Audio compression of the volume level kind ...
John Hood
2020-06-26 11:45:55 UTC
To be specific I am looking for a program that does true audio volume
compression. For example, in a piece that oscillates wildly in volume
(I'm thinking Mahler) I would like to be able to set parameters that:

1. Restrict the loudest section to possibly -6 dB

2. Boost anything below XdB, say -20 to be increased to -10 dB.

These numbers are just examples. I would be looking to be able to change
the appropriate parameters.

I have Googled myself silly and haven't even got close. I get so many
hits on audio compression that talk about either - Flac and MP3 files OR
- Zip and Rar files.

Be assured that these have no relevance to this (possibly obscure)
topic. I am a retired programmer but I'm not really into the realm of
processing audio files ...

JH
Alan Dawes
2020-06-26 12:17:43 UTC
Post by John Hood
To be specific I am looking for a program that does true audio volume
compression. For example, in a piece that oscillates wildly in volume
1. Restrict the loudest section to possibly -6 dB
2. Boost anything below XdB, say -20 to be increased to -10 dB.
These numbers are just examples. I would be looking to be able to change
the appropriate parameters.
I have Googled myself silly and haven't even got close. I get so many
hits on audio compression that talk about either - Flac and MP3 files OR
- Zip and Rar files.
Be assured that these have no relevance to this (possibly obscure)
topic. I am a retired programmer but I'm not really into the realm of
processing audio files ...
JH
It's a long time since I last used it, but I'm pretty sure that Audacity
allows compression of dynamic range. Googling came up with:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/compressor.html

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Frank Berger
2020-06-26 15:20:20 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by John Hood
[...]
With all those controls and no guidance (that I am are of)
how would you ever figure out the optimal settings?
Alan Dawes
2020-06-26 16:56:13 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by John Hood
[...]
The Audacity team provide a vast amount of info online, start with the
online manual:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/index.html

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorials.html

and if you can't work it out ask in the audacity forums:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/index.php

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
John Hood
2020-06-26 22:57:19 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by John Hood
[...]
I will define default optimum settings to my personal taste. I'm not
really interested in the aesthetics, which will probably raise a few
eyebrows, probably from people who look down on listening to music on a
phone or have problems with MP3 and cheap audio equipment. But these
issues have been debated on this forum for years.

The products mentioned appear to only offer compression or limiting,
without boost functionality.

I've decided to write my own - it's been a while since I've done any
coding and I could use a little intellectual stimulation. Anyone here
familiar with the programming language Lazarus aka Free Pascal?

JH
Frank Berger
2020-06-26 23:13:03 UTC
Post by John Hood
Post by Frank Berger
In article
Post by John Hood
[...]
I thought compression was what you wanted. As I've
mentioned before, back in the day several models of portable
CD payers came with a compression (I don't mean limiting)
option. Also some car stereos had head units that it built
in. My 1987 Dodge Caravan had it. Very useful on the highway.
Gerard
2020-06-27 09:34:28 UTC
"John Hood" wrote in message news:jtqdnTVoVNzN4GvDnZ2dnUU7-***@westnet.com.au...

I've decided to write my own - it's been a while since I've done any
coding and I could use a little intellectual stimulation. Anyone here
familiar with the programming language Lazarus aka Free Pascal?
---------------------------------

I have used it (Lazarus) only once for adaptation of a program that was made
with Delphi (which I have used a lot). Actually Lazarus is a free Delphi.
msw design
2020-06-26 12:37:30 UTC
Dynamics Processing effect

https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/amplitude-compression-effects.html

I think you can demo the program for a few weeks free, so maybe you can get done all your work in that time. Alan is right that Audacity (not Audition, not Adobe) has some good tools for a free program. I could check that as well.
MiNe109
2020-06-26 15:00:44 UTC
Post by John Hood
To be specific I am looking for a program that does true audio volume
compression. For example, in a piece that oscillates wildly in volume
1. Restrict the loudest section to possibly -6 dB
2. Boost anything below XdB, say -20 to be increased to -10 dB.
These numbers are just examples. I would be looking to be able to change
the appropriate parameters.
I have Googled myself silly and haven't even got close. I get so many
hits on audio compression that talk about either - Flac and MP3 files OR
- Zip and Rar files.
Be assured that these have no relevance to this (possibly obscure)
topic. I am a retired programmer but I'm not really into the realm of
processing audio files ...
Maybe this?

http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/wavepad/win/compressor.html