Igor Stravinsky- The Complete Columbia Album Collection (56 CDs + 1 DVD)
Mark Obert-Thorn
2015-10-17 01:10:29 UTC
I got my copy on Tuesday (just four days in transatlantic mail from MDT in London - it might have been three, save for the Columbus Day holiday) and I've started sampling through the set. It contains all of Stravinsky's recordings for American Columbia and RCA Victor. The layout is like other recent big Sony boxes (e.g. the Reiner/Chicago set): original album covers which have spines thick enough to feature titles, and a hardcover book with all the discographic details for each recording (matrix numbers, recording dates and venues, original 78 rpm and LP issue numbers, release dates, etc.). For those that care about such things, the CDs in two-disc mini-albums are removed from the top. (Oddly, though, the back of the jacket with RCA LM-1096 just shows a vintage list of other early RCA LPs, while my copy of the original issue has liner notes.)

The transfers seem to be a mix of the new (mainly mono material which had never been on CD before) and old (the stereo recordings that were in the 22-CD set a few years ago). What I've heard so far sounds fine. I was particularly struck by the sound of the 1940s recordings which have been transferred from the original Columbia lacquers.

There are a few additions which seem to be odd choices for a set supposedly devoted to Stravinsky's recorded legacy as a conductor. I can see the rationale for including recordings conducted by Robert Craft, but there are several volumes in the set that Stravinsky seems to have had nothing to do with, other than as a composer of some of the featured works(a two-piano recital including works by Rimsky-Korsakov and Arensky by Vronsky and Babin; a Charles Rosen disc half devoted to Schoenberg; a Gold and Fizdale all-Stravinsky two-piano disc; and a 1976 Tashi LP of Stravinsky chamber works). Perhaps the idea was to expand the set to include every piece of Stravinsky repertoire recorded by Columbia and RCA, whether it was recorded or supervised by the composer or not, but I don't see any explanation given.

Inevitably, there is much repertoire duplication (including three and a half different recordings of "Les Noces", only one of which is conducted by the composer, and two versions each of both the Divertimento from "The Fairy's Kiss" and the complete ballet), but it's great to have all of this available in one place at last.

Mark O-T
Marc P.
2015-10-17 15:39:51 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
This seems like an odd choice by Sony for the premium box treatment, since most of these recordings have been in the catalog for years, and the stereo ones in the recent super bargain 22-CD set (I paid less than $30 for mine). I also have the Lys set of the 1940s recordings and the Sony 2 CD set of the 1950s recordings. Am I missing much? (Other than certain recordings by other conductors of course!)

Marc
Al Eisner
2015-10-19 23:09:27 UTC
Post by Marc P.
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
I'm curious what fraction of the contents are in that (all stereo?) 22-CD
set. Given the original-album format of the new set, I'd guess about
half. (Apart from missing certain works not in the 22-CD set, as well
as the documentation, I would probably find the new set overkill.)
Thanks.
Terry
I know I would. Incidentally, CD #13 of the 22-CD set contains some chamber music performances from the 1930s and 1940s. In the Duo Concertante Stravinsky is joined by Josef Szigeti; in the Concerto for 2 Solo pianos he is joined by Soulima Stravinsky; there are a few tracks of solo piano by Stravinsky alone, recorded in Paris in the 1930s. Everything else in the set is stereo.
Edward A. Cowan
I hope the new set includes IG's recording of _The Rake's Progress_ recorded with Metropolitan Opera forces ca. 1952. --E.A.C.
Paul
2015-10-19 15:17:03 UTC
Post by Edward A. Cowan
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
Discs 1 to 10 comprise recordings from 1940 to 1950, many on labels like Andante or Dante / Lys, but now on official Sony CDs in much better sound.

"The Rake's Progress" (first version is discs 12 & 13.

