Jessye Norman RIP
Add Reply
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-09-30 23:27:06 UTC
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-30 23:46:38 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.opera/QKWEMQTk-dQ
Al Eisner
2019-10-01 01:08:04 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
Not yet a full obit, but worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/obituaries/jessye-norman-dead.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
2019-10-01 02:08:51 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
Yes, a great singer, only 74.
Most recent recording if hers I listened to was Tippet's A Child of Our Time.

The reaper has been busy -- other threads mention Rouse and Badura-Skoda, but deaths in the last few days also include:

Martin Bernheimer - critic
Martin Wesley-Smith - composed The Boojum
not to mention, outside the music world, J Chirac and Napoleon Chagnon...
Andy Evans
2019-10-01 09:34:01 UTC
I listened to her several times over the weekend, not knowing of her untimely passing. One of my favourites and a unique singer. She will leave her mark.
graham
2019-10-01 16:18:03 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
The Guardian has an article with clips of what they consider to be 10 of
her better performances.
I have always loved her "4 Last Songs" with Masur.
RANDY WOLFGANG
I listened to that Strauss disc last night - absolutely gorgeous
graham
To me, much preferable to Schwarzkopf.
Bozo
2019-10-01 18:28:08 UTC
I recall her doing that work on a PBS TV special with Mehta,NYPO, at Avery Fisher.After the first song, a be-furred matron in one of the front rows directly in front of Norman began clapping.Norman just continued beaming out into the hall, while Mehta shot the matron an angry look he's fortunate did not cause a heart attack right then.
c***@gmail.com
2019-10-02 00:45:23 UTC
A comparison with Schwarzkopf is valid only for the 4 Last Songs and Ariadne (a great studio recording by ES of excerpts only). But I heard them both in lieder recitals and they were as different as night and day.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-10-02 04:19:46 UTC
Actually Schwarzkopf recorded a complete and superb Ariadne in 1954.
Ed Presson
2019-10-01 22:41:35 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
I agree, but she must have been a diva in every sense; I remember a report
that after she departed from
some engagement,
"We survived the Norman invasion" T-shirts were handed out to the supporting
musicians.

Perhaps that was a bad moment.
RANDY WOLFGANG
But of course one you felt you just had to mention
JohnGavin
2019-10-02 05:10:52 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
A superb singer with involved effective acting. She will be sorely missed.
I agree, but she must have been a diva in every sense; I remember a report
that after she departed from
some engagement,
"We survived the Norman invasion" T-shirts were handed out to the supporting
musicians.

Perhaps that was a bad moment.

I heard that same story in connection with Kathleen Battle. Are you sure you’re not confusing the two singers?
JohnGavin
2019-10-02 14:21:26 UTC
Here is an excerpt from an article in the late 90s:

In 1994, the Metropolitan Opera fired the superstar soprano during rehearsals for Donizetti's Fille du Régiment for what the New York company deemed "unprofessional actions." A year earlier, beleaguered staffers at the San Francisco Opera wore T-shirts proclaiming "I survived the Battle."