OT- State Fair Food 2019 ( and " Iowa Nice " )
2019-07-30 00:12:21 UTC
Following the advice of Berger,I’ll defer further comments about TrumpReich, and instead refer you to the latest edition for the 2019 Fair starting August 16.

These are new for 2019, not a complete list:

https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/

Additional items in the “ food on a stick” category, again not complete:

https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/food-on-a-stick/

As an aside, I can report Iowa’s former long-time GOP Governor,Terry Branstad,appointed by Trump to be, and who now is, the US Ambassador to China, was earlier this month hit with a $1.5M verdict by an Iowa State Court jury for forcing out of office the head of Iowa’s Workers Compensation Commission, the jury agreeing the Commissioner was discriminated against because he is gay , a defeat for the IowaReich who several years ago got 3 Justices voted off the Iowa Supreme Court because the Justices approved gay marriage in Iowa. Branstad’s Lt.Governor ( Vice-Governor ) Reynolds, a GOP lady who succeeded him as a result of his appointment, last year signed a fetal-heart beat, anti-abortion law passed by Iowa’s GOP controlled legislature, which law a State Court Judge then promptly threw out as unconstitutional under the Iowa Constitution. So, perhaps ,we have something more than just good Fair food here ; time will tell.
HT
2019-07-30 08:14:16 UTC
So, perhaps ,we have something more than just good Fair food here ; time will tell.
<g> Does Iowa need more? Isn't it a perfect place to live. And there is Pella ...

2019-07-30 12:58:50 UTC
For those not familiar with Pella: https://www.visitpella.com/attractions/
AB
2019-07-30 17:05:05 UTC
Post by HT
<g> Does Iowa need more? Isn't it a perfect place to live. And there is Pella ...
For those not familiar with Pella: https://www.visitpella.com/attractions/
moving to Pella immediately :-)

AB
p***@yahoo.com
2019-07-31 14:23:07 UTC
I was in Pella last year. It's a gorgeous little town. It's also not a long drive from Sully, the home of the Coffee Cup Cafe, which serves the best banana-cream pie I've ever had.
Mark Zimmer
2019-07-30 15:44:55 UTC
[...]
When in Iowa, always have a pork tenderloin sandwich. Or several.

Mark
Bob Harper
2019-07-30 21:54:39 UTC
Post by Mark Zimmer
When in Iowa, always have a pork tenderloin sandwich. Or several.
Absolutely correct. With dill ( not sweet ) pickle thin slices on top and bright yellow mustard, no ketchup.
https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-breaded-pork-tenderloin-in-iowa/
Steve, We agree about very little, but this is one of the things about
which we are in accord. I like living in the PNW, but to my knowledge
one cannot get a decent pork tenderloin sandwich out here. Iowa's are
the best, bar none.

I was only in Oregon once, on business, and then only Portland, 15 -20 years ago, but still recall a dinner with wonderful food, eg. freshly picked mushrooms, wild rice, salmon, fresh berries, pinot noir, a great craft beer selection ( even at the airport bar ), an impressive downtown, and impressive view in full sunlight of Mt.Hood and the legendary Columbia Gorge as we flew in. Plus, learned how to correctly pronounce “ Willamette.”
Bob Harper
2019-07-31 17:03:50 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
which we are in accord. I like living in the PNW, but to my knowledge
one cannot get a decent pork tenderloin sandwich out here. Iowa's are
the best, bar none.
I was only in Oregon once, on business, and then only Portland, 15 -20 years ago, but still recall a dinner with wonderful food, eg. freshly picked mushrooms, wild rice, salmon, fresh berries, pinot noir, a great craft beer selection ( even at the airport bar ), an impressive downtown, and impressive view in full sunlight of Mt.Hood and the legendary Columbia Gorge as we flew in. Plus, learned how to correctly pronounce “ Willamette.”
All true, though between the wretched traffic and the homeless situation
the downtown is less attractive than it was then.

Your mention of the pronunciation of 'Willamette' reminded me of an
episode 40 years ago. I was brand new out here in a sales territory for
my company in Appleton, WI. The president and owner of the firm came out
for a few days to make calls with me, and I had to think long and hard
about whether to correct his pronunciation of the river's name. I
finally did, and to my great relief he took it well (his irascibility
was legendary, though to be fair he was in constant pain because of
injuries suffered in WWII).