Paul
Oscar
2015-10-19 15:52:13 UTC
Will be interesting to compare the new transfers & remastering of the American Columbia recordings from the 1940's with the sets on Andante from about 10-11 years ago, now OOP.
Randy Lane
2015-10-19 15:55:35 UTC
Interesting to see what it includes for L'Histoire du Soldat other than the Suite recording.
JohnA
2015-10-19 16:30:08 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Interesting to see what it includes for L'Histoire du Soldat other than the Suite recording.
According to the listing on the UK Amazon site:

DISC 16:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite

DISC 24:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite

{I believe that the two listings above are the same performance]

DISC 55:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat for Violin, Clarinet and Piano

DISC 56:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat (Jeremy Irons, narrator)
Gerard
2015-10-20 09:10:00 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Interesting to see what it includes for L'Histoire du Soldat other than
the Suite recording.
According to the listing on the UK Amazon site:

=====================

Complete listing:

DISC 1:
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
Narration: A propos of Le Sacre - Commentary by Igor Stravinsky

DISC 2:
Stravinsky: Petroushka - Ballet Suite
Stravinsky: Scènes de ballet
Stravinsky: Le Baiser de la fée: Divertimento

DISC 3:
Stravinsky: The Firebird

DISC 4:
Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements

DISC 5:
Stravinsky: Concerto for 2 Solo Pianos
Stravinsky: Scherzo à la russe
Rimsky-Korssakov-Babin: Dance of the Tumblers
Babin: Russian Village
Arensky: Suite No. 1 for Two Pianos, Op. 15: Waltz
Rimsky-Korssakov-Babin: Sadko: Cradle Song
Stravinsky-Babin: Circus Polka
Stravinsky: Tango

DISC 6:
Stravinsky: Orpheus
Stravinsky: Mass

DISC 7:
Stravinsky: Duo concertant for Violin and Piano
Bloch: Baal Shem
Stravinsky: Pastorale, Song without Words for Violin & Woodwind Quartet

DISC 8:
Stravinsky: Divertimento from Le Baiser de la fée
Stravinsky: Danses concertantes for Chamber Orchestra
Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Scherzo à la russe
Stravinsky: Pater Noster (Revised 1949 Version)
Stravinsky: Ave Maria (Revised 1949 Version)

DISC 9:
Stravinsky: Apollon musagète
Stravinsky: Concerto in D "Basle Concerto"

DISC 10:
Stravinsky: Fireworks, Op. 4
Stravinsky: Ode
Stravinsky: Russian Maiden's Song
Stravinsky: Ebony Concerto
Stravinsky: 4 Norwegian Moods
Stravinsky: Circus Polka

DISC 11:
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex

DISC 12-13:
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress

DISC 14:
Stravinsky: Pulcinella

DISC 15:
Stravinsky: Symphony in C
Stravinsky: Cantata

DISC 16:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite
Stravinsky: Octet for Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Symphonies of Wind Instruments (Revised 1947 Version)

DISC 17:
Stravinsky: In memoriam Dylan Thomas
Stravinsky: 3 Songs from William Shakespeare
Stravinsky: Septet
Stravinsky: Four Russian Songs for Voice, Flute, Harp and Guitar
Stravinsky: 2 Poems of Constantin Balmont
Stravinsky: 3 Japanese Lyrics
Stravinsky: 3 Little Songs “Recollections of my Childhood”
Stravinsky: Four Russian Peasant Songs for Female Choir “Saucers”

DISC 18:
Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss

DISC 19:
Stravinsky: Perséphone

DISC 20:
Stravinsky: Agon
Stravinsky: Canticum sacrum

DISC 21:
Stravinsky: Threni

DISC 22:
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
Stravinsky: Petrushka (Revised 1947 Version)

DISC 23:
Stravinsky: Serenade for Piano in A Major
Stravinsky: Piano Sonata
Schoenberg: Piano Piece, Op. 33a
Schoenberg: Piano Piece, Op. 33b
Schoenberg: Suite for Piano, Op. 25

DISC 24:
Stravinsky: Movements for Piano and Orchestra
Stravinsky: Double Canon “Raoul Dufy in Memoriam”
Stravinsky: Epitaphium
Stravinsky: Octet for Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Histoire du Soldat - Suite

DISC 25:
Gesualdo: Madrigals
Stravinsky: Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa
Stravinsky: Illumina nos

