
Add Reply
j***@gmail.com
2019-09-22 16:02:28 UTC
https://slippedisc.com/2019/09/reports-of-the-death-of-a-great-american-composer-70/
Bozo
2019-09-22 16:19:45 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
https://slippedisc.com/2019/09/reports-of-the-death-of-a-great-american-composer-70/
Very sorry to hear.

His Flute Concerto the only work of his I've heard, but thought it great. https://tinyurl.com/y6kp5s4d

Amazon-US has a used Telarc cd of the Flute Concerto and Symphony No.2 at a very good price,fww.
number_six
2019-09-22 17:08:30 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
https://slippedisc.com/2019/09/reports-of-the-death-of-a-great-american-composer-70/
I did not know he was ill. Sad news.

Rouse was a significant figure in contemporary classical music.

I have two excellent CDs conducted by Marin Alsop, one on Koch, the other on RCA.

His notable works also include the percussion piece Ku-Ka-Ilimoku, of which I have several recordings.
c***@gmail.com
2019-09-22 19:17:43 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by j***@gmail.com
https://slippedisc.com/2019/09/reports-of-the-death-of-a-great-american-composer-70/
I did not know he was ill. Sad news.
Rouse was a significant figure in contemporary classical music.
I have two excellent CDs conducted by Marin Alsop, one on Koch, the other on RCA.
His notable works also include the percussion piece Ku-Ka-Ilimoku, of which I have several recordings.
A few years ago a phenomenal live performance of Rouse's Oboe Concerto by Liang Wang with the NY Phil was posted in Symphony share. It's a terrific piece. See also http://nyphil.org/watch-listen/video/1314/christopher-rouse-on-oboe-concerto. As the Times reviewer wrote, "in Mr. Rouse’s concerto, the principal test for the soloist is to produce seemingly endless lines that float weightless over aural backgrounds that shimmer and sigh in summer-afternoon languor. This Mr. Wang handled sublimely, with ceaseless breath and immaculate intonation. He handled faster figurations with equal aplomb, and the Philharmonic’s collective wheels gripped the track truly in Mr. Rouse’s writhing odd-meter sprints." Rouse also wrote a Flute Concerto that is equally fine, a beautiful, mostly elegiac work that already has received at least three excellent recordings (Wincenc, Bryan, Bezaly).

I've been trying (so far unsuccessfully) to obtain an aircheck of the Combs/CSO/Eschenbach performance of Rouse's Clarinet Concerto from May 2001 (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-05-19/news/0105190135_1_quasi-tonal-musical-language-amiable). A work of completely different character, evidently. (I haven't heard it yet, although I know that Martin Fröst recorded it with Alan Gilbert for Bis.)

Five or six years ago we heard a live performance of Rouse's String Quartet #2, engagingly introduced by the composer and beautifully played by members of the NY Philharmonic. The Calder Quartet recording is excellent, and well worth acquiring.

2019-09-22 21:01:19 UTC
A few years ago a phenomenal live performance of Rouse's Oboe Concerto by Liang Wang with the NY Phil >was posted in Symphony share. It's a terrific piece. See also http://nyphil.org/watch->
listen/video/1314/christopher-rouse-on-oboe-concerto.
Thanks for this. Indeed a wonderful work, performance. Also here, audio only:

I like Rouse best in his elegiac moments.
Bozo
2019-09-23 12:42:06 UTC
Rouse's Cello Concerto also worth a listen,althoug his Flute Concerto remains my fav of the 3 concertos of his I've now heard. All 3 will probably grow on me as is often the case , for me, with new works.