Liszt - Harmonies Poétiques et Religieuses
2019-09-22 16:05:11 UTC
An article in this past Friday's NYT of interest , courtesy of a poster at another group :

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/arts/music/liszt-poetic-religious-harmonies-green-wood.html

(#10 “Cantique d’amour”,with score ), Andrea Bonatta,pianist, Naive or Astree (?) cd.

( # 2, “Ave Maria” ), Bonatta,piano

complete set,Philip Thomson,Naxos (?) ,can select only ones you have not heard,audio only.

I am familiar with “Funerailles” and “Benediction de Dieu “ , and may have heard “Ave Maria” and “Miserere “ at one time, but other than the two famous ones, may not have heard any of the rest of the set previously. It is interesting to see “The Awaking Child’s Hymn”, # 6, is followed by “Funerailles”.

Amazon - US has a several complete sets ( but not Thomson’s ) , not sure yet whether I’ll acquire, as a bit much “pensee religieuses” for me. The jewel of the set is the “Benediction” , one of Liszt’s greatest solo works , for me .
HT
2019-09-22 17:33:02 UTC
The jewel of the set is the “Benediction” , one of Liszt’s greatest solo works, for me.
Agreed! Together with the too often performed sonata. It will be difficult to find an (original) Liszt that is as interesting.

Henk
y***@gmail.com
2019-09-22 19:29:09 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/arts/music/liszt-poetic-religious-harmonies-green-wood.html
http://youtu.be/vzHraNCqGIQ (#10 “Cantique d’amour”,with score ), Andrea Bonatta,pianist, Naive or Astree (?) cd.
http://youtu.be/B1NmUvS9AZY ( # 2, “Ave Maria” ), Bonatta,piano
http://youtu.be/jJIXU8ZxdA0 complete set,Philip Thomson,Naxos (?) ,can select only ones you have not heard,audio only.
Thank you for posting this, Bozo. I’m certainly in agreement with you about the Bénédiction. The early Brendel on Vox made quite an impression when I first heard it. I also have his later Philips version. The Arrau and Bolet performances are also magnificent. Just started listening to the Hough…
y***@gmail.com
2019-09-24 05:08:31 UTC

Bozo, thank you for reminding me about Villa’s marvelous performance – I can’t believe I had forgotten about him! I first heard this performance in the late 80’s on the radio in NYC and was absolutely mesmerized by it…
collector78
2019-09-26 00:20:01 UTC
I also love the LEVY performance.
Bozo
2019-09-26 00:57:53 UTC
Post by collector78
I also love the LEVY performance.
I enjoy that one, too, if the Marston cd recording, especially after Levy's " Hammerklavier" , Op.111, and Liszt B minor Sonata preceding on that cd set.