Recordings of live performances of note - XXVIII
2020-09-04 16:41:26 UTC
Have not heard these yet , may not, but FYI.

Alicia de Larrocha playing "Nights in the Gardens of Spain " live with Netherlands Radio Orchestra Phil. at Concertgebouw in 1974, and Radu Lupu playing the Grieg PC with same orchestra, hall in 1975:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/2160-noches-en-los-jardines-de-espana

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/5593-legendarisch-archief-radu-lupu-speelt-grieg
Bozo
2020-09-04 16:56:11 UTC
Several live, free streaming videos coming up of Igor Levit playing all the LvB piano sonatas ( I heard the 3rd, missed the first two ), and tomorrow Nicholas Alstaedt playing the complete Bach cello suites.The Musikfest Berlin are the free ones. You need to sign up for free account.Do not think these will be archived for later viewing.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/live
Henk vT
2020-09-04 18:02:37 UTC
Still listening to Quefellec's 21 cd set. This week a cd with encores, 2 CDs with Schuber 4-hands with Imogen Cooper, and one with Schubert's impromptus Op. 90 and Moments Musicaux.

IIRC Queffelec and Cooper both studied with Brendel. They are perfect partners in Schubert, playing the Marches Militaires and Polonaises with a refined sense of humor.

Recording 17 encores by 14 composers/arrangers is a tricky endeavor. Even Queffelec excels only in some (the majority) pieces.

2020-09-06 02:36:13 UTC
Several live, free streaming videos coming up of Igor Levit playing all the LvB piano sonatas ( I heard the 3rd, missed the first two ), and tomorrow Nicholas Alstaedt playing the complete Bach cello suites.The Musikfest Berlin are the free ones. You need to sign up for free account.Do not think these will be archived for later viewing.
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/live
These past Musikfest Berlin programs do not show up in their concert
index at all (that is, Levit doesn't), so it may be necessary to catch
them live. Program 4 (including the Pathétique and Tempest) is Sept.
8 (Tuesday), 20:00 (14:00 eastern time in the US); program 5 is Sept. 10.
2020-09-08 19:59:35 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Bozo
Several live, free streaming videos coming up of Igor Levit playing all the
LvB piano sonatas ( I heard the 3rd, missed the first two ), and tomorrow
Nicholas Alstaedt playing the complete Bach cello suites.The Musikfest
Berlin are the free ones. You need to sign up for free account.Do not think
these will be archived for later viewing.
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/live
These past Musikfest Berlin programs do not show up in their concert
index at all (that is, Levit doesn't), so it may be necessary to catch
them live. Program 4 (including the Pathétique and Tempest) is Sept.
8 (Tuesday), 20:00 (14:00 eastern time in the US); program 5 is Sept. 10.
I just watched program 4, which also included sonatas #11 and #3.
I wasn't all that taken with mucb in the performances. I can't entirely
put my finger on just why, but certainly temp choice was one factor.
(For example, in the Pathétique, I thought the tempos of the last two
movements worked well, but the first movement seemed too fast for me to
really enjoy it.) Maybe LvB called for all of these, I don't know.

By the way, Levit's outfit somehow reminded me that it would be really
nice if I could get a haircut.