PETTERSSON...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2021-10-02 22:21:01 UTC
It would be wrong to neglect *Allan PETTERSSON*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at CPO...
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-10-03 01:18:05 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
It would be wrong to neglect *Allan PETTERSSON*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at CPO...
I have been meaning to investigate, but then there is also a cycle of the symphonies on BIS. Which puts me in a quandary.

Ray Hall, Taree
Ed Presson
2021-10-03 17:25:15 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
It would be wrong to neglect *Allan PETTERSSON*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at CPO...
I have been meaning to investigate, but then there is also a cycle of the
symphonies on BIS. Which puts me in a quandary.
Ray Hall, Taree
I have recordings of nine of the symphonies (some in multiple performances),
and I would recommend starting with
Symphonies 6, 7, 8, and 9 which are the most approachable. No. 7 is
probably the best one, at least it's my
favorite. Christian Lindberg is recording a new cycle for BIS, very well
recorded, but with a smaller orchestra and I prefer
a large virtuoso orchestra for these works. Pettersson's symphonies are raw
enough already.

My favorite recordings are: (and I confess I have not heard all the
alternatives)

Symphony No. 6: Trojahn CPO 999124
Symphony No. 7: Segerstam BIS 580 and
Dorati on Discofil 1002
Symphony No. 8: Segerstam BIS 880
Symphony No. 9: Francis CP0 999231

Ed Presson
Frank Berger
There are excellent Pettersson symophony recordings on Discofil.
number_six
2021-10-04 23:20:28 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
It would be wrong to neglect *Allan PETTERSSON*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at CPO...
Have not heard the Pettersson set but did enjoy the Krenek set
Say, did I mention they're on cpo?