Beethoven's Triple Concerto
John Smith
2008-11-19 02:18:35 UTC
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?

Thanks in advance.
Matthew Silverstein
2008-11-19 03:03:09 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Zinman and Co. on Arte Nova.

Matty
Simon Roberts
2008-11-19 15:37:42 UTC
In article <***@40tude.net>, Matthew Silverstein
says...
Post by Matthew Silverstein
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Zinman and Co. on Arte Nova.
Agree. Also, even though there's no conductor as such (I forget who presided
when I saw them do it live in the late 1970s) Collegium Aureum on DHM (perhaps
still in print somewhere).

Simon
D***@aol.com
2008-11-19 19:46:26 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Zinman and Co. on Arte Nova.
Agree. �Also, even though there's no conductor as such (I forget who presided
when I saw them do it live in the late 1970s) Collegium Aureum on DHM (perhaps
still in print somewhere).
Simon
I haven't heard Zinman, but can imagine that it's superb. A favorite
of mine is the version from Marlboro conducted by Alexander Schneider
with Rudolf Serkin, Jaime Laredo, Leslie Parnas, and the Marlboro
Festival Orchestra. I own the Columbia LP version, MS 6564, but
there's probably been a CD reissue. The energy they all bring to the
work is extraordinary in my experience. They don't seem interested in
making the concerto into a profound "masterwork," which I think one
could argue it isn't anyway or perhaps wasn't meant to be. The
concerto simply blasts off from the beginning, and Schneider plays a
major role in that.

Don Tait
Sol L. Siegel
2008-11-20 05:38:45 UTC
A favorite of mine is the version from Marlboro conducted by
Alexander Schneider with Rudolf Serkin, Jaime Laredo, Leslie
Parnas, and the Marlboro Festival Orchestra. I own the Columbia
LP version, MS 6564, but there's probably been a CD reissue.
Yes, on Masterworks Portrait, coupled with the Brahms double with
Stern/Rose/Ormandy.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-11-19 04:48:07 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
Weingartner!
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Dan
2008-11-19 06:02:20 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
Check out Jean Martinon with the Radio France Orchestra in a live
early-'70s broadcast performance on the Doremi label. I have heard no
better recording.
RiRiIII
2008-11-19 08:59:23 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
Fricsay on DG Originals. The revelation!

Alex
EM
2008-11-19 19:30:45 UTC
Post by RiRiIII
Fricsay
Anda - Schneiderhan - Fournier - RSO Berlin

With the Brahms double concerto
(Schneiderhan - Starker - RSO Berlin)

EM
Terry
2008-11-19 22:00:37 UTC
Post by EM
Post by RiRiIII
Fricsay
Anda - Schneiderhan - Fournier - RSO Berlin
With the Brahms double concerto
(Schneiderhan - Starker - RSO Berlin)
EM
That's the one I'd go for.
--
Cheers!

Terry
Michael Schaffer
2008-11-19 20:03:09 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
The triple concerto is a piece I am particularly fond of, and my
favorite recording is Mutter/Ma/Zeltser/BP/Karajan on DG. The finale
is particularly groovy in this recording.
Neil
2008-11-19 20:50:40 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
Beaux Arts Trio,Mazur,Gewandhaus

Neil Miller, author: The Piano Lessons Book & Piano Classics Analyzed
Methods and theory for confident memorized performances.
To buy, or view pages, search at Amazon.com and books.google.com –
Neil Miller Piano Lessons Book or Neil Miller Piano Analyzed
t***@yahoo.com
2008-11-19 21:38:18 UTC
I realize it's somewhat of a chestnut of a recording,but what about
the Von Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh ?

Although somewhat abbreviated I also like the one on Columbia ML 2059
with John Corligliano,Leonard Rose,Walter Hendl,Bruno Walter,and the
PSONY.

There was a particularly good mono one on Decca/London,but I can't
recall who did it offhand.

Roger
Simon Roberts
2008-11-19 22:15:50 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
I realize it's somewhat of a chestnut of a recording,but what about
the Von Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh ?
It's one of the few recordings which feature impressive soloists plus impressive
(if perhaps a bit overblown, though EMI's engineering may have something to do
with that) conducting/orchestral support plus at least tolerable recorded sound
(several otherwise good-to-excellent performances are sabotaged by engineering
which shoves the orchestra into the background). There's a sense of overkill
about the whole thing, but I still think it's one of the better recordings of
this piece.

