Holst's Planets - Mackerras
Add Reply
s***@nycap.rr.com
2018-04-30 20:56:01 UTC
I see that there are several different CD covers for this same recording, the Mackerras/Royal Liverpool Philharmonia Orch playing Holst's Planets. Is there any difference among them? Any difference in mastering, sound, etc.? Anyone know?

TIA

MIFrost
m***@gmail.com
2018-04-30 21:37:52 UTC
Color me doubtful. Any will do, and some for a penny plus shipping, a steal.
s***@nycap.rr.com
2018-04-30 22:50:16 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
I see that there are several different CD covers for this same recording, the Mackerras/Royal Liverpool Philharmonia Orch playing Holst's Planets. Is there any difference among them? Any difference in mastering, sound, etc.? Anyone know?
TIA
MIFrost
Color me doubtful. Any will do, and some for a penny plus shipping, a steal.
That was my thought too. Just checking, though.

MIFrost
g***@gmail.com
2018-05-01 00:50:40 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
I see that there are several different CD covers for this same recording, the Mackerras/Royal Liverpool Philharmonia Orch playing Holst's Planets. Is there any difference among them? Any difference in mastering, sound, etc.? Anyone know?
TIA
MIFrost
It's ranked #38 on this list:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/
Andrew Clarke
2018-05-01 01:05:26 UTC
https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/
Eighteen places down from Alberto Lizzio and The Festival Orchestra ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Frank Berger
The list is ridiculous, IMO. Some really dull performances are highly ranked.
Kerrison
2018-05-01 06:47:10 UTC
Mackerras conducted The Planets at the 2009 Proms in London, aged 84, and died the following year. As is often the case, televised Proms are uploaded onto YouTube, that great archive of classical music, and here he is in Holst's most popular work, with each planet having been uploaded separately, starting with Mars ...

Mark Zimmer
The Comments section, however, is a hoot.
MIFrost
2018-07-04 18:36:58 UTC
What I have and in order of preference:

Steinberg/Pittsburg
Mackerras/RPO
Mehta/LAPO
Dutoit/Montreal
Stokowski/LAPO

The first three are almost co-equal but I give the edge to Steinberg.

MIFrost
Raymond Hall
2018-07-04 19:01:41 UTC
-Steinberg/Pittsburg
-Mackerras/RPO
-Mehta/LAPO
-Dutoit/Montreal
-Stokowski/LAPO

-The first three are almost co-equal but I give the edge to Steinberg.

Ordered the Steinberg only last week. Coupled with Also Sprach. Then I read that Musicweb covers the SACD version as one of the CDs of the Month of Juneuh. The Steinberg has always been around in many different re-incarnations, so finally I relented. I have Handley, plus a few others, but none has really wowed me as this fabulous music should.

I gave thought to HvK, one of the Boults, Jurowski, but the Steinberg won out. I read that Steinberg only started to study the score at well past 70 years of age.

Ray Hall, Taree
MIFrost
2018-07-04 21:20:19 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
-Steinberg/Pittsburg
-Mackerras/RPO
-Mehta/LAPO
-Dutoit/Montreal
-Stokowski/LAPO
-The first three are almost co-equal but I give the edge to Steinberg.
Ordered the Steinberg only last week. Coupled with Also Sprach. Then I read that Musicweb covers the SACD version as one of the CDs of the Month of Juneuh. The Steinberg has always been around in many different re-incarnations, so finally I relented. I have Handley, plus a few others, but none has really wowed me as this fabulous music should.
I gave thought to HvK, one of the Boults, Jurowski, but the Steinberg won out. I read that Steinberg only started to study the score at well past 70 years of age.
Ray Hall, Taree
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Just my humble opinion.

MIFrost
Ed Presson
2018-07-04 22:57:20 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]
For what it's worth, I concur.

Ed Presson
Not a Dentist
Ed Presson
MIFrost
2018-07-07 00:14:46 UTC
Post by Not a Dentist
Just a small correction: The Steinberg recording is with Boston, NOT Pittsburgh.
Ah yes. My mistake.

MIFrost
g***@gmail.com
Mackerras' studio recording of Neptune on Youtube is pretty good.
Frank Berger
2018-05-01 01:05:56 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
I see that there are several different CD covers for this same recording, the Mackerras/Royal Liverpool Philharmonia Orch playing Holst's Planets. Is there any difference among them? Any difference in mastering, sound, etc.? Anyone know?
TIA
MIFrost
The recording was made in 1988 and released first in 1988 and again in 1992
Couldn't find a more recent release. Seems doubtful the two would be different.
I did see a pretty good review. I have too many great Planets to investigate
another. My loss perhaps.