Old Google Groups link
Add Reply
laraine
2013-06-17 16:12:34 UTC
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.

https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en

Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.

C.
Mort
2013-06-17 18:33:02 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi Laraine,

Thanks a lot for the helpful post.

Mort Linder
John Thomas
2013-06-17 20:42:39 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
r.m.c.r. is directly accessible with this link:
https://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/topics?hl=en

However, Google is preset to snatch you back to its new format at your
first click of a link unless you have a browser in your arrmory that's
not compatible with the new groups. If you use a Mac and want to be
able to access the older Google groups format this free browser
http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/download/
will do it for you.
Al Eisner
2013-06-18 23:40:01 UTC
Post by John Thomas
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
https://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/topics?hl=en
However, Google is preset to snatch you back to its new format at your
first click of a link unless you have a browser in your arrmory that's
not compatible with the new groups. If you use a Mac and want to be
able to access the older Google groups format this free browser
http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/download/
will do it for you.
I'm having real trouble understandingb this thread. I use a link similar
to the one John Thomas gives above --
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/topics?lnk
(I'm not sure what the stuff at the end of either link does.) Using
it in a firebox browser, I am solidly in the old style Google groups.
On rare occasions (perhaps when I have a new browser version?) Google
tries to switch me to the new form, and there is a perpetual message that
the old form is going away, but there is always an option provided to
switch to the old form. So I don't udnerstand why people are having
trouble with this. (Options might be findable from a "gear" symbol.)
laraine
2013-06-19 00:24:23 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by John Thomas
Post by laraine
[...]
Your link to the lower level did work to get me back into the Old Google Groups gui... Great.

So now I have two tabs open, one in the Old:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/browse_frm/thread/829427e882d7b78f/d3411f78cdf03a85#d3411f78cdf03a85

and one in the New:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/rec.music.classical.recordings/gpQn6ILXt48

What has happened, however, as of about last Monday, is that if one does end up in New Google Groups gui, which is where they put you by default, the menu settings to get back to Old Google Groups gui don't seem to be there anymore (gear symbol, etc.).

The link to the intermediate level of OGG that I gave above is just not enough anymore to enable one to navigate to a lower level in OGG, I believe, but the lower-level link that you gave will do it as of now, as far as I can tell.

In other words, we'll have to go outside the guis.

C.
laraine
2013-06-19 01:27:46 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Al Eisner
Post by John Thomas
Post by laraine
[...]
Just one more clarification --
The URL groups.google.com/ seems to take me by default to the NGG, but using Google's very top level menu does not right away...

C.

C.
John Thomas
2013-06-19 15:52:14 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by laraine
The link to the intermediate level of OGG that I gave above is just not enough anymore to enable one to navigate to a lower level in OGG, I believe, but the lower-level link that you gave will do it as of now, as far as I can tell.
In other words, we'll have to go outside the guis.
C.
That's why using a browser that is incompatible with the new user
groups is the only way to stay on the old groups page without
interruption. I've already linked to such a browser for Mac users.
It *may* also be possible to find an older version of Internet
Explorer that will do the same for Windows users.
Steve Emerson
2013-06-19 17:17:41 UTC
In article
Post by John Thomas
That's why using a browser that is incompatible with the new user
groups is the only way to stay on the old groups page without
interruption. I've already linked to such a browser for Mac users.
It *may* also be possible to find an older version of Internet
Explorer that will do the same for Windows users.
Omniweb (the one you linked to) is my main browser. After months of
warnings that my browser is incompatible with the New Google Groups, and
that the old is going away -- a couple of days ago I started being given
Symphonyshare in the New Google Groups format. Whence, the little
gear/settings icon did not offer me the Old Groups display, at least
that I could find.

Thanks to this thread, I was able (for now) to get into the old format
using

http://groups.google.com/group/[NameOfGroup]/topics?lnk

Very helpful. Thanks to those who supplied it.

SE.
John Thomas
2013-06-20 02:32:07 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
In article
Post by John Thomas
[...]
I just checked SymphonyShare with OmniWeb 5.11.2 v622.19.3 and it's
still showing the "your browser is not compatible with" warning.
Al Eisner
2013-06-20 19:33:41 UTC
Post by laraine
What has happened, however, as of about last Monday, is that if one
does end up in New Google Groups gui, which is where they put you by
default, the menu settings to get back to Old Google Groups gui don't
seem to be there anymore (gear symbol, etc.).
Recent posts in another newsgroup claim that the ability to revert to the
old Google Groups has been intermittently available in the past few days.
Hopefully, like other Google glitches, it will settle back down in
what we regard as the "right" manner.
laraine
2013-06-19 00:40:27 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by John Thomas
Post by laraine
[...]
Well... when I tried hitting your link a 2nd time, it took me into the new google groups (in a separate tab)...

