Opus 18...
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 22:31:39 UTC
(supersedes <5ff6387a$0$24265$***@news.free.fr>)

These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor by Beethoven...I
wanted to choose the three "best" interpretations...It was actually
quite quite difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than
the other !....

Finally, my three favorites are :
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...

But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
dk
2021-01-06 22:38:02 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor by Beethoven...I
wanted to choose the three "best" interpretations...It was actually
quite quite difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than
the other !....
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...
But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
Keep the Juilliard, throw away all the others -- especially Berg,
the Fine Farts and the Italians. Budapest too rough and square,
Amadeus too light, etc....

To my ears, Juilliard II is the only SQ that does justice to
LvB, even when justice means taking him to the échafaud.

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 23:05:08 UTC
To my ears, Juilliard II is the only SQ that does justice to
LvB, even when justice means taking him to the échafaud.
For me, it's the Budapest !...
Budapest, Juilliard and Amdeus are my three favorite string quartet
ensembles...
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-07 00:38:28 UTC
To my ears, Juilliard II is the only SQ that does justice to
LvB, even when justice means taking him to the échafaud.
You're getting LvB mixed up with Miles Davis:

Rene Urtreger on piano, Pierre Michelot on bass

and Kenny Clarke on drums.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
dk
2021-01-07 00:43:15 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by dk
To my ears, Juilliard II is the only SQ that does justice to
LvB, even when justice means taking him to the échafaud.
http://youtu.be/P6vhflKHHRw
Rene Urtreger on piano, Pierre Michelot on bass
http://youtu.be/v0DVLxPwCkk
and Kenny Clarke on drums.
Nope. Beethoven cannot be mixed with anything else.
His "music" is pure poison.

dk
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-12 11:54:06 UTC
Nope. Beethoven cannot be mixed with anything else.
His "music" is pure poison.
"Some of his contredanses weren't bad."
- Breakfast show announcer, Radio WOOF, Northern South Dakota. The station that gave you "Stump The Virtuosi".

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
Some wag at my college paper observed [long ago] that "Bach wrote well for the keyboard."
Bob Harper
2021-01-12 20:46:05 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by dk
Nope. Beethoven cannot be mixed with anything else.
His "music" is pure poison.
"Some of his contredanses weren't bad."
- Breakfast show announcer, Radio WOOF, Northern South Dakota. The station that gave you "Stump The Virtuosi".
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Some wag at my college paper observed [long ago] that "Bach wrote well for the keyboard."
I suspect that this was Peter Schickele in his PDQ Bach persona:

https://www.schickele.com/profbio.htm

If you have not seen the video of the first movement of the Beethoven
Fifth with sports commentators, you should. I guarantee uproarious laughter:

Bob Harper
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-12 21:32:57 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by dk
Nope. Beethoven cannot be mixed with anything else.
His "music" is pure poison.
"Some of his contredanses weren't bad."
- Breakfast show announcer, Radio WOOF, Northern South Dakota. The station that gave you "Stump The Virtuosi".
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Some wag at my college paper observed [long ago] that "Bach wrote well for the keyboard."
https://www.schickele.com/profbio.htm
If you have not seen the video of the first movement of the Beethoven
http://youtu.be/MzXoVo16pTg
Bob Harper
I'm rather partial to the "Liebeslieder Polkas" myself, especially after "A Prairie Home Companion" revealed unto me the significance of the polka in American provincial culture. It seems to be part of some kind of Lutheran fertility rite.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Bob Harper
2021-01-12 22:54:04 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Bob Harper
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by dk
[...]
My Lutheran wife laughed loudly and deeply on reading your comment :).

2021-01-13 04:07:45 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by dk
Nope. Beethoven cannot be mixed with anything else.
His "music" is pure poison.
"Some of his contredanses weren't bad."
- Breakfast show announcer, Radio WOOF, Northern South Dakota. The station that gave you "Stump The Virtuosi".
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Some wag at my college paper observed [long ago] that "Bach wrote well for the keyboard."
https://www.schickele.com/profbio.htm
If you have not seen the video of the first movement of the Beethoven
http://youtu.be/MzXoVo16pTg
Bob Harper
Heard this on LP long ago but had not seen video version -- thanks.

"It's tutti all the way, folks!"

dk
2021-01-06 22:46:10 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor by Beethoven...I
Schumann's and Rachmaninov's opp. 18 are far better music.

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-07 00:14:25 UTC
Schumann's and Rachmaninov's opp. 18 are far better music.
Sometimes I wonder if you're a hidden son of your ex-president, who has
benn again up to his tricks... This guy is a real psychopath...
dk
2021-01-07 00:18:37 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
Schumann's and Rachmaninov's opp. 18 are far better music.
Sometimes I wonder if you're a hidden son of your ex-president,
Wonder as much as you like. I am waaay too old for that! ;-)
Post by MELMOTH
who has been again up to his tricks...This guy is a real psychopath...
Certainly. He must have listened to much too much Beethoven,
Wagner, Orff and Pfitzner!

dk
Alex Brown
2021-01-12 08:19:50 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor by Beethoven...I wanted
to choose the three "best" interpretations...It was actually quite quite
difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than the other !....
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...
But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
Those are all nice, but:

* Quatuor Turner *

too.
- Alex Brown
dk
2021-01-12 19:16:28 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by MELMOTH
These last few days, I listened to the fifty or so recordings of my
collection of the quartet opus 18 n°4 in C minor by Beethoven...I wanted
to choose the three "best" interpretations...It was actually quite quite
difficult...Too many versions, each one more sublime than the other !....
- *Budapest II* (Live 1980)...
- *Juilliard II* (Live 1960 Sony)...
- *Amadeus I* (1952 Audite)...
But obviously, there are also the Vegh I and II...The Italiano...The
Berg I & II...The Fine Art Quartet (original formation)...The
Vlach...The Smithson...The Talich...Etc...
* Quatuor Turner *
Same Turners who could not paint one straight color? ;-)

I heard the Juilliard live during the 1960s. All the others
should be sent to reeducation camps. Especially the
Fine Farts, Amadeus, Berg and Budapest. I could
never figure out what people like(d) in the Berg.
They are as cold and mechanical as metal rulers.