Which K.550 recordings do you like?
2018-12-05 07:11:50 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
2018-12-05 13:49:37 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.

2018-12-05 14:18:21 UTC
Post by O
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.
I double the bet it's going to be before 1975 vintage.

Somehow that's more botsy.
Tassilo
2018-12-29 07:52:00 UTC
Post by O
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.
-Owen
There's another pool going: we're waiting to see how long it takes you guys to insult a perfectly innocent human being. Surely you've figured out by now that he's an aficionado of classical music who spends all his time reading articles about it. When he finds what he takes to be a pithy quotation he posts it here. Leave him the f--- alone. (Owen, weren't you the one who just posted approvingly of the new and improved more civil rmcr?)

-david gable
Herman
2018-12-29 08:46:09 UTC
Post by Tassilo
Post by O
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.
-Owen
There's another pool going: we're waiting to see how long it takes you guys to insult a perfectly innocent human being. Surely you've figured out by now that he's an aficionado of classical music who spends all his time reading articles about it. When he finds what he takes to be a pithy quotation he posts it here. Leave him the f--- alone. (Owen, weren't you the one who just posted approvingly of the new and improved more civil rmcr?)
-david gable
I understand your feeling, David, but really there is no indication whatsoever that individual in question spends much time with classical music, other than Holst's Neptune.
Nor is there much of an excuse for posting the same quizzical link / finding five or six different times in different topics so as to make sure you get attention. I do not find that totally "innocent", but more like a constant power grab.
2018-12-30 04:03:53 UTC
Post by Tassilo
Post by O
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.
-Owen
There's another pool going: we're waiting to see how long it takes you guys
to insult a perfectly innocent human being. Surely you've figured out by now
that he's an aficionado of classical music who spends all his time reading
articles about it. When he finds what he takes to be a pithy quotation he
posts it here. Leave him the f--- alone. (Owen, weren't you the one who
just posted approvingly of the new and improved more civil rmcr?)
-david gable
Yes, I was, and will try to be more civil and welcoming in the coming
New Year.

-Owen
wkasimer
2018-12-05 15:16:30 UTC
Live or studio.
Bruggen:

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Mandryka
2018-12-05 20:11:53 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by dk
Live or studio.
https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Post by dk
Live or studio.
https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Another vote for that Bruggen CD with two orchestras. The deleted post above is mine, I had a memory of Kocsis being good, but on returning to it just now I think it's not quite in the same league as Bruggen.

Just before Bruggen died he made another recording of the final three symphonies on Glossa, I have to say I prefer the earlier 40 I think. The last one dramatic, incisively articulated and full of powerfully contrasted phrases -- Harnoncourt sometimes played it like this I think too. For me it's a bit too much, too operatic.
Russ (not Martha)
2018-12-05 15:52:01 UTC
Furtwängler/VPO (one of my very few Furts)

Reiner/CSO

Levine/CSO, with the finale development/recap repeat edited out.

Russ (not Martha)
Mandryka
2018-12-05 19:34:57 UTC
Another vote for that Bruggen CD with two orchestras. Kocsis also not half bad neither.
AB
2018-12-05 20:06:43 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
4 hand piano version which I played years ago:-)

AB
m***@gmail.com
2018-12-05 22:00:35 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
I'm very fond of a performance conducted by Martin Turnovsky with the Brno Philharmonic. I have it on a Crossroads LP I bought in the early 70s, a recording originally released by Supraphon. It is not as hard-driven as Szell and some others, but has a gentler melancholy about it that is very touching, more resignation than defiance. I don't recall ever seeing it on CD, but it may be obtainable somewhere - Japan, maybe?

Mark
Frank Berger
2018-12-06 01:47:32 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by dk
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
I'm very fond of a performance conducted by Martin Turnovsky with the Brno Philharmonic. I have it on a Crossroads LP I bought in the early 70s, a recording originally released by Supraphon. It is not as hard-driven as Szell and some others, but has a gentler melancholy about it that is very touching, more resignation than defiance. I don't recall ever seeing it on CD, but it may be obtainable somewhere - Japan, maybe?
Mark
Can't find any evidence that it was ever on CD. There are plenty of LPs
for sale. Interestingly, its available for download on Amazon, together
with #29, with which it was paired on LP. Which raises the question,
how did it get there? Who digitized it? It shows a Supraphon
copyright, but is not available or mentioned at the Supraphon web site.
Mandryka
2018-12-06 07:15:52 UTC
Has anyone formed an opinion of the new one from Mathieu Herzog yet?
MELMOTH
2018-12-05 22:50:53 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
*Szell*...
*Marriner*...
*Hogwood*...
Gerard
2018-12-06 16:49:24 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
In non-alphabetical order:
Marriner (Philips)
Giulini (Decca)
Brüggen (Philips 1985)
Mackerras (Telarc)
Immerseel
Brüggen (Philips. 2 orchestras)
Mackerras (Linn)
Minkowski
Gardiner (Philips)
Brüggen (Glossa)
Harnoncourt (I think the first of his 3 recordings)
s***@gmail.com
2018-12-06 18:25:38 UTC
Von Dohnanyi/Cleveland, Wand/NDR, Jochum/Concertgebouw, Szell/Cleveland/live in Tokyo, Bohm/Concertgebouw
Tatonik
2018-12-30 15:44:58 UTC
I have been too frugal in my acquisition of Mozart symphonies over the
years, which makes me ill-qualified to answer the question. This,
however, has never stopped me before. I started out with Marriner and
the Academy on cassette, but it has been so long since I've listened to
any of my cassettes that I can't summon a mental image of what the
performance was like. Then I bought Mackerras and Prague on CD, and
lived with it for many years, neither loving nor hating it. Finally
after a couple of decades I decided that Mackerras is not the man for
me. He's not a fussy conductor, which is good, I suppose; he's plain -
lean and bouncy, on a healthy trot toward his destination. Yet these
qualities do not make up for what I find to be a paucity of imagination.

