Scriabin Op. 42 No. 5 favorites
2017-06-10 21:52:20 UTC
Wondering what favorite versions are of Scriabin's Etude Op. 42 No. 5. I've listened to several and so far enjoy Sofronitsky, Kissin, Alexeev, and Lettberg most in this piece. I was somewhat disappointed by Horowitz and Richter, both of whom are among my favorite artists.

What some other recordings worth seeking out?

-P
Frank Berger
2017-06-10 22:18:11 UTC
Terence Judd and Nadia Reisenberg come to mind.
c***@gmail.com
2017-06-10 22:53:38 UTC
Aside from those already mentioned, the young Boris Berezovsky (the one on youtube is from May 2001, which is borderline but good enough).
Bozo
2017-06-10 23:01:19 UTC
( Ronald Turini, RCA,1961)

( Berman, 60’s ,Melodyia ? )
c***@gmail.com
2017-06-10 23:29:32 UTC
http://youtu.be/JmUnTiKHg0M ( Berman, 60’s ,Melodyia ? )
1963, Melodiya, and +1.

Gavrilov is worth a listen too, but primarily his EMI recording then (or a 1985 live recording, but IMO not his later performances).
Andy Evans
2017-06-11 12:08:25 UTC
Horowitz owns this etude for me. A few versions. Just the right unhinged restlessness and drama.

Richter and Nikonovich smooth it out - meh.

Sofronitsky is fascinating - some interesting insights, but doesn't hold together like Horowitz.
Randy Lane
2017-06-11 13:30:56 UTC
Several Kissin recordings exist.
I'll havr to dig some out, but I recall liking one a great deal more than Horowitz, just cannot remember which one.
Bozo
2017-06-11 20:33:14 UTC
( Mi-Yeon I , live )
HT
2017-06-11 21:01:41 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Horowitz owns this etude for me. A few versions. Just the right unhinged restlessness and drama.
Seconded.

Henk
Tony
2017-06-11 21:17:37 UTC
I have a soft spot for the 2 live recordings by Stanislav Neuhaus that I uploaded.

Otherwise Sofronitsky.
Tony
2017-06-11 21:19:35 UTC
Video with subtitles of Lev Naumov teaching the work

gggg gggg
2021-10-09 23:07:22 UTC
Post by P
Wondering what favorite versions are of Scriabin's Etude Op. 42 No. 5. I've listened to several and so far enjoy Sofronitsky, Kissin, Alexeev, and Lettberg most in this piece. I was somewhat disappointed by Horowitz and Richter, both of whom are among my favorite artists.
What some other recordings worth seeking out?
-P
(Recent Y. upload):

Scriabin: Etude No. 5, Op. 42 (Evgeny Kissin)