What Grooves Have You Worn Out?
JohnGavin
2021-04-04 19:38:18 UTC
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.

Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.

Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
Henk vT
2021-04-04 21:31:59 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
Rubinstein/Golschmann Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2
Cziffra Liszt recital. Angel records

Henk
Andy Evans
2021-04-04 22:04:39 UTC
I wish it were my golf clubs! I haven't played for 18 months now. Sad.
number_six
2021-04-04 22:24:19 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I wish it were my golf clubs! I haven't played for 18 months now. Sad.
there was a major discovery in Scotland of a paleolithic golf course...

it's being called "the missing links"
;-0
Henk vT
2021-04-04 22:24:23 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I wish it were my golf clubs! I haven't played for 18 months now. Sad.
<g> It is. You must play with a lot of spin. My golf clubs are 15 years old and the grooves still look as new.

Henk
r***@gmail.com
2021-04-09 00:20:08 UTC
I always thought golf was the perfect example of social isolation. Perhaps that's only the case when played in a UK spring or summer.
number_six
2021-04-04 22:05:29 UTC
listing some works, not performers-

Bach - Cantata 78
Ellington - The Mooche
Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras 1, 5
Stravinsky - Suite Italienne
McPhee - Tabuh-Tabuhan
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
M Monk - Dolmen Music
ten Holt - Lemniscaat
Britten - Sea Interludes
Bach Cello Suites
Mr. Mike
2021-04-05 00:48:50 UTC
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
One of my first LP purchases, Rozsa's soundtrack to Ben-Hur (not even
conducted by Rozsa) is pretty well-worn, due to the fact that I played
it a few times with a 78 RPM needle by mistake.

Ormandy's Also Sprach on Columbia (not well-regarded these days) also
got well-worn because I lent it to a friend who played it a bit too
much, so I had to buy another copy (this was over 55 years ago).

Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll's Streetnoise got kind of "worn"
because I lent it to a another friend who got it dusty and she cleaned
it with Pledge (usually used for furniture).
s***@yahoo.com
2021-04-05 02:45:10 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
As a teenager back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, one of my first classical music record purchases was a Hans Swarowsky LP entitled "A Treasury Of Symphonic Classics." Swarowsky conducted the "Vienna Festival Orchestra, which was one of those pseudonymous ensembles that a record producer likely concocted to avoid paying royalties. This LP contained some familiar overtures and other pieces that would likely appear in a pops concert. I listened to that record frequently, so the LP contained plenty of snaps, crackles, and pops. It was a favorite of mine, despite the monophonic sound. I still wish someone would reissue this one.

https://www.discogs.com/Vienna-Festival-Orchestra-Hans-Swarowsky-A-Treasury-Of-Symphonic-Classics/release/9121229

Steve
Frank Berger
2021-04-05 03:11:17 UTC
Prokofiev's sonatas for violin and piano by Perlman and Ashkenazy. I gave my copy to a friend when it started sounding worn and then found it was OOP. Eventually it came out on CD.
Bob Harper
2021-04-05 18:32:58 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn
out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the
record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the
grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace
the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came
out around 1970.  Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
Prokofiev's sonatas for violin and piano by Perlman and Ashkenazy.  I
gave my copy to a friend when it started sounding worn and then found it
was OOP.  Eventually it came out on CD.
The Kubelik/CSO Pictures (Mercury MG 50000). My father got it at the
Chicago Audio Show, and it got played to death at our house.

Bob Harper
Al Eisner
2021-04-06 00:36:11 UTC
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
Groovy, man! In that case, Lupu's set of Schubert Impromptus (a lot of
that because of the music). This was likely the first CD I bought
(perhaps 8 or 10 years after CDs became widespread), occasioned by a
new car which had a CD player.
Al Eisner
Joseph Serraglio
Al Eisner
Alan Dawes
2021-04-09 10:20:21 UTC
Post by Joseph Serraglio
Horenstein & the LSO in Mahler 3 on Nonesuch. 24/7...Stacked on a changer and flipped.
That's a blast from the past. I was at the performance on 18th March 1965
at the Festival Hall London before the recording was made. I don't have
the LPs but many years ago I bought for 10 pounds from the Superdrug store
the Brilliant Classics 99549 "Mahler The Complete Symphonies" box set
which included it.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/nov00/mahler_symphonies.htm

Thanks for reminding me. It's about time I contacted the 3 school friends
I went with!

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Joseph Serraglio
Using an ARMX6
gggg gggg
2021-04-08 20:05:51 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
There used to be a saying, in the days of LP recordings - “I’ve worn out the grooves of that record“, meaning that you’ve listened to the record seemingly countless numbers of times. I’m not sure if the grooves literally wore out, possibly they did if you didn’t replace the needle frequently enough.
Anyway I wore out Michelangeli’s Debussy Images I and II when it came out around 1970. Ditto De Larrocha’s Iberia recorded in 1962.
Of course this can apply to CDs and streaming to accommodate modern times.
I understand that more and more young people don't understand the following:

- I don't want to sound like a broken record, but.............