Which K.550 recordings do you like?
2018-12-05 07:11:50 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
2018-12-05 13:49:37 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.

2018-12-05 14:18:21 UTC
Post by O
There's a pool going as to how long it will be until the Quote Bot
posts that there's one on youtube.
I double the bet it's going to be before 1975 vintage.

Somehow that's more botsy.
wkasimer
2018-12-05 15:16:30 UTC
Live or studio.
Bruggen:

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Mandryka
2018-12-05 20:11:53 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by dk
Live or studio.
https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Post by dk
Live or studio.
https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Orchestras-Symphonies-Frans-Bruggen/dp/B003J4RZ3E
Another vote for that Bruggen CD with two orchestras. The deleted post above is mine, I had a memory of Kocsis being good, but on returning to it just now I think it's not quite in the same league as Bruggen.

Just before Bruggen died he made another recording of the final three symphonies on Glossa, I have to say I prefer the earlier 40 I think. The last one dramatic, incisively articulated and full of powerfully contrasted phrases -- Harnoncourt sometimes played it like this I think too. For me it's a bit too much, too operatic.
Russ (not Martha)
2018-12-05 15:52:01 UTC
Furtwängler/VPO (one of my very few Furts)

Reiner/CSO

Levine/CSO, with the finale development/recap repeat edited out.

Russ (not Martha)
Mandryka
2018-12-05 19:34:57 UTC
Another vote for that Bruggen CD with two orchestras. Kocsis also not half bad neither.
AB
2018-12-05 20:06:43 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
4 hand piano version which I played years ago:-)

AB
m***@gmail.com
2018-12-05 22:00:35 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
I'm very fond of a performance conducted by Martin Turnovsky with the Brno Philharmonic. I have it on a Crossroads LP I bought in the early 70s, a recording originally released by Supraphon. It is not as hard-driven as Szell and some others, but has a gentler melancholy about it that is very touching, more resignation than defiance. I don't recall ever seeing it on CD, but it may be obtainable somewhere - Japan, maybe?

Mark
Frank Berger
2018-12-06 01:47:32 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by dk
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
I'm very fond of a performance conducted by Martin Turnovsky with the Brno Philharmonic. I have it on a Crossroads LP I bought in the early 70s, a recording originally released by Supraphon. It is not as hard-driven as Szell and some others, but has a gentler melancholy about it that is very touching, more resignation than defiance. I don't recall ever seeing it on CD, but it may be obtainable somewhere - Japan, maybe?
Mark
Can't find any evidence that it was ever on CD. There are plenty of LPs
for sale. Interestingly, its available for download on Amazon, together
with #29, with which it was paired on LP. Which raises the question,
how did it get there? Who digitized it? It shows a Supraphon
copyright, but is not available or mentioned at the Supraphon web site.
Mandryka
2018-12-06 07:15:52 UTC
Has anyone formed an opinion of the new one from Mathieu Herzog yet?
MELMOTH
2018-12-05 22:50:53 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
*Szell*...
*Marriner*...
*Hogwood*...
Gerard
2018-12-06 16:49:24 UTC
Live or studio.
Thx,
dk
In non-alphabetical order:
Marriner (Philips)
Giulini (Decca)
Brüggen (Philips 1985)
Mackerras (Telarc)
Immerseel
Brüggen (Philips. 2 orchestras)
Mackerras (Linn)
Minkowski
Gardiner (Philips)
Brüggen (Glossa)
Harnoncourt (I think the first of his 3 recordings)
s***@gmail.com
2018-12-06 18:25:38 UTC
Von Dohnanyi/Cleveland, Wand/NDR, Jochum/Concertgebouw, Szell/Cleveland/live in Tokyo, Bohm/Concertgebouw