DISC 26:
Stravinsky: Le Rossignol

DISC 27:
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Original 1910 Version)

DISC 28:
Stravinsky: Concerto in D Major for Violin and Orchestra
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements

DISC 29:
Stravinsky: Concerto for 2 Solo Pianos
Stravinsky: 3 Easy Pieces
Stravinsky: 5 Easy Pieces
Stravinsky: Sonata for 2 Pianos

DISC 30:
Stravinsky: The Flood
Stravinsky: Mass

DISC 31:
Stravinsky: Les Noces (The Wedding)
Stravinsky: Renard
Stravinsky: Rag-Time for 11 Instruments

DISC 32:
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex

DISC 33:
Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms (Revised 1948 version)
Stravinsky: Symphony in C

DISC 34:
Stravinsky: Orpheus
Stravinsky: Apollon musagète

DISC 35:
Stravinsky: Greeting Prelude
Stravinsky: Concerto in E-Flat for Chamber Orchestra "Dumbarton Oaks"
Stravinsky: 8 Instrumental Miniatures
Stravinsky: 4 Studies for Orchestra
Stravinsky: Circus Polka
Stravinsky: Suite No. 1 for Small Orchestra
Stravinsky: Suite No. 2 for Small Orchestra

DISC 36:
Stravinsky: Jeu de Cartes
Tchaikovsky: Bluebird - Pas de Deux
Stravinsky: Scènes de ballet

DISC 37:
Stravinsky: Zvezdoliki: The King of Stars
Stravinsky: Anthem "The dove descending breaks the air"
Stravinsky: Choral-Variations "Vom Himmel hoch da komm' ich her"
Stravinsky: Babel
Stravinsky: A Sermon, a Narrative and a Prayer

DISC 38-39:
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress

DISC 40:
Stravinsky: Le Baiser de le fée

DISC 41:
Bernstein: Prelude, Fugue and Riffs for Solo Clarinet and Jazz Ensemble
Copland: Concerto For Clarinet, Strings, Harp And Piano
Stravinsky: Ebony Concerto
Gould: Derivations for Clarinet and Band

DISC 42:
Stravinsky: Pulcinella

DISC 43:
Stravinsky: Perséphone

DISC 44:
Stravinsky: Symphony in E-Flat Major, Op.1

DISC 45:
Stravinsky: Mavra
Stravinsky: Les Noces (The Wedding)

DISC 46:
Stravinsky: Cantata on Old English Texts
Stravinsky: Mass
Stravinsky: In memoriam Dylan Thomas
Stravinsky: Fanfare for a New Theatre
Stravinsky: The Owl and the Pussy-Cat
Stravinsky: Septet
Stravinsky: Elegy for J.F.K.

DISC 47:
Stravinsky: The Firebird - Suite (Revised 1945 Version)
Stravinsky: Petrushka - Ballet Suite

DISC 48:
Stravinsky: Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra (Revised 1949 Version)
Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments (Revised 1950 Version)

DISC 49:
Stravinsky: Pulcinella - Suite
Stravinsky: Scherzo fantastique, op. 3
Stravinsky: Fireworks, op. 4
Stravinsky: Scherzo à la russe

DISC 50:
Stravinsky: Variations: "Aldous Huxley in memoriam"
Stravinsky: Abraham and Isaac
Stravinsky: Introitus: "T. S. Elliot in memoriam"
Stravinsky: Requiem Canticles

DISC 51:
Stravinsky: Faun and Shepherdess, Op. 2
Stravinsky: 2 Poems of Paul Verlaine, Op. 9
Stravinsky: 2 Poems of Konstantin Balmont
Stravinsky: 3 Japanese Lyrics
Stravinsky: 3 Little Songs “Recollections of my Childhood”
Stravinsky: Pribaoutki (Nonsense Songs)
Stravinsky: Tilim-Bom
Stravinsky: Cat's Cradle Song
Stravinsky: 4 Russian Songs for Voice, Flute, Harp and Guitar
Stravinsky: 3 Songs from William Shakespeare

