2 Vivaldi favorites
2020-06-25 06:08:56 UTC
Far back in the last century I had an LP on HMV (a promo LP with a catalog)
with 2 concerti by Corelli (one of them was the "Christmas Concerto") and 2
concerti by Vivaldi: the concerto for strings RV 127 and the flute concerto
opus 10, 2 "La notte". Played by the Moscow Chamber Orchestra, conducted by
Rudolf Barshai.
It is this one:
https://www.casals-classical.com/products/barshai-vivaldi-corelli-concerti-french-emi-cvhs-905-24-pg-catalog-issue-1

I really loved that LP, specially the Vivaldi concerti - they always have
been (and still are) my favorite Vivaldi.
RV 127 is very short (around 5 minutes) and is like many other concerti for
strings by Vivaldi (e.g. the much better known concerto "Alla rustica"). But
so much funnier. It is to me more or less a summary of Vivaldi in 5 minutes
;-) A perfect antidote to all Bruckner 8 and Mahler 3 symphonies. ;-)
There's always time for this little gem.
La notte is a remarkable piece, with 5 (or 6) movements. It is a little
misterious, dark, It exists in 2 or more versions; the version for flute and
bassoon is the preferred one.
Regrettably I have never seen those Barshai recordings on CD. I suppose such
a CD does not exist. I remember these performances as very good, with a warm
sound.
However I have a lot of recordings of both Vivaldi concerti. My favorite
recordings at this moment are by the Venice Baroque Orchestra with Andrea
Marcon (on Archiv) for RV 127 - at high speed: 3:40 - and for la Notte:
Harnoncourt (on Teldec) and the Bach-Mozart Ensemble Tokyo with Masahiro
Arita (on Denon), not a very evident source for an excellent Vivaldi
recording. The Harnoncourt version is quite contrasting, for special
occasions only -

Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
g***@gmail.com
https://www.talkclassical.com/50750-your-favorite-op-antonio.html
Raymond Hall
2020-06-25 07:41:47 UTC
Post by Gerard
La notte is a remarkable piece, with 5 (or 6) movements. It is a little
misterious, dark, It exists in 2 or more versions; the version for flute and
bassoon is the preferred one.
I have some of Vivaldi's bassoon concertos, but spread over many discs. The bassoon really stands out for me, rather than string against strings. An agile instrument too.
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
Recently picked up Biondi's 9cd box of op.3,4,8,9, and several other cds devoted to mandolin, and other assortments of solo instruments. A tad breathless in tempi, but enjoyable and with really chunky accompaniments from Europa Galante

I still enjoy Marriner for L'estro armonica, Stravaganza and Brown for La Cetra. L'estro armonica is one of my favourite Vivaldi opusii.

2020-06-25 09:59:48 UTC
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
Recently picked up Biondi's 9cd box of op.3,4,8,9, and several other cds
devoted to mandolin, and other assortments of solo instruments. A tad
breathless in tempi, but enjoyable and with really chunky accompaniments
from Europa Galante

I still enjoy Marriner for L'estro armonica, Stravaganza and Brown for La
Cetra. L'estro armonica is one of my favourite Vivaldi opusii.

Thanks, I should invest in some bassoon concertos indeed. Did Biondi make
recordings of those? I'm listening now to his recordings of 'La notte' -
this one is well done, but without the bassoon.
I have some other discs with Biondi - too many already for looking for his 9
cd box.
Generally I like Podger's recordings a little better than Biondi's for opus
3,4 and 9. And there are so many recordings with compilations of different
kinds of concertos. Those 'mixes' are nice for playing a whole Vivaldi disc
;-)

Quite recently recordings by ensembles like La Serenissima, I Barocchisti
and Gli Incogniti came this way. I really like those ensembles who play very
enthousiastically on period instruments.
It was Hogwood with his recording from 1976 of the opus 10 flute concertos
who "turned me on" to the period instruments for this music. But now he
sounds stiff compared to the other mentioned ensembles. So do Marriner and
Pinnock, and I Musici to name just another one of the "old" Vivaldi
champions.
Al Eisner
2020-06-27 01:33:11 UTC
Post by Gerard
[...]
Somewhat in parallel to Ray's response: I hear a lot of Vivaldi's
violin concerti, he was also a very good cvomposer of oboe concerti,
and it's abit of a relief to hear some of these delightful works.
Although I have not done a systematic survey of recordings, I can
recommend the still-available complete set (including some for 2 oboes)
on Brilliant Classics (Amazon ASIN B00J3FHYO8).

2020-06-27 09:25:55 UTC
"Al Eisner" wrote in message news:***@iris01.slac.stanford.edu...