So... let's just do what we can.

C.
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-06-19 05:45:19 UTC
Post by laraine
Well... when I tried hitting your link a 2nd time, it took me into the
new google groups (in a separate tab)...
So... let's just do what we can.
Ahem. This one still works the way we want it to work:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&

YOU'RE WELCOME.
--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
John Thomas
Thank you so much o divine god of the one true link!
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-06-23 17:33:36 UTC
John Thomas <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:602fe7c2-f10f-41f1-88a9-c4b2512a48f3
Post by John Thomas
letters to be typed innews:e7caf9d2-53fe-4b94-a88d-4f3fcc1ee160
Post by laraine
Well... when I tried hitting your link a 2nd time, it took me into the
new google groups (in a separate tab)...
So... let's just do what we can.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Thank you so much o divine god of the one true link!
Not at all; just a humble netizen trying to do what he can. ;--)
laraine
2013-06-20 03:36:16 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by laraine
Well... when I tried hitting your link a 2nd time, it took me into the
new google groups (in a separate tab)...
So... let's just do what we can.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
You're right --looks like they left this one in limbo or still want it around.
It's straightforward to use and has lots of options.

I notice that there's also a search with some of the same options on the New Googles Groups, not quite as clear to me right now, but it yields some good results too.
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Well, happy summer to you too!

C.
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-06-23 17:33:36 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by laraine
Well... when I tried hitting your link a 2nd time, it took me into the
new google groups (in a separate tab)...
So... let's just do what we can.
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
You're right --looks like they left this one in limbo or still want it
around. It's straightforward to use and has lots of options.
I notice that there's also a search with some of the same options on the
New Googles Groups, not quite as clear to me right now, but it yields
some good results too.
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Well, happy summer to you too!
C.
Delighted to have been of assistance.
John Thomas
2013-06-19 15:44:51 UTC
Post by laraine
[...]
For some of us at least the option to switch back from the new groups
to the old groups disappeared around the first of June. That hasn't
happened for you?
EM
2013-06-17 21:05:00 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups,
This is a usenet group, not a Google group.

EM
Bob Harper
2013-06-17 22:27:40 UTC
Post by EM
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups,
This is a usenet group, not a Google group.
EM
But many people here read it in Google Groups, as I do when not at my
home computer. I'm slowly becoming used to the new format, but it's like
the new format for iTunes--bleah!

Bob Harper
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-06-18 06:00:16 UTC
laraine <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:8aee93ff-a3c2-4de5-9c69-
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google Groups, which is not
directly accessible anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
And you can search Usenet archives using this link:

laraine
2013-06-18 22:31:59 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Oh dear, It now seems that even when I log onto this Old Google Groups gui page, clicking on a particular group takes one to New Google Groups gui now. Twasn't doing that this morning, I don't think...

Some improvements at lower-level in New Google Groups gui, but no tree structure that I can find! Guess it might be easier to use something else to read. Thanks for all the info. though.

C.
2013-06-22 03:10:35 UTC
Every link in this thread took me to one page or another of the "new" Google groups. Bummer.

Only topic headlines are shown, and no preview text at all. Feh.

It was nice while it lasted...
Al Eisner
2013-06-24 20:40:23 UTC
Post by J
Every link in this thread took me to one page or another of the "new" Google groups. Bummer.
Only topic headlines are shown, and no preview text at all. Feh.
It was nice while it lasted...
It appears that they have finally made a break; the old form seems to be
no longer an option. I use google groups only for archive searches, and the
search currently really sucks. Once you select a particular "hit" for
a search, you are in the new format, but rather than show the message
actually selected, the display shows the whole thread starting at the top,
and no longer highlights either the selected message nor the search
terms. For threads with hundreds of posts, this is a killer. Another
problem is that while, for a particular thread, one can select from a
variety of display options, the selection does not "stick", so far as
I can tell.

