Furtwangler's Beethoven
2019-05-15 07:57:14 UTC
Subject: Furtwangler's Beethoven
Date: 2/8/2002 6:46 PM Central Standard Time
For you Furtwangler experts - if I was to assemble the Beethoven Nine
conducted by Furtwangler in the best combination of performance and sound,
what would your choices be? (Because that's exactly what I want to do!!)
No. 1 - The EMI 1952 studio recording
No. 2- One choice only (and it isn't very satisfying)
No. 3 - Here is where it gets interesting, as there are lots of choices. I like
the 1944 Vienna Phil version, best transferred on Bayer Da Capo 200 002, or
Preiser 90251. Also well transferred in M&A set 4049.
No. 4 - The 1943 is my favorite - but hard to find in a good transfer; The 1952
EMI Studio recording is also very good, and of course in better sound.
No. 5 - Like the Eroica, very complicated with many fine performances out
there. The 1943 Wartime Fifth is fabulously intense (Music & Arts 4049 is a
fine transfer). The May 1954 Berlin performance is in superb sound on Tahra
(issued more than one time by Tahra, with different catalog numbers). The 1954
is not as driven and ferocious as the 1943, but it is still dramatic, massive,
and with a real grandeur about it.
No. 6 - 1944 BPO - (again, best transfer is probably Music and Arts 4049)...
According to this:

- What is more, the Pastoral from the same concert is for me the greatest of all Furtwangler's recordings of the work.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/furtw%C3%A4ngler-conducts-brahms
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-29 13:59:08 UTC
For you Furtwangler experts - if I was to assemble the Beethoven Nine
conducted by Furtwangler in the best combination of performance and sound,
what would your choices be? (Because that's exactly what I want to do!!)
(Recent Youtube upload):

Review: Why Furtwängler's 1942 Nazi Ninth Really Sucks