[cleaning up my subject line]
Post by Gerard
[...]

-------------------

Thanks. I should have mentioned oboe concerti. Some of them are gems.
I have this set on Brilliant Classics, and some other 'cousins' of it (like
opus 7, 8 and 10 - the flute concerti opus 10 a little disappointing) as
well. Guglielmo did a whole bunch for Brilliant Classics. 20 cds with the
complete concertos and sonates opus 1 - 12.
Here is a review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/May/Vivaldi_concertos_95200.htm
c***@gmail.com
2020-06-25 15:03:04 UTC
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
My all-time favorite Vivaldi record is a Magda Kalmar collection featuring Laudate pueri. I brings me joy every time I listen to it. https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8044909--vivaldi-laudate-pueri-dominum-in-furore-iustissimae-irae-nulla-in-mundo-pax-sincera

Next, recordings of choral music by the Budapest Madrigal Choir and soloists, conducted by Ferenc Szekeres, starting with this one: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8044910--vivaldi-sacred-choral-works

Juditha Triumphans -- I think Savall's live performance is best overall but Magdalena Kožená (w/ De Marchi on Naive) is essential. See what you think at
Gives me chills.

And finally a long-time favorite" Paul Makanowitzky's "La Cetra."

AC
sci.space
2020-06-26 12:33:46 UTC
Thought I was the only one who liked the Magda Kalmar Vivaldi LP. I also have an LP of her singing some Handel, another favorite of mine.
Jerry
2020-06-27 02:39:04 UTC
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
The Vivaldi recording that I go to most often is Claudio Scimone's Erato disc (ECD 88042) of mandolin concerti (RV 532; RV 425; RV 558; RV 93). Even if you're familiar with these delightful works as guitar concerti, it's worth
getting this recording.

Jerry
number_six
2020-06-27 18:27:45 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
The Vivaldi recording that I go to most often is Claudio Scimone's Erato disc (ECD 88042) of mandolin concerti (RV 532; RV 425; RV 558; RV 93). Even if you're familiar with these delightful works as guitar concerti, it's worth
getting this recording.
Jerry
Agree re Scimone for mandolin concerti. Kapp is also good.

Klaus Thunemann for bassoon concerti.
Gerard
2020-06-28 10:40:20 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
The Vivaldi recording that I go to most often is Claudio Scimone's Erato
disc (ECD 88042) of mandolin concerti (RV 532; RV 425; RV 558; RV 93).
Even if you're familiar with these delightful works as guitar concerti,
it's worth
getting this recording.
Jerry
Agree re Scimone for mandolin concerti. Kapp is also good.

Klaus Thunemann for bassoon concerti.

In one of the piles here at home I found an interesting Vivaldi CD, with my
2 favorite concertos on it! The title is "The French Connection". Played by
La Serenissima, leader Adrian Chandler, on Avie. And La Notte is with flute
and bassoon! Very good, but not my favorite recording.
There is also a CD named "The French Connection 2" - also nice.
These recordings by La Serenissima on Avie are very nice because they have
very mixed programs: different kinds of concertos. I like the playing and
recordings very much.

OTOH these CDs are not the way to explore one kind of concertoes like
bassoon concertos. As Klaus Thunemann is with I Musici I think I have to
look elsewhere.
For bassoon concertos I was more thinking about recordings like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Concerti-Fagotto-Concertos-2015-11-13/dp/B01K8KV8RU/
with Sergio Azzolini - on Naïve.
Gerard
2020-06-29 09:24:14 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Gerard
[...]

I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?
Raymond Hall
2020-06-29 23:22:38 UTC
I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?

Have you tried Nunez with ASMF/Marriner?

2020-06-30 11:48:44 UTC
"Raymond Hall" wrote in message news:90a520ee-d22f-4c17-960c-***@googlegroups.com...

I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?

Have you tried Nunez with ASMF/Marriner?

---------------------

No. This seems OOP.
Anyway, for me Marriner is not the way to go with Vivaldi.

Yesterday Johan van Veen published a review of a recording with La
Serenissima/Adrian Chandler ("the Godfather" - a CD I have) and his remark
about La Serenissima is striking:

"This is a most interesting programme, which is given pretty good
performances by La Serenissima. However, these are also very British
performances. I am sure that top-class German ensembles, such as the
Freiburger Barockorchester, would play this music differently. And Italians
would play Vivaldi with more passion than is the case here, as we shall see.
Even so, I urge anyone to investigate this disc which will give you as much
pleasure as it gave me."

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/SignumClassics_SIGCD602_Arcana_A472.html

This applies to other recordings with La Serenissima as well. Pretty good -
but very British. Less British than Hogwood or Pinnock i.m.o. for sure. And
very very less British than Marriner.

