The Juilliard String Quartet
fomalhaut
2020-10-10 10:55:17 UTC
Does a Discography of the Juilliard String Quartet under Robert Mann exist ?
I would be deeply interested in such a document.

fomalhaut
Steven Reveyoso
2020-10-10 19:18:34 UTC
Post by fomalhaut
Does a Discography of the Juilliard String Quartet under Robert Mann exist ?
I would be deeply interested in such a document.
fomalhaut
Andante (now defunct) published a discography of the Quartet some years ago. It runs from 1949 to 1998. It's one flaw is that the 1976 issue of the last four Mozart String Quartets, recorded in 1974, are not listed. I made a PDF of that discography, which I'll upload later this afternoon.

Steve
Steven Reveyoso
2020-10-10 21:41:36 UTC
Post by Steven Reveyoso
Post by fomalhaut
Does a Discography of the Juilliard String Quartet under Robert Mann exist ?
I would be deeply interested in such a document.
fomalhaut
Andante (now defunct) published a discography of the Quartet some years ago. It runs from 1949 to 1998. It's one flaw is that the 1976 issue of the last four Mozart String Quartets, recorded in 1974, are not listed. I made a PDF of that discography, which I'll upload later this afternoon.
Steve
Here it is, as promised. This is Andante's Juilliard Quartet Discography.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6wmccf64pl00ubn/JUILLIARD_QUARTET_DISCOGRAPHY_%2528ANDANTE%2529.pdf/file

Enjoy!

Steve
John Hood

JH
fomalhaut
2020-10-11 08:22:54 UTC
Post by Steven Reveyoso
Post by Steven Reveyoso
Post by fomalhaut
Does a Discography of the Juilliard String Quartet under Robert Mann exist ?
I would be deeply interested in such a document.
fomalhaut
Andante (now defunct) published a discography of the Quartet some years ago. It runs from 1949 to 1998. It's one flaw is that the 1976 issue of the last four Mozart String Quartets, recorded in 1974, are not listed. I made a PDF of that discography, which I'll upload later this afternoon.
Steve
Here it is, as promised. This is Andante's Juilliard Quartet Discography.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6wmccf64pl00ubn/JUILLIARD_QUARTET_DISCOGRAPHY_%2528ANDANTE%2529.pdf/file
Enjoy!
Steve
Thank you, Steve.
To tell the truth, I was a subscriber to Andante but I completely missed the Juilliard Disco !

fomalhaut
Herman
2020-10-12 17:38:03 UTC
I used to love the Julliard's CBS Mozart quartets from the early sixties, but when I got them on cd a couple of years ago the mannerisms kind of bugged me. The Beethoven has weathered the decades better IMO.
Lawrence Kart
2020-10-13 00:47:06 UTC
Their earlier Epic label set of Mozart Quartets, with the classic Juilliard lineup, was much better.
Bob Harper
2020-10-13 16:31:56 UTC
Post by Herman
I used to love the Julliard's CBS Mozart quartets from the early sixties, but when I got them on cd a couple of years ago the mannerisms kind of bugged me. The Beethoven has weathered the decades better IMO.
I think you're both referring to the same recordings. I agree with you.
I don't find the Juilliard mannered in these performances; rather, I
think them outstanding in just about every respect. One could wish they
had the kind of sound Phillips gave the QI, but that wasn't
Columbia/Epic's style.

The Beethoven set, of course, is outstanding, one of the greatest ever.

2020-10-13 18:47:01 UTC
They are indeed the same recordings, from May 1962 (only the two contemporary American works in the Epic box were recorded before 1960). What I find mannered was the rather excessive tapering down of phrases at the end, over and over, every phrase as it were bracketed by hairpins left and right. I'm not saying that's wrong, it just kind of bugged me. However, it may well be at some other point in time I will love it.
Bob Harper
2020-10-13 19:15:02 UTC
They are indeed the same recordings, from May 1962 (only the two contemporary American works in the Epic box were recorded before 1960). What I find mannered was the rather excessive tapering down of phrases at the end, over and over, every phrase as it were bracketed by hairpins left and right. I'm not saying that's wrong, it just kind of bugged me. However, it may well be at some other point in time I will love it.
Fair enough. I'll take another listen to see whether my reaction is
different than it's been in the past. To whose performances do you go
for these quartets?

2020-10-14 07:19:33 UTC
A whole bunch, but perhaps my current go to recordings are Petersen and Amadeus (either the official or the original masters), and like everybody else I like to check youtube for recent live performances.

Here the Jerusalem Quartet in the D minor.

Al Eisner
2020-10-14 21:19:48 UTC
They are indeed the same recordings, from May 1962 (only the two
contemporary American works in the Epic box were recorded before 1960).
What I find mannered was the rather excessive tapering down of phrases at
the end, over and over, every phrase as it were bracketed by hairpins left
and right. I'm not saying that's wrong, it just kind of bugged me. However,
it may well be at some other point in time I will love it.
Fair enough. I'll take another listen to see whether my reaction is different
than it's been in the past. To whose performances do you go for these
quartets?
Bob Harper
I'm not quite sure which Mozart quartets this thread refers to, but, if
you are willing to do mono, the Budapest's early-50's recordings of
the "Haydn" set are quite wonderful. They are coupled on Sony with
their 40's string quintets (mostly with Katims), which Alan Cooper
avocated for strongly here and which have since become my favorite
set of the quintets.
2020-10-15 00:25:18 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
Yes, it is the "Haydn" Quartets. I have that Budapest set, and will have
to haul it out for comparison, along with the Petersens and the Hagens.

2020-10-15 01:12:09 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
I'll be interested to hear the results. I recently purchased the Hagen
set (my first recordings of most of the early quartets); hopefully
I'll have time to listen before long.