Chopin: Piano Concerto no 1 in E-Minor.
Jason Gaylor
2008-10-06 22:36:00 UTC
Hi, I need some help finding a particular piece. I was watching the film
"The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane"(1976) which is one of Jodie
Fosters early roles and a very underrated film at that. She play's a
classical piece of music that I really enjoy in a few scenes. It's
Chopin's "Piano Concerto No 1 in E- Minor". I would like to have the
specific version that she play's in the film. I did a little research
online and found out that it's from 1968 or 1970 on the Philips record
label. It's the London Philharmonic Orchestra with Elianu Inbal
conducting and Claudio Arrau on piano. Are there any Cd's wth this
specific version available? Can someone post a Real Audio(G2) version
here on the newsgroup if possible? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks! Jason
Steve de Mena
2008-10-06 23:09:38 UTC
Post by Jason Gaylor
Hi, I need some help finding a particular piece. I was watching the film
"The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane"(1976) which is one of Jodie
Fosters early roles and a very underrated film at that. She play's a
classical piece of music that I really enjoy in a few scenes. It's
Chopin's "Piano Concerto No 1 in E- Minor". I would like to have the
specific version that she play's in the film. I did a little research
online and found out that it's from 1968 or 1970 on the Philips record
label. It's the London Philharmonic Orchestra with Elianu Inbal
conducting and Claudio Arrau on piano. Are there any Cd's wth this
specific version available? Can someone post a Real Audio(G2) version
here on the newsgroup if possible? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks! Jason
Here is the CD:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000416B

Steve
Jason Gaylor
2008-10-07 01:44:25 UTC
Here is the CD:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000416B
Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks!
Just to make sure, that is the specific version from that film right?
Jason
M. A.
2008-10-07 07:29:33 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000416B
Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks!
Just to make sure, that is the specific version from that film right?
Jason
Arrau made (only) two recordings of Chopins first Concerto:

Once in 1954 with Klemperer (released on various labels) and again 1970 with
Inbal (on Philips).

So yes, if it is the Inbal performance you're looking for, the CD Steve
pointed you is to the right one.

M. A.
td
2008-10-07 09:36:20 UTC
Post by M. A.
Post by Steve de Mena
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000416B
Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks!
Just to make sure, that is the specific version from that film right?
Jason
Once in 1954 with Klemperer (released on various labels) and again 1970 with
Inbal (on Philips).
So yes, if it is the Inbal performance you're looking for, the CD Steve
pointed you is to the right one.
Actually, Arrau did not "make" that recording. It's a pirate recording
which he did not approve.

TD
M. A.
2008-10-07 14:27:52 UTC
Post by td
Post by M. A.
Once in 1954 with Klemperer (released on various labels) and again
1970 with Inbal (on Philips).
Actually, Arrau did not "make" that recording. It's a pirate recording
which he did not approve.
Did he just not approve or did he reject it?

(I'm talking about artistic judgment, not the legal issues involved.)

M. A.
D***@aol.com
2008-10-07 17:44:08 UTC
Post by M. A.
Post by td
Post by M. A.
Once in 1954 with Klemperer (released on various labels) and again
1970 with Inbal (on Philips).
Actually, Arrau did not "make" that recording. It's a pirate recording
which he did not approve.
Did he just not approve or did he reject it?
(I'm talking about artistic judgment, not the legal issues involved.)
M. A.
I don't mean to barge in, but the recording with Klemperer was a
live performance recorded (if I recall correctly) off the radio. Arrau
probably neither knew that someone would later issue a pirate LP et
cetera of it nor was given the opportunity to approve or reject it.

Which would mean, using the process of elimination, that (according
to what was written here before) Arrau made only one commercial
recording -- the one with Inbal.

Don Tait
Todd Schurk
2008-10-07 18:08:11 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
Post by M. A.
Post by td
Post by M. A.
Once in 1954 with Klemperer (released on various labels) and again
1970 with Inbal (on Philips).
Actually, Arrau did not "make" that recording. It's a pirate recording
which he did not approve.
Did he just not approve or did he reject it?
(I'm talking about artistic judgment, not the legal issues involved.)
M. A.
I don't mean to barge in, but the recording with Klemperer was a
live performance recorded (if I recall correctly) off the radio. Arrau
probably neither knew that someone would later issue a pirate LP et
cetera of it nor was given the opportunity to approve or reject it.
Which would mean, using the process of elimination, that (according
to what was written here before) Arrau made only one commercial
recording -- the one with Inbal.
Don Tait
Actually, Arrau was aware of the recording with Klemperer/Cologne made
in 1954 (Conversations with Arrau-Joseph Horowitz) and had listened to
it circa the mid to late '80's. He commented that he upon hearing it
after the passage of 30+ years he found it "slightly disappointing"
but I don't think he made any effort to banish it outright. (He often
thought his earlier recordings were "too fast") Todd
M. A.
2008-10-07 18:21:23 UTC
Post by Todd Schurk
Actually, Arrau was aware of the recording with Klemperer/Cologne made
in 1954 (Conversations with Arrau-Joseph Horowitz) and had listened to
it circa the mid to late '80's. He commented that he upon hearing it
after the passage of 30+ years he found it "slightly disappointing"
but I don't think he made any effort to banish it outright.
Thanks for that information.
Post by Todd Schurk
(He often thought his earlier recordings were "too fast")
Of course! :-)

M. A.
Rugby
2008-10-07 18:57:35 UTC
On Oct 7, 1:08 pm, Todd Schurk <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
. (He often
thought his earlier recordings were "too fast") Todd- Hide quoted text -
Interesting.Thanks.