There is perhaps one faint glimmer of hope. Within a new-format page,
the "Settings" (gear) button includes an option to send feedback to
Google on Google Groups (something they never allowed in the old format).
It requires being a registered user to use this. I'm not, but I'm hoping
someone else here might be sufficitnly motivated to outline some of the
problems to them. They might or might not regard the new format as
a "work in progress". Any takers?
a***@gmail.com
C.
Mort
2013-08-11 19:35:01 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi,

Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?

Mort Linder
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-08-11 19:44:35 UTC
Post by Mort
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google Groups, which is not
directly accessible anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
Well, this will get you to the Advanced Search:

Mort
2013-08-11 21:30:33 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Mort
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google Groups, which is not
directly accessible anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the helpful link.

Mort
Matthew B. Tepper
2013-08-12 04:02:42 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Mort
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google Groups, which is
not directly accessible anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups".
Is there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the helpful link.
Mort
You are very welcome.
Gerard
2013-08-12 09:28:09 UTC
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi,

Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?

Mort Linder

-----------------

I only could find this:

http://members.ziggo.nl/jdpt/bijlagen/welcometotheoldgooglegroups.htm
Mort
2013-08-12 14:35:10 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi,
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
Mort Linder
-----------------
http://members.ziggo.nl/jdpt/bijlagen/welcometotheoldgooglegroups.htm
That post says, "Welcome to the old Google Groups", with no links at
all. What is the purpose of it?

Thanks.

Mort Linder
Frank Berger
2013-08-12 15:34:49 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Mort
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi,
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
Mort Linder
-----------------
http://members.ziggo.nl/jdpt/bijlagen/welcometotheoldgooglegroups.htm
That post says, "Welcome to the old Google Groups", with no links at
all. What is the purpose of it?
Thanks.
Mort Linder
It has no purpose at all, which, if you think about it, pretty much
characterizes all of Gerard's posts.
Gerard

Apparently you can't think.
Gerard

I think that it answers your previous question.
laraine
2013-08-13 00:08:35 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Mort
Hi,
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
Mort Linder
-----------------
http://members.ziggo.nl/jdpt/bijlagen/welcometotheoldgooglegroups.htm
That post says, "Welcome to the old Google Groups", with no links at
all. What is the purpose of it?
Thanks.
Mort Linder
I think I get it now --it's a joke being sarcastic about the fact that we're not welcome to old Google groups anymore.

C.
laraine
2013-08-12 16:32:05 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
Hi,
Thanks for the link, which says, "Welcome to the new Google groups". Is
there a link that says welcome to the old Google groups?
Mort Linder
No, there's no welcome page like that anymore.

It seems that Google has now rerouted just about all of its newsgroups interface to the New Google Groups, including the page I had previously posted. Sorry...

C.
a***@gmail.com
yes, i hope so. the new one does not let me embed a word document to send to my list... neither a word document nor a pdf... they need to fix that!!! the new one does NOT offer the same options nr as good
weary flake
2020-10-08 02:16:20 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by laraine
I believe this is a link to get to the Old Google
Groups, which is not directly accessible
anymore.
https://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
Hopefully, it will be around for awhile.
C.
yes, i hope so. the new one does not let me embed a word document to
send to my list... neither a word document nor a pdf... they need to
fix that!!! the new one does NOT offer the same options nr as good
No word document or pdf should be sent to usenet because
those files are binaries. Only *.txt files can be sent
to usenet.
Mr. Mike
2020-10-10 20:33:02 UTC
Post by weary flake
No word document or pdf should be sent to usenet because
those files are binaries. Only *.txt files can be sent
to usenet.
Perhaps not to the Google Groups version of Usenet, but there are
hundreds, if not thousands, of alt.binaries.* newsgroups available
through Usenet providers where these kind of files can be uploaded.

I don't know if you can upload an encoded version of one of these
files to this newsgroup; if you could, I don't think it will show up
at Google Groups.
weary flake
2020-10-11 19:37:25 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
Post by weary flake
No word document or pdf should be sent to usenet because
those files are binaries. Only *.txt files can be sent
to usenet.
Perhaps not to the Google Groups version of Usenet, but there are
hundreds, if not thousands, of alt.binaries.* newsgroups available
through Usenet providers where these kind of files can be uploaded.
I don't know if you can upload an encoded version of one of these
files to this newsgroup; if you could, I don't think it will show up
at Google Groups.
News servers I've heard of refuse to carry binaries in text
groups, regardless of google; google is being good by refusing
to post binaries.

It sounded like the previous poster thought that word and pdf
are text files which they are not. Cut and paste text from
them maybe, but they themselves are binaries.