Opus 18...
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 22:23:54 UTC
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor...I wanted to choose
the three "best" interpretations...It was actually quite quite
difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than the other
!....

Finally, my three favorites are :
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...

But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
M&S Frost
2021-01-06 23:18:57 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor...I wanted to choose
the three "best" interpretations...It was actually quite quite
difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than the other
!....
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...
But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
I'm partial to two sets: The Turner Quartet (OOP, I believe) and the Emerson. Both on the fast side and very sprightly and light on their feet.

MIFrost
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 23:41:12 UTC
Post by M&S Frost
I'm partial to two sets: The Turner Quartet (OOP, I believe) and the Emerson.
Both on the fast side and very sprightly and light on their feet.
Harmonia Mundi for Turner...
I'm afraid that dk will put your choices on the back burner...
Mandryka
2021-01-12 18:21:48 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor...I wanted to choose
the three "best" interpretations...It was actually quite quite
difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than the other
!....
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...
But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
If you can stream then check Quatuor Zaïde in op 18/3. And the Eybler Quartet.