Klemperer AND Arrau too fast ?!

Rugby
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-10-07 19:12:48 UTC
Rugby <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:e32dea4e-d2cc-4393-9bf3-9216c0717124
Post by Rugby
(He often thought his earlier recordings were "too fast") Todd
Interesting.Thanks.
Klemperer AND Arrau too fast ?!
You should hear some of Klemperer's recordings and performances from the
1930s. In particular, try his New Year's Day 1938 concert with the Los
Angeles Philharmonic, on Symposium 1204. Berlioz "Benvenuto Cellini"
Overture, Debussy "Prélude à l'après midi d'un faune," Richard Strauss' "Till
Eulenspiegel," and as fleet a Mozart "Haffner" as you'll ever hear!
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
D***@aol.com
2008-10-07 19:31:13 UTC
Post by Rugby
(He often thought his earlier recordings were "too fast") Todd
Interesting.Thanks.
Klemperer AND Arrau too fast ?!
You should hear some of Klemperer's recordings and performances from the
1930s. �In particular, try his New Year's Day 1938 concert with the Los
Angeles Philharmonic, on Symposium 1204. �Berlioz "Benvenuto Cellini"
Overture, Debussy "Pr�lude � l'apr�s midi d'un faune," Richard Strauss' "Till
Eulenspiegel," and as fleet a Mozart "Haffner" as you'll ever hear!
Plus some of Klemperer's Vox recordings from the early 1950s,
including the Mendelssohn "Italian" Symphony and a Mozart 36 ("Linz")
that might still set some sort of speed record. At least until some
recent HIP versions.

Don Tait
Todd Schurk
2008-10-07 20:11:30 UTC
Post by Todd Schurk
. (He often
thought his earlier recordings were "too fast") Todd- Hide quoted text -
Interesting.Thanks.
Klemperer AND Arrau too fast ?!
Rugby
Arrau/Klemperer are only about a minute and a half slower than Pollini/
Kletzki in the Chopin E-minor concerto. Not much in a 40 minute work.
Jason Gaylor
2008-10-08 02:51:34 UTC
Thanks all. I'm on the right track, now. Jason
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-10-07 19:12:47 UTC
Actually, Arrau was aware of the recording with Klemperer/Cologne made in
1954 (Conversations with Arrau-Joseph Horowitz) and had listened to it
circa the mid to late '80's. He commented that he upon hearing it after the
passage of 30+ years he found it "slightly disappointing" but I don't think
he made any effort to banish it outright. (He often thought his earlier
recordings were "too fast") Todd
I haven't read that particular Joe Horowitz book. Does he somehow manage to
shoehorn in his usual Toscanini-bashing?
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
D***@aol.com
2008-10-07 19:27:59 UTC
Actually, Arrau was aware of the recording with Klemperer/Cologne made in
1954 (Conversations with Arrau-Joseph Horowitz) and had listened to it
circa the mid to late '80's. He commented that he upon hearing it after the
passage of 30+ years he found it "slightly disappointing" but I don't think
he made any effort to banish it outright. (He often thought his earlier
recordings were "too fast") Todd
I haven't read that particular Joe Horowitz book. �Does he somehow manage to
shoehorn in his usual Toscanini-bashing?
In that book, as I recall, Horowitz writes virtually nothing. He
(ostensibly) quotes Arrau. The Toscanini-bashing comes from Arrau. He
is quoted as saying that Toscanini was essentially a poor and over-
rated conductor whose performances Arrau disliked, with no
understanding of most music except for the Bacchanale from Tannhauser,
which Arrau was quoted as saying Toscanini did tremendously. But one
imagines that Arrau's dislike of Toscanini's conducting must have been
welcomed by Horowitz, and that he'd have been pleased to include it in
the book.

Don Tait
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-10-08 04:23:03 UTC
***@aol.com appears to have caused the following letters to be
typed in news:11affab8-905e-499e-8062-
Post by D***@aol.com
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Todd Schurk
[...]
Thanks. I'm not particularly surprised.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Neil
2008-10-07 03:03:21 UTC
Post by Jason Gaylor
Hi, I need some help finding a particular piece. I was watching the film
"The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane"(1976) which is one of Jodie
Fosters early roles and a very underrated film at that. She play's a
classical piece of music that I really enjoy in a few scenes. It's
Chopin's "Piano Concerto No 1 in E- Minor". I would like to have the
specific version that she play's in the film. I did a little research
online and found out that it's from 1968 or 1970 on the Philips record
label. It's the London Philharmonic Orchestra with Elianu Inbal
conducting and Claudio Arrau on piano. Are there any Cd's wth this
specific version available?
There are many other recordings of it that you would like -- my
favorite is Pollini/Kletzki on EMI. Try your library.

Neil Miller, author: The Piano Lessons Book & Piano Classics Analyzed
Methods and theory for confident memorized performances. Amazon.com
Search: Neil Miller Piano Lessons Book or Neil Miller Piano Analyzed