LANNGAARD...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2021-10-06 18:22:52 UTC
It would be wrong to neglect *Kurt ATTERBERG*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at Danacord...

The other great Danish symphonist, overshadowed by Nielsen, who
shattered his career hopes...
Even if he was very badly received in France, by a number of aspecte,
his symphonies are more modern, more diverse than those of Nielsen (the
two composers have nothing to do)...
Start with the 1st symphony, quite Mahlerian...
Dausgaard, Segerstam and Järvi have also recorded some of his
symphonies, in an exemplary way...
Let us specify that this great composer (reclusive mystic, bitter
creator taking refuge in his art) also composed, among others, very
beautiful string quartets (Kontra/DaCapo)...
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-10-06 22:55:39 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
It would be wrong to neglect *Kurt ATTERBERG*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at Danacord...
The other great Danish symphonist, overshadowed by Nielsen, who
shattered his career hopes...
Even if he was very badly received in France, by a number of aspecte,
his symphonies are more modern, more diverse than those of Nielsen (the
two composers have nothing to do)...
Start with the 1st symphony, quite Mahlerian...
Dausgaard, Segerstam and Järvi have also recorded some of his
symphonies, in an exemplary way...
Let us specify that this great composer (reclusive mystic, bitter
creator taking refuge in his art) also composed, among others, very
beautiful string quartets (Kontra/DaCapo)...
Atterberg's nine symphonies have been recorded on CPO by Rasilainen. Also, he was Swedish. I've got the set but wasn't impressed overmuch, and his music seemed very conservative to my ears. Maybe I will try a few different CDs from the set.

I remember Hilding Rosenberg as being one of the greatest Swedish composers. His symphony No.3 was on a Vox Turnabout LP, and I believe BIS has latterly recorded Rosenberg's no.3 and no.6. Rosenberg's music seemed light years ahead of Atterberg. At least to my taste.

Ray Hall, Taree
Richard S. Sandmeyer
2021-10-07 14:27:05 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by MELMOTH
It would be wrong to neglect *Kurt ATTERBERG*...
His symphonies are original and exciting...
All at Danacord...
The other great Danish symphonist, overshadowed by Nielsen, who
shattered his career hopes...
Even if he was very badly received in France, by a number of aspecte,
his symphonies are more modern, more diverse than those of Nielsen (the
two composers have nothing to do)...
Start with the 1st symphony, quite Mahlerian...
Dausgaard, Segerstam and JÀrvi have also recorded some of his
symphonies, in an exemplary way...
Let us specify that this great composer (reclusive mystic, bitter
creator taking refuge in his art) also composed, among others, very
beautiful string quartets (Kontra/DaCapo)...
Atterberg's nine symphonies have been recorded on CPO by Rasilainen. Also, he
was Swedish. I've got the set but wasn't impressed overmuch, and his music
seemed very conservative to my ears. Maybe I will try a few different CDs
from the set.
I remember Hilding Rosenberg as being one of the greatest Swedish composers.
His symphony No.3 was on a Vox Turnabout LP, and I believe BIS has latterly
recorded Rosenberg's no.3 and no.6. Rosenberg's music seemed light years
ahead of Atterberg. At least to my taste.
Ray Hall, Taree
I also thought MELMOTH was writing about Atterberg's symphonies until he
wrote "Danish" and described them as "more modern" than Nielsen. Then I
looked at the original subject of the posting and realized he had
switched to a discussion of Lanngaard without mentioning him by name.
--
Rich Sandmeyer
rich dot sand at verizon dot net