DISC 52:
Stravinsky: Danses concertantes (for chamber orchestra)
Stravinsky: 4 Norwegian Moods
Stravinsky: Ode for Orchestra
Stravinsky: Concerto in D "Basle Concerto"

DISC 53:
Stravinsky: Praeludium for Jazz Band
Stravinsky: Pastorale, Song without words (Transcription, 1933)
Stravinsky: Tango (New Orchestration, 1953)
Stravinsky: Concertino for 12 Instruments
Key-Smith-Stravinsky: The Star-Spangled Banner
Stravinsky: 4 Russian Peasant Songs “Saucers” (Revised 1954 version)
Stravinsky: Ave Maria (Revised 1949 version)
Stravinsky: Credo (Revised 1964 version)
Stravinsky: Pater Noster (Revised 1949 Version)
Stravinsky: Pastorale (for soprano voice and piano, 1907)
Stravinsky: Portrait of Stravinsky: Stravinsky in Rehearsal
Stravinsky: Symphony in C: Rehearsal Fragment

DISC 54:
Stravinsky: Symphonies of Wind Instruments (Revised 1947 version)
Stravinsky: Les Noces (The Wedding) (1917)
Stravinsky: Les Noces (The Wedding) (1919) for pianola, 2 cimbaloms,
harmonium and percussion
Stravinsky: Chant du Rossignol

DISC 55:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat for Violin, Clarinet and Piano
Stravinsky: Septet for Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Piano, Violin, Viola & Cello
Stravinsky: Pastorale for Violin and Piano
Stravinsky: 3 Pieces for Clarinet Solo
Stravinsky: Suite italienne for Cello and Piano

DISC 56:
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat (Jeremy Irons, narrator)

DVD:
Stravinsky in Hollywood – A Film by Marco Capalbo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TH53056
Mark Obert-Thorn
2015-10-20 13:45:00 UTC
Thanks for posting the complete listing. It might help for me to give some further explanation, since I have the set.

The first 18 CDs are in mono, and the rest are in stereo. There are no EMI recordings from the '30s in this set, just American Columbia and RCA originals. Many of the mono recordings have never previously been available in an "official" CD reissue from Sony. (Offhand, I can only think of the 1940 Sacre, the 1945 Firebird Suite, the "Meet the Composer" album of short pieces [CD 10], and the two-disc set of Cleveland Orchestra recordings from the '50s on Masterworks Heritage.) See the list below for further comments:

DISC 1:
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring (1940 NYP recording)
Narration: A propos of Le Sacre - Commentary by Igor Stravinsky (from the 1960 set)

DISC 2:
Stravinsky: Petroushka - Ballet Suite (1940 NYP)
Stravinsky: Scènes de ballet (1945 NYP)
Stravinsky: Le Baiser de la fée: Divertimento (1940-41 Mexico SO recording for RCA, never on LP, whose only previous reissue was on a Parnassus CD I transferred back in 2000)

DISC 3:
Stravinsky: The Firebird (1946 NYP. This is not the complete ballet, but the 24-minute extended 1945 version of the Suite)

DISC 4:
Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms (1946 CBS SO & Chorus)
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements (1946 NYP)

DISC 5: (This is a Vronsky & Babin LP of two-piano music which does not feature Stravinsky as a performer. The Scherzo a la russe is a first release.)
Stravinsky: Concerto for 2 Solo Pianos
Stravinsky: Scherzo à la russe
Rimsky-Korssakov-Babin: Dance of the Tumblers
Babin: Russian Village
Arensky: Suite No. 1 for Two Pianos, Op. 15: Waltz
Rimsky-Korssakov-Babin: Sadko: Cradle Song
Stravinsky-Babin: Circus Polka
Stravinsky: Tango

DISC 6: (1949 RCA recordings)
Stravinsky: Orpheus
Stravinsky: Mass

DISC 7: (These are 1945-46 Szigeti recordings. Stravinsky does not participate in the Bloch.)
Stravinsky: Duo concertant for Violin and Piano
Bloch: Baal Shem
Stravinsky: Pastorale, Song without Words for Violin & Woodwind Quartet