Bob Harper
weary flake
2019-07-31 21:07:51 UTC
Following the advice of Berger,I’ll defer further comments about
TrumpReich, and instead refer you to the latest edition for the 2019
Fair starting August 16.
so you still give us trump on a stick?
Post by Bozo
https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/
https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/food-on-a-stick/
As an aside, I can report Iowa’s former long-time GOP Governor,Terry
Branstad,appointed by Trump to be, and who now is, the US Ambassador to
China, was earlier this month hit with a $1.5M verdict by an Iowa
State Court jury for forcing out of office the head of Iowa’s Workers
Compensation Commission, the jury agreeing the Commissioner was
discriminated against because he is gay ,
I doubt that, I've heard it framed many times that to oppose Gay
Politics is to be anti-Gay and a personal attack on all Gays;
but such a stance is an attack by Gay Politics on Gays who are
against Gay Marriage, Gays who oppose the Gay political machine,
etc., which Gay Politics arrogantly says is impossible.
Post by Bozo
a defeat for the IowaReich who several years ago got 3 Justices voted
off the Iowa Supreme Court because the Justices approved gay marriage
in Iowa.
Iowa voters disapproved of the justices and voted them out?
Are you suggesting that voting is an act of tyranny?
Post by Bozo
Branstad’s Lt.Governor ( Vice-Governor ) Reynolds, a GOP lady who
succeeded him as a result of his appointment, last year signed a
fetal-heart beat, anti-abortion law passed by Iowa’s GOP controlled
legislature, which law a State Court Judge then promptly threw out as
unconstitutional under the Iowa Constitution. So, perhaps ,we have
something more than just good Fair food here ; time will tell.
The anti-abortion movement is a menace, as it seeks to terrify
people into not having children; their endless threats against
men, women and children have to be recognized and countered if
we want a safe environment for families.
Bozo
2019-07-31 22:43:03 UTC
Post by weary flake
Iowa voters disapproved of the justices and voted them out?
Are you suggesting that voting is an act of tyranny?
Voting certainly can be tyranny in the hands of a foolish electorate.Re-read Federalist Papers # 10: "... Complaints are everywhere heard from our most considerate and virtuous citizens, equally the friends of public and private faith, and of public and personal liberty, that our governments are too unstable, that the public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties,and that measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority....When a majority is included in a faction, the form of popular government,on the other hand, enables it to sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the private rights of other citizens.To secure the public good and private rights against the danger of such a faction, and at the same time to preserve the spirit and form of popular government, is then the great object to which our inquiries are directed." Or, as Lincoln stated, " You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time." The driving force to oust the Justices came from a then ally of Iowa Rep.Steve King.Iowa went for Trump in 2016 and elected Trump buddy and former anti-gay Gov.Branstad to about 16 years as Governor. ( I always apologize when telling people I'm from Iowa.)

Another anti-abotionist:

"Women were central to Adolf Hitler’s plan to create an ideal “Aryan” Community (Volksgemeinschaft). Praising German women as “our most loyal, fanatical fellow-combatants,” Hitler valued women for both their activism in the Nazi movement and their biological power as generators of the race. In Nazi thinking, a larger, racially purer population would enhance Germany’s military strength and provide settlers to colonize conquered territory in eastern Europe. The Third Reich’s aggressive population policy encouraged “racially pure” women to bear as many children as possible.

Nazi population policy took a radical turn in 1936 when SS leaders created the state-directed program known as Lebensborn (Fount of Life). In an extension of the SS Marriage Order of 1932, the 1936 Lebensborn ordinance prescribed that every SS member should father four children, in or out of wedlock. Lebensborn homes sheltered single mothers with their children, provided birth documents and financial support, and recruited adoptive parents for the children.

In the end, however, the Lebensborn program was never promoted aggressively. Instead, Nazi population policy concentrated on the family and marriage. The state encouraged matrimony through marriage loans, dispensed family income supplements for each new child, publicly honored "child-rich" families, bestowed the Cross of Honor of the German Mother on women bearing four or more babies, and increased punishments for abortion. "

I apologize to RMCR ; I'll shut up now.
Bozo
2019-07-31 22:44:30 UTC
Forgot the link; sorry ,again: https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/women-in-the-third-reich