Another that's well worth seeking out, but decidedly not a chestnut (and it may
not even be still in print), is the recording on Hungaroton with Perenyi and co.
(I can't remember the names of any of the other participants!). So to is the
recording with Argerich and co on EMI - the conducting is nothing special, but
the soloists certainly are. (EMI must have the, um, record for recordings of
this piece? They also have a pretty good recording cond. Masur, a rather
ordinary one cond. Sargent, the aforementioned Karajan, a performance with
Barenboim, and perhaps others I'm forgetting.)

Simon
Gerard
2008-11-19 22:28:07 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
In article
Post by t***@yahoo.com
[...]
Another nice recording is the one by Howard Shelley (with Roll, Kantorow and
Wallfisch) on the label of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (I think this has
been issued on SACD as well).
Johannes Roehl
2008-11-19 22:53:18 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Simon Roberts
In article
Post by t***@yahoo.com
[...]
This is surprisingly good (like at least some of Roll's piano
concertos). Rather fast and straightforward. It's been I while since
I've listened (don't really care for the piece all that much), but
before I got Zinman etc. it used to be a favorite.

Johannes
D***@aol.com
2008-11-19 22:45:40 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
I realize it's somewhat of a chestnut of a recording,but what about
the Von Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh ?
Although somewhat abbreviated I also like the one on Columbia ML 2059
with John Corligliano,Leonard Rose,Walter Hendl,Bruno Walter,and the
PSONY.
�There �was a particularly good mono one on Decca/London,but I can't
recall who did it offhand.
� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � Roger
How is the Walter-conducted recording abbreviated? I find no notes
about cuts in my copy of Columbia ML 2059 (10"). Nor in my copy of the
circa 1958 12" reissue, ML 5368. What information do you have? Please
advise us all.

Don Tait
D***@aol.com
2008-11-20 19:44:26 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
I realize it's somewhat of a chestnut of a recording,but what about
the Von Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh ?
Although somewhat abbreviated I also like the one on Columbia ML 2059
with John Corligliano,Leonard Rose,Walter Hendl,Bruno Walter,and the
PSONY.
There was a particularly good mono one on Decca/London,but I can't
recall who did it offhand.
Roger
�How is the Walter-conducted recording abbreviated? I find no notes
about cuts in my copy of Columbia ML 2059 (10"). Nor in my copy of the
circa 1958 12" reissue, ML 5368. What information do you have? Please
advise us all.
� Don Tait
No reply to this question. So I state here that Bruno Walter's NYPSO
recording of the Triple Concerto with Corigilano, Rose, and Hendl is
NOT abbreviated or cut.

Don Tait
Recovered Reviewer
2008-11-20 21:47:48 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
I realize it's somewhat of a chestnut of a recording,but what about
the Von Karajan/Richter/Oistrakh ?
Although somewhat abbreviated I also like the one on Columbia ML 2059
with John Corligliano,Leonard Rose,Walter Hendl,Bruno Walter,and the
PSONY.
There was a particularly good mono one on Decca/London,but I can't
recall who did it offhand.
Roger
�How is the Walter-conducted recording abbreviated? I find no notes
about cuts in my copy of Columbia ML 2059 (10"). Nor in my copy of the
circa 1958 12" reissue, ML 5368. What information do you have? Please
advise us all.
No reply to this question. So I state here that Bruno Walter's
NYPSO recording of the Triple Concerto with Corigilano, Rose,
and Hendl is NOT abbreviated or cut.
This is the second time in recent memory whyen Roger has been unresponsive
to calls for explication. Don is quite right, the recording in question is
absolutely uncut.

To all relative newcomers posting on rmcr:
When you don't know what you're talking about,
and you know you don't know, put a sock in it.
If you think a lie will somehow forward your argument.
think again. Somebody here will recognize your ignorance
or prevarication for what it is, and just might call you out on it.

cheers
John Wiser
Jicotea Used Books
Howells NY 10932 0136 USA
***@frontiernet.net
http://www.amazon.com/shops/ceeclef

Roger
2008-11-20 11:48:23 UTC
Post by John Smith
Any recommendations from conducting standpoint?
Thanks in advance.
I'm exceedingly fond of the one by Myung-Whun Chung conducting and
soloing alongside his sisters. Musically, it can hold its own with
almost anything I've heard and the recorded sound is a far sight
better than in some of the others that have been mentioned.
RiRiIII