DISC 8: (These are 1947-50 RCA Victor SO recordings. Soulima Stravinsky plays in the Concerto.)
Stravinsky: Divertimento from Le Baiser de la fée
Stravinsky: Danses concertantes for Chamber Orchestra
Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Scherzo à la russe
Stravinsky: Pater Noster (Revised 1949 Version)
Stravinsky: Ave Maria (Revised 1949 Version)

DISC 9: (1950 RCA Victor SO recordings)
Stravinsky: Apollon musagète
Stravinsky: Concerto in D "Basle Concerto"

DISC 10: (1945-46 Columbia "singles" and filler sides. The Ebony Concerto features the Woody Herman Orchestra conducted by Stravinsky.)
Stravinsky: Fireworks, Op. 4
Stravinsky: Ode
Stravinsky: Russian Maiden's Song
Stravinsky: Ebony Concerto
Stravinsky: 4 Norwegian Moods
Stravinsky: Circus Polka

DISC 11: (1951-52 Columbia LP recording)
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex

DISC 12-13: (1953 Met recording)
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress

DISC 14: (1952 Cleveland Orchestra recording)
Stravinsky: Pulcinella

DISC 15: (1952 Cleveland and NYP members)
Stravinsky: Symphony in C
Stravinsky: Cantata

DISC 16: (1951 & 1954 recordings with small ensembles)
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite
Stravinsky: Octet for Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Symphonies of Wind Instruments (Revised 1947 Version)

DISC 17: (1954-55 recordings with small ensembles and singers including Marilyn Horne and Marni Nixon)
Stravinsky: In memoriam Dylan Thomas
Stravinsky: 3 Songs from William Shakespeare
Stravinsky: Septet
Stravinsky: Four Russian Songs for Voice, Flute, Harp and Guitar
Stravinsky: 2 Poems of Constantin Balmont
Stravinsky: 3 Japanese Lyrics
Stravinsky: 3 Little Songs "Recollections of my Childhood"
Stravinsky: Four Russian Peasant Songs for Female Choir "Saucers"

DISC 18: (1955 recording of the complete ballet with the Cleveland Orchestra)
Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss

DISC 19: (First stereo release of the 1957 NYP recording)
Stravinsky: Perséphone

DISC 20: (From here on, these are the familiar, often-reissued stereo recordings. See some individual volumes for additional notes . . .)
Stravinsky: Agon
Stravinsky: Canticum sacrum

DISC 21:
Stravinsky: Threni

DISC 22:
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
Stravinsky: Petrushka (Revised 1947 Version)

DISC 23: (This is a Charles Rosen piano solo collection. Stravinsky does not participate.)
Stravinsky: Serenade for Piano in A Major
Stravinsky: Piano Sonata
Schoenberg: Piano Piece, Op. 33a
Schoenberg: Piano Piece, Op. 33b
Schoenberg: Suite for Piano, Op. 25

DISC 24:
Stravinsky: Movements for Piano and Orchestra
Stravinsky: Double Canon "Raoul Dufy in Memoriam"
Stravinsky: Epitaphium
Stravinsky: Octet for Wind Instruments
Stravinsky: Histoire du Soldat - Suite

DISC 25:
Gesualdo: Madrigals
Stravinsky: Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa
Stravinsky: Illumina nos

DISC 26:
Stravinsky: Le Rossignol

DISC 27:
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Original 1910 Version)

DISC 28:
Stravinsky: Concerto in D Major for Violin and Orchestra
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements

DISC 29: (This is a Gold & Fizdale two-piano LP; again, Stravinsky does not participate.)
[...]

DISC 55: (This is a 1976 Tashi LP)
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat for Violin, Clarinet and Piano
Stravinsky: Septet for Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Piano, Violin, Viola & Cello
Stravinsky: Pastorale for Violin and Piano
Stravinsky: 3 Pieces for Clarinet Solo
Stravinsky: Suite italienne for Cello and Piano

DISC 56: (This is the 2007 CD release that combined Stravinsky's 1961 recording of the Suite with the recently-found 1967 Robert Craft recording of the instrumental interludes that were recorded for an eventual complete version.)
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat (Jeremy Irons, narrator)

DVD:
Stravinsky in Hollywood - A Film by Marco Capalbo

If anyone has any other questions about particular recordings, I'd be glad to help.

