Scythian Suite
2018-12-04 21:57:39 UTC
If Google is truly accurate, nobody has ever created a thread about this. Perhaps I should expect no responses.

Often mentioned when discussing Le Sacre, that fact has never compelled me to pay much attention to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. In my random listenings, I yesterday heard a bit of it by Littton/Bergen and while it sounded well-played, it didn't have much malice or danger to it. If I recall MTT talking about his BSO Sacre as an attempt at a buoyant party, Litton's track sounded very much the same.

Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
g***@gmail.com
2018-12-04 23:18:07 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
If Google is truly accurate, nobody has ever created a thread about this. Perhaps I should expect no responses.
Often mentioned when discussing Le Sacre, that fact has never compelled me to pay much attention to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. In my random listenings, I yesterday heard a bit of it by Littton/Bergen and while it sounded well-played, it didn't have much malice or danger to it. If I recall MTT talking about his BSO Sacre as an attempt at a buoyant party, Litton's track sounded very much the same.
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
(Recent Youtube upload):

Prokofiev - The Symphonies n°1,2,3,4,5,6,7 / Scythian Suite (Century's recording : Walter Weller)
MiNe109
2018-12-04 23:31:54 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
If Google is truly accurate, nobody has ever created a thread about
this. Perhaps I should expect no responses.
Often mentioned when discussing Le Sacre, that fact has never
compelled me to pay much attention to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. In
my random listenings, I yesterday heard a bit of it by Littton/Bergen
and while it sounded well-played, it didn't have much malice or
danger to it. If I recall MTT talking about his BSO Sacre as an
attempt at a buoyant party, Litton's track sounded very much the
same.
I just ordered the MTT Pentatone quad reissue.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
Abbado/Chicago. Big brass!

If you prefer the piece with a rock drummer, ELP Works Vol 1 has it.
Frank Berger
2018-12-04 23:38:34 UTC
Scherchen is pretty violent.
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-12-05 03:47:03 UTC
My favorites are Dorati and Abbado.
Max
2018-12-05 11:36:02 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
*Scherchen*...
*Dorati*...
Orchman
2018-12-05 14:28:53 UTC
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?>>
Abbado/CSO - my fave...
Dorati/LSO, and Bernstein/NYPO are very good also...
Russ (not Martha)
2018-12-05 15:56:05 UTC
Abaddo/LSO

Leinsdorf/BSO (CDR sourced from open reel)

Russ (not Martha)
Russ (not Martha)
2018-12-07 00:50:47 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Abaddo/LSO
Leinsdorf/BSO (CDR sourced from open reel)
Russ (not Martha)
Whoops, I didn't mean Abbado (whose name I also misspelled), I meant Dorati, the Mercury recording.

Russ (not Martha)
Ed Presson
2018-12-07 23:48:35 UTC
Abbado/LSO
Leinsdorf/BSO (CDR sourced from open reel)
Russ (not Martha)
The Dorati is very good if you like the Mercury sound. I'm ambivalent.
Abbado is good, but I don't
care for the DG sound.

If you are looking for a blockbuster performance in blockbuster sound, you
might look at

"Music from the Machine Age" Onyx CD 4086 which gathers five rowdy,
sometimes
in-your-face pieces performed by the Borusan Istanbul Philharmonic Orchestra
conducted by Sascha Goetzel:

Prokofiev: Scythian Suite
Schulhoff: Ogelala Suite
Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin
Holst: The Perfect Fool (ballet)
Ravel: La Valse

The performances are powerful, not subtle, but they work just fine for the
first four works.
The orchestra is surprisingly competent with a big sound, but without
world-class refinement.
However, they do not capture the self-destructive decadence that I look for
in the Ravel,
that performance doesn't work for me.

Ed Presson
m***@gmail.com
2018-12-10 01:28:46 UTC
Celibidache live with the Curtis Symphony Orchestra in 1984. It's on YouTube - terrific, well-paced, violent performance. The encore of the Evil God mvt is even more high-octane, and the audience goes nuts.
Frank Berger
2018-12-10 03:25:39 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
If Google is truly accurate, nobody has ever created a thread about this. Perhaps I should expect no responses.
Often mentioned when discussing Le Sacre, that fact has never compelled me to pay much attention to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. In my random listenings, I yesterday heard a bit of it by Littton/Bergen and while it sounded well-played, it didn't have much malice or danger to it. If I recall MTT talking about his BSO Sacre as an attempt at a buoyant party, Litton's track sounded very much the same.
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
That was part of his first U.S. performance. He recorded the Scythian
Suite with the Stuttgart Radio SO and the Munich PO, though I've not
seen the latter on CD only for download. It's not even on the "Munich
Years" Warner box, so maybe the download stuff is wrongly labeled?
Frank Berger
2018-12-10 03:55:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
If Google is truly accurate, nobody has ever created a thread about
this. Perhaps I should expect no responses.
Often mentioned when discussing Le Sacre, that fact has never
compelled me to pay much attention to Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. In
my random listenings, I yesterday heard a bit of it by Littton/Bergen
and while it sounded well-played, it didn't have much malice or
danger to it. If I recall MTT talking about his BSO Sacre as an
attempt at a buoyant party, Litton's track sounded very much the same.
Is there a Scythian Suite that you favor, malicious or not?
That was part of his first U.S. performance.  He recorded the Scythian
Suite with the Stuttgart Radio SO and the Munich PO, though I've not
seen the latter on CD only for download. It's not even on the "Munich
Years" Warner box, so maybe the download stuff is wrongly labeled?
And another Scythian with the Staatskapelle Dresden on the Memories label.