Two Koechlin CDs
Add Reply
Ed Presson
2021-01-08 22:04:27 UTC
1. Charles Koechlin: "Magicien orchestrateur" SWR Radio Orchestra
Stuttgart, Heinz Holliger, conductor.
Hanssler Classic 93.286
Works orchestrated by Koechlin include: Debussy: Khamma; Faure: Pelleas it
Melisande Suite;
Schubert: Wanderer Fantasy; Chabrier: Bourree Fantasque; Koechlin Sur les
Flots lointains.

2. Les Heures persanes, op. 65 (orchestral version). Same orchestra and
conductor.

Many years ago I had an LP of Les Bandar-log conducted by Boulez (I think).
I found it interesting,
but not terribly compelling. Thanks to BRO and being social isolated, I
decided to explore these two
CDs. Holliger must like his work, he has recorded at least 5 CDs of
Koechlin.

Regarding the first CD: I don't concur with the Orchestral Magician title.
Certainly competent, but
at least in Holliger's readings not equal to Debussy or Ravel, and not
strikingly better than Pierne or
Schmitt who were, I believe active around the same time, . Either that or
he's far to subtle for me.

The orchestral version of his Persian Hours was reviewed as a wonderful
soporific in The American
Record Guide, and somewhat more favorably in Fanfare. Most of the sixteen
pieces are rarely above
p or pp, so if you set the volume control to hear the detail, the few louder
moments come as a shock.

Perhaps this is a bad week, or perhaps Holliger and the SWR orchestra didn't
give the works their due.

Any other opinions on Koechlin? What am I missing?

Ed Presson
number_six
2021-01-09 20:27:06 UTC
2. Les Heures persanes, op. 65 (orchestral version). Same orchestra and
conductor.
snip <
Any other opinions on Koechlin? What am I missing?
Ed Presson
I heard the Persian Hours years ago but do not remember it well.

It was a Wergo recording, not the one on Hanssler

I liked Zinman's recording of the Jungle Book
number_six
2021-01-09 20:47:03 UTC
Post by number_six
2. Les Heures persanes, op. 65 (orchestral version). Same orchestra and
conductor.
snip <
Any other opinions on Koechlin? What am I missing?
Ed Presson
I heard the Persian Hours years ago but do not remember it well.
It was a Wergo recording, not the one on Hanssler
I liked Zinman's recording of the Jungle Book
the one on Wergo is piano version -- not orchestral