Mark O-T
JohnA
2015-10-20 09:31:03 UTC
Post by JohnA
Post by Randy Lane
Interesting to see what it includes for L'Histoire du Soldat other than the Suite recording.
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite
Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite
{I believe that the two listings above are the same performance]
No, I find that one is the mono, the other is the stereo.
Lawrence Chalmers
Is the full orchestra version of Le Noces in this set. Not too sure since Robert Craft made that recording.
Mark Obert-Thorn
2015-10-20 16:46:29 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Is the full orchestra version of Le Noces in this set. Not too sure since Robert Craft made that recording.
Yes, it's on CD 54.

Mark O-T
m***@yahoo.com
2015-10-21 08:08:59 UTC
Mark, how does the Baiser Divertimento Mexican recording sound, compared with your excellent transfer for Parnassus? Are they using source material? Thanks!
Mark Obert-Thorn
2015-10-21 13:22:13 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
Mark, how does the Baiser Divertimento Mexican recording sound, compared with your excellent transfer for Parnassus? Are they using source material? Thanks!
They used a more problematic source. It may have been from shellac discs, such as I used. The note for the volume it appears on talks about observations made from test pressings, which suggests this.

There is some obtrusive, noisy crunching going on in some of the sides. However, they applied denoising to the transfer, so that overall it comes out sounding quieter than mine, albeit in a processed kind of way. (I have to say, though, that most of the early recordings, newly transferred from Columbia's wide-range lacquer discs, sound great here, and are not over-processed.)

Mark O-T
Oscar
2015-12-18 00:40:21 UTC
What a marvel this set is! I have just finished listening to one of the great recordings of the second half of the 20th century, restored and sounding like it _never_ has before. All hail Andreas K. Meyer!

Disc 11
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex, Opera-Oratorio in 2 Acts after Sophocles
Text: Jean Cocteau. Latin translation: Jean Daniélou. Narration in French.

Peter Pears (T)
Martha Mödl (S)
Heinz Rehfuss (Bar)
Otto von Rohr (B)
Helmut Krebs (T)
Jean Cocteau (narrator)
Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester & Chor / Igor Stravinsky

Recording: Cologne, Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk, October 8, 1951 & Paris, May 1952 [narration].
Transferred, mixed and mastered from the original analogue disks and tapes using 24-bit/96 kHz technology by Andreas K. Meyer and Jeanne Montalvo, Meyer Media LLC.

Original LP: ML 4644. Released March 16, 1953.
LP Matrix Nos.: xLP 12780 [1-9]; xLP 12781 [10-24].
Publisher: Boosey & Hawkes.
Total time: 51:40.
℗ 1953 Sony Music Entertainment.

The Complete Columbia Album Collection:
Produced by Robert Russ.
Booklet editor: Jochen Rudelt, texthouse.
Design: [ec:ko] communications.
Discographical research: Philip Stuart & Michael Gray.
Tape research: Anthony Fountain.
Document research: Michael Panico.
drh8h
Could not agree more. A perfect group of singers for this piece. I would flee an Aida with the same cast, although Krebs as the Messenger would be a treat, but they are all unsurpassed in their roles here. Stravinsky proves his mettle as a conductor. Cocteau is incomparable. The orchestra is a little recessed, but that just increases the 50s period charm, if such a word can be used about the story of this "fool."
Frank Berger
2015-12-18 14:52:07 UTC
If I understand correctly, this:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=922269

purports to be the same recording, claiming it was actually
made Oct 7, not 8. Also that it wasn't a Columbia
recording, though it was released on Columbia LP.
Interestingly, the Acanta release has the original German
narration, and the Columbia LP release replaced it with
Cocteau's French narration. No idea about the sound quality
of the Acanta, or the accuracy of what Arkiv says.