Recently I bought Gardiner with the English Baroque Soloists, and I
think I'll stick with it for awhile. I like it. I hear a stronger
musical imagination at work, and I'm more inspired to whistle along with
the music. Whistling is one of the privileges of listening at home.
Mackerras never made me whistle.
Mandryka
2018-12-30 16:17:41 UTC
Of the old fashioned ones, the ones I like most are Richard Strauss’s I think, and Scherchen’s.
Mandryka
2018-12-30 16:22:47 UTC
Glad to see there’s no advocates for Furtwangler’s crazy version. I know he was a great musician and I don’t mean to be too disrespectful or offensive, but to me it sounds adolescent, immature. Did Mengelberg record it? Or van Beinum.

Thanks to Howowitz for pointing out the Rosbaud SWR, I have a performance of it by Rosbaud in Baden Baden, but the sound is unbearable.
drh8h
2018-12-31 02:03:36 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Glad to see there’s no advocates for Furtwangler’s crazy version. I know he was a great musician and I don’t mean to be too disrespectful or offensive, but to me it sounds adolescent, immature. Did Mengelberg record it? Or van Beinum.
Thanks to Howowitz for pointing out the Rosbaud SWR, I have a performance of it by Rosbaud in Baden Baden, but the sound is unbearable.
I don't think there are any Mengelberg recordings of Mozart symphonies. Check this site:

http://www.willemmengelberg.nl/?q=discografie

Thirty years or more ago, I heard a radio documentary about van Beinum, which I believe contained material from his 25th anniversary season with the Concertgebouw in 1956, which had also been part of a tribute aired in the Netherlands at the time. Part of it was a rehearsal of the g minor. If a broadcast of this symphony has survived, it hasn't come my way. He recorded 29, 33 and 35 that I remember.

DH
Oscar
2018-12-31 06:23:42 UTC
I do not hold his version in high esteem, either, and I think he was a supreme musician. Unlike David Hurwitz.
Lawrence Kart
2019-01-01 00:35:19 UTC
Peter Maag

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Late-Symphonies-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B0000YO63I
Lawrence Kart
2019-01-01 00:41:40 UTC

Steve Choe
2019-01-02 06:39:11 UTC
I imprinted on Bernstein (VPO) and when I heard Furtwaengler I was taken aback by the fast tempo of the first movement. I'm also a big admirer of F.'s performances and his multiple recordings of K.550 seem to be cut from the same conceptual mold. The movement is marked "molto allegro," but I frankly prefer versions that take it more slowly, such as from Bernstein, Britten, or even Boehm, which seem to me to convey the tragedy of the music more effectively. Klemperer has long been my favorite in this regard.
In terms of fast first movements, on the other hand, Levine (Chicago) is the best I've heard.
Tom Wood
2019-01-02 21:10:55 UTC
I would vote for Szell/Cleveland, Gardiner/EBS and Levine/Vienna.
drh8h
2018-12-29 15:32:57 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
Just sticking to the "historic," in no particular order:

Good to Great:

Casals
Britten (but those repeats!)
Toscanini shellac and some of the live performances
Giulini Decca
Furtwängler live
Beecham shellac
Sargent
Szell commercial recordings
Reiner Chicago (Pittsburgh sound and playing is a definite minus)
Davis with London Symphony

Misses:

Koussevitzky
Strauss (two versions, not as good as his 39 and 41, which are much less well-known.)
Stock
Beecham lp
Furtwängler shellac, except first movement which is in the league with Casals and Toscanini
Szell in Japan
Walter, although his early shellac has more life, but the playing....

Can't make up my mind:

Barshai
Bernstein (either)
Karajan--too many to chose from. I do like some of his late-70s Mozart for DG.
Kleiber (bad sound in every version I have heard.)
Jochum

Sure I missed someone's favorite.

DH
Herman
2018-12-29 15:39:04 UTC
but why would a person limit himself that way?
vhorowitz
2018-12-29 20:21:08 UTC
Rosbaud in the new SWR set. Gorgeous.
drh8h
2018-12-29 22:13:42 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Rosbaud in the new SWR set. Gorgeous.
And he does both versions.

I was only limiting myself to discussion of the performers I know best. I cannot keep up these days. Those who know more about the contemporary can alert us what is good and what to avoid. I have to say, one day I turned on the radio and heard a recent performance of the symphony and was not impressed at all. My memory bank almost immediately removed the name of the performers, but I am sure they were well-known because I could not imagine how it could be so dull with a conductor and orchestra of repute.

DH
billinrio
2018-12-29 23:52:26 UTC
The one I keep going back to is the Krips/Concertgebouw on Philips (LP
6500 430, Remastered CD ‎– 478 9194.
musicologyman
2018-12-30 05:08:45 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
Klemperer stereo recording with Philharmonia. That's the one I use when I teach. Retro, I know, but I want my students to hear an approach that reflects K. 550 as commentators and historians fit it into a historical narrative rather than in an imagined reconstruction of how it sounded to late eighteenth-century audiences. I have no problem with the latter, but the sense in which an approach like Klemperer's "belongs to history" is stronger than that of HIP performances (which belong to a different sort of historical narrative--and one that has less to do with why these pieces have endured).