Die Meistersinger on video
2020-06-27 14:21:04 UTC
Which of the video recordings of Die Meistersinger are you guys liking?

Last one I watched was Bayreuth 2017 which I enjoyed

There's also these and maybe more:
Bayreuth/Horst Stein 2006
VPO/Gatti 2014
Glyndebourne/Jurowski 2012
Met/Levine 2005
Vienna/Thielemann 2005
Nurnberg/Bosch 2012
Hamburg/Ludwig 2007
Bayreuth/Barenboim 2008
Bayreuth/Weigle 2010
Berlin/Fruhbeck de Burgos 1995
Ned.PO/Albrecht 2013
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-06-27 16:40:11 UTC
http://youtu.be/2KRj8GKGocs
Bayreuth Stein, Glyndebourne Jurowski and MET Levine - all traditional and beautiful which is the way I like my Meistersinger
wkasimer
2020-06-27 16:46:47 UTC
I agree - I particularly like the Glyndebourne with Finley as Sachs.
Andy Evans
2020-06-27 20:08:15 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Bayreuth Stein, Glyndebourne Jurowski and MET Levine - all traditional and beautiful which is the way I like my Meistersinger
Certainly good things here. Do you mean the Met 2001 telecast with Mattila? I much prefer her Eva to the Glyndebourne production. I can't say I like the Stein too much - pretty hammy acting and I don't think trying to be clever-clever suits Wagner. Not as bad as the 1995 F.de Burgos production which is embarrassing, Eva specially.

But I agree that traditional is the way to go here. There are some examples of trying to be clever that fall flat on their face.
y***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 06:18:35 UTC
I love the 2001 DVD with Levine and the Met with Morris, Mattila, Heppner, Allen, Pape, Polenzani, and Grove. Schenk's traditional production glows with beauty. And what a performance...
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-06-27 18:37:58 UTC
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 07:21:04 -0700 (PDT), Andy Evans
Post by Andy Evans
Which of the video recordings of Die Meistersinger are you guys liking?
Last one I watched was Bayreuth 2017 which I enjoyed
http://youtu.be/2KRj8GKGocs
Was the whole thing performed in Wagner's living room? I quit
watching when they tried to get Kapellmeister Levi to act
appropriately during the opening church scene. I can see why there
have been a long series of Meistersinger failures in Bayreuth.
g***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 15:32:48 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/humanities.music.composers.wagner/meistersinger%7Csort:relevance/humanities.music.composers.wagner/Zj0C6BHRNzU/CvVnhX7aFr8J