Kipepeo again
2020-10-01 17:54:25 UTC
I was searching Amazon for a recording of Khachaturian's
Gayne suite by Rodzinski. Found the following and quickly
bought it. Says RCA on the label, right? Got it today and
found it to be a Kipepeo CD-R transfer. The ad does say the
label is Kipepeo, but that's the only indication that this
is not really an RCA CD. I don't even know if this was
copied from CD or transferred from LP.

https://tinyurl.com/y3d483sd
number_six
2020-10-02 17:30:10 UTC
I was searching Amazon for a recording of Khachaturian's
Gayne suite by Rodzinski. Found the following and quickly
bought it. Says RCA on the label, right? Got it today and
found it to be a Kipepeo CD-R transfer. The ad does say the
label is Kipepeo, but that's the only indication that this
is not really an RCA CD. I don't even know if this was
copied from CD or transferred from LP.
https://tinyurl.com/y3d483sd
Nice original cover.
How's the performance?
Frank Berger
Won't know until next week. No time for listening right now.
Bill Anderson
2020-10-03 04:07:38 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Frank Berger
I was searching Amazon for a recording of Khachaturian's
Gayne suite by Rodzinski. Found the following and quickly
bought it. Says RCA on the label, right? Got it today and
found it to be a Kipepeo CD-R transfer. The ad does say the
label is Kipepeo, but that's the only indication that this
is not really an RCA CD. I don't even know if this was
copied from CD or transferred from LP.
https://tinyurl.com/y3d483sd
Nice original cover.
How's the performance?
Yes, it is a nice reproduction - likely taken from Buster's Big 10 inch website.
He did a fine retrospective of the early Gayne recordings. His transfers of 10inch lps, classical and pop issues, are uniformly excellent.

https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2019/08/kurtz-sevitzky-golovanov-and-rodzinski.html
number_six
2020-10-03 18:03:17 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by number_six
Post by Frank Berger
I was searching Amazon for a recording of Khachaturian's
Gayne suite by Rodzinski. Found the following and quickly
bought it. Says RCA on the label, right? Got it today and
found it to be a Kipepeo CD-R transfer. The ad does say the
label is Kipepeo, but that's the only indication that this
is not really an RCA CD. I don't even know if this was
copied from CD or transferred from LP.
https://tinyurl.com/y3d483sd
Nice original cover.
How's the performance?
Yes, it is a nice reproduction - likely taken from Buster's Big 10 inch website.
He did a fine retrospective of the early Gayne recordings. His transfers of 10inch lps, classical and pop issues, are uniformly excellent.
https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2019/08/kurtz-sevitzky-golovanov-and-rodzinski.html
Kipepeo CDs also have a tendency to lack original BACK COVERS.

Perhaps that bolsters the case that they are releasing others' transfers.
Frank Berger
2020-10-04 23:52:14 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Bill Anderson
Post by number_six
Post by Frank Berger
[...]
Right, I overlooked the question of whether they were just
using others' transfers, which they appear to be. I think
this was discussed when we talked about Kipepeo before.
One of the things discussed was the legalities which I don't
claim to understand. If you transfer a public domain to
CD-R, do you have an automatic copyright to your work? If
so, what Kipepeo does might be illegal.

Lawrence Chalmers
2020-10-02 23:51:40 UTC
I was searching Amazon for a recording of Khachaturian's
Gayne suite by Rodzinski. Found the following and quickly
bought it. Says RCA on the label, right? Got it today and
found it to be a Kipepeo CD-R transfer. The ad does say the
label is Kipepeo, but that's the only indication that this
is not really an RCA CD. I don't even know if this was
copied from CD or transferred from LP.
https://tinyurl.com/y3d483sd
A while back I ordered the Fritz Reiner Porgy and Bess Suite and was immensely
disappointment at the quality of the transfer and at the minimal reproduction of the lp jacket. It went to my trash pile right away. The late reissue of the Pittsburg recordings has a much better sound.