Martinon on Youtube
2020-11-07 06:10:29 UTC
Any recommendations?
dk
2020-11-07 08:33:04 UTC
Any recommendations?
Any French music.

dk
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-11-07 21:36:34 UTC
Any recommendations?
Any French music.
dk
Martinon did some great Prokofiev, along with most of the French repertoire.

2020-11-08 04:23:26 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Any recommendations?
Any French music.
Martinon did some great Prokofiev,
along with most of the French
repertoire.
True.
However the competition is
much stronger in Prokofiev.

dk
Kerrison
2020-11-08 21:56:12 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by dk
Any French music.
Martinon did some great Prokofiev,
along with most of the French
repertoire.
True.
However the competition is
much stronger in Prokofiev.
dk
Martinon was one of those many conductors who also composed symphonies, concertos, operas and so on, yet like them, nothing of his own music has entered the general repertoire and is never likely to. This 'Overture for a Greek Tragedy' from 1949 is a typical example ...

Mr. Mike
2020-11-09 05:27:15 UTC
Martinon conducts Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto with Weissenberg:

g***@gmail.com
2020-11-10 04:49:31 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by dk
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by dk
Any French music.
Martinon did some great Prokofiev,
along with most of the French
repertoire.
True.
However the competition is
much stronger in Prokofiev.
dk
Martinon was one of those many conductors who also composed symphonies, concertos, operas and so on, yet like them, nothing of his own music has entered the general repertoire and is never likely to. This 'Overture for a Greek Tragedy' from 1949 is a typical example ...
http://youtu.be/jMntArZXI7A
Wikipedia lists his compositions but no discography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Martinon

g***@gmail.com
2020-11-10 04:31:39 UTC
Any recommendations?
Any French music.
dk
Concerning his Debussy's "Nuages", I think I prefer Monteux's BSO recording which is about 30 seconds shorter. P.M.'s recording has a fleetness which I feel is part of the French musical aesthetic.