I have also listened now to a set of hoboe concertos and a set of cello
concertos. Again I did not find works that really stand out, except for 2
hoboe concertos. I think that this is typical for most Vivaldi concertos.
Violin concertos and flute (or recorder) concertos probably have the most
exceptions to the "rule" 'they come a dime a dozen'.
Frank Berger
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/artists/5665/browse
Gerard
2020-06-30 13:20:55 UTC

----------------------------

Thanks. Sounds good ;-)
Gerard
2020-06-30 13:31:52 UTC
Post by Gerard
I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?
Have you tried Nunez with ASMF/Marriner?
---------------------
No. This seems OOP.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/artists/5665/browse

--------------------------

Really nice.
I've ordered this one:
https://www.dodax.nl/nl-nl/muziek-cds-dvds-vinylplaten/muziek-voor-solo-instrumenten/vivaldi-antonio-vivaldi-bassoon-concertos-dpHUV58J04VVJ/
Gerard
2020-06-30 13:40:13 UTC
Post by Gerard
I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?
Have you tried Nunez with ASMF/Marriner?
---------------------
No. This seems OOP.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/artists/5665/browse

----------------------------------

I see now why I did not find it before. Marriner is not the conductor here
(Tomo Keller is).
Gerard
2020-06-30 15:18:53 UTC
"Raymond Hall" wrote in message news:90a520ee-d22f-4c17-960c-***@googlegroups.com...

I listened to a few bassoon concertos on CD and to snippets on the web of
the Naïve recordings by Azzolini (these are almost everywhere no longer
available!). So I got the impression that probably there are no real
favorites among these concertos, no works that really stand out. Am I wrong?
Are some really recommendable bassoon concertos by Vivaldi?

Have you tried Nunez with ASMF/Marriner?

Thanks (to you and to Frank) for bringing this up. I have tried him now. But
without Marriner ;-)
These are probably all the Vivaldi bassoon concertos one needs (IF one neds
any).

I was getting tired of listening to so much Vivaldi during the last days.
But this PentaTone recording has "made my day".
Raymond Hall
2020-06-30 20:07:48 UTC
Glad u like it Gerard. I will put Nunez in memory but for me there is also Thunemann and reviews give the 5 Naxos CDs a nod too, covering 31 of the bassoon concerti. Vivaldi wrote 37 of them.

Ray Hall, Hall
Gerard
2020-06-30 20:42:11 UTC
"Raymond Hall" wrote in message news:341596a3-549d-4cc3-aab0-***@googlegroups.com...

Glad u like it Gerard. I will put Nunez in memory but for me there is also
Thunemann and reviews give the 5 Naxos CDs a nod too, covering 31 of the
bassoon concerti. Vivaldi wrote 37 of them.

Ray Hall, Hall
---------------------------------------

39 I've read here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Mar/Vivaldi_bassoon_v4_OP30551.htm

20 have been recorded on naïve - says that review. Maybe new volumes have
appeared since that?
Gerard
2020-07-01 10:35:28 UTC
"Raymond Hall" wrote in message news:341596a3-549d-4cc3-aab0-***@googlegroups.com...

Glad u like it Gerard. I will put Nunez in memory but for me there is also
Thunemann and reviews give the 5 Naxos CDs a nod too, covering 31 of the
bassoon concerti. Vivaldi wrote 37 of them.

Ray Hall, Hall
Accidentally I found another ravishing recording, by Grazzi and Ensemble
Zefiro.
https://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Ensemble-Zefiro-Alberto-Grazzi/dp/B073J8DNBP
Listen to this:

The sound of that bassoon! Irresistable!
Of course this had to be ordered immediately as well ;-)

Gerard
2020-07-01 10:13:23 UTC
Post by Gerard
Do you have really favorite Vivaldi works/recordings? (not being the Four
Seasons of course)
The Vivaldi recording that I go to most often is Claudio Scimone's Erato
disc (ECD 88042) of mandolin concerti (RV 532; RV 425; RV 558; RV 93). Even
if you're familiar with these delightful works as guitar concerti, it's
worth
getting this recording.

Jerry
I should relisten to the mandolin concerti indeed. I have 2 recordings with
concerti for mandolin (on one of them also concerto for lute) with Biondi
and with Il Giardino Armonico - OMG, those guys are "wild" ;-)
I could not find the Biondi disc; it was on a wrong pile.
I remember always having enjoyed Pinnock's recording of a concerto for 2
mandolins. A very nice work.
However, I also remember I have never liked Scimone (in Vivaldi or other
composers).