"The Best Bookshelf Speakers For Next-Level Sound"
2018-11-30 05:16:21 UTC
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g20979739/the-best-bookshelf-speakers/
Andy Evans
2018-11-30 09:27:23 UTC
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g20979739/the-best-bookshelf-speakers/
Since this forum is for hair shirt music lovers I don't see bookshelf speakers as the main option. Maybe for office or kitchen though. Interesting the KEF single unit speakers were best performers - I'd also use a single unit like Mark Audio Alpair 10M.
Bob Harper
2018-11-30 16:04:37 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Mark Audio Alpair 10M.
Looks like a decent driver, but what sort of enclosure?

Bob Harper
MiNe109
2018-11-30 18:10:35 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Post by g***@gmail.com
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g20979739/the-best-bookshelf-speakers/
Since this forum is for hair shirt music lovers I don't see bookshelf
speakers as the main option. Maybe for office or kitchen though.
Interesting the KEF single unit speakers were best performers - I'd
also use a single unit like Mark Audio Alpair 10M.
I don't see DIY as an alternative to hairshirt! Easier to get KEF or
Elac on sale with the engineering baked in if you want concentric drivers.
Tassilo
2018-11-30 22:35:41 UTC
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g20979739/the-best-bookshelf-speakers/
Thank you very much for posting! I end up listening to music through the Audio Engine desktop speakers on my desk more than through anything else in the house. Nor has my enjoyment of "classical" music been diminished in the process.

-david gable
Peter
2018-12-02 05:41:22 UTC
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g20979739/the-best-bookshelf-speakers/
I'm listening to these KEF's as I write this. (Feldman's Triadic Memories, to be exact.) These are the best I could find within my budget; they're paired with a Rega amp and CD player -- very nice DAC on the amp, I might add.

I think I would benefit from a subwoofer, but the clarity of the speakers, including the bass, is very satisfying. What won me over at the audition was playing a recording of the opening movement of Bartok's first p.c., hearing every instrument properly spotlighted, and being able to pull out the piano part so it actually sounded like a concerto.

Beautiful speakers.
Mandryka
2018-12-03 19:13:46 UTC
I recently bought my myself a pair of Rogers JR149s, which use KEF bass drivers. I am absolutely astonished at how good they sound, they somehow seem to get right to the heart of the music. They were a prototype of the monitor speakers that Rogers made for the BBC, and I believe that the ones that the BBC eventually commissioned, and which are so expensive and highly thought of, are a compromise in fact.

I have them in my second system driven by a Sugden amp. But in truth for listening to chamber music or piano or harpsichord or violin or small voice ensembles, I don't think you can do better, and for this type of music I wouldn't mind if they were the only speaker I had. They don't have the bass response of bigger speakers but, in truth, they're so musical that you don't miss it when listening.

They're old, they probably don't need much by way of renovation, but if you did ever need new drivers they're all still available. And that's reassuring.

Anyway I recommend these speakers very much.
graham
2018-12-04 03:03:40 UTC
Post by Mandryka
[...]
I have a pair of ~40yr old Kef Concerto speakers in the basement but the
capacitors in the X-overs have dried out. I'm not sure whether it's
worth getting replacement X-overs from the UK. It would be a shame to
junk them though.
Frank Berger
2018-12-04 03:46:20 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Mandryka
[...]
Years ago I took the crossovers (simple 2-way) from my KLH speakers into
an electronics store and they were able to sell me appropriate
capacitors. Cost practically nothing.
graham
2018-12-04 04:24:40 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Mandryka
[...]
Kits are available from a UK supplier but they seem to be unable to
reply to requests for information. According to my son, who is in the
electronics business, the capacitors are odd values and physical sizes
so replacing them with off-the-shelf ones might make them too large for
the cutouts on the speaker panel.
Bob Harper
2018-12-04 14:53:00 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Mandryka
[...]
Contact Falcon Acoustics (https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/). they
should be able to help.

Bob Harper
Mandryka
Falcon Acoustics will give you good advice.
Frank Berger
They have the Concerto caps!
Bob Harper
2018-12-04 17:58:10 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Bob Harper
Post by graham
Post by Mandryka
[...]
Considering that Malcolm Jones, the former MD of Falcon and now the guru
for the successors, and who was the first employee hired by KEF, is
still involved, that does not surprise me. Malcolm has also overseen the
re-introduction of the LS3/5A BBC monitor with new versions of the B110
and T27, and the company is now producing a new version of the legendary
B139 bass driver. Malcolm, who is a personal acquaintance and a genius
about this stuff, has been the force behind the entire project. And he's
a heck of a nice guy :)

Bob Harper
graham
2018-12-05 06:25:51 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Mandryka
[...]
I have. I called them when I was in the UK and he was very helpful on
the phone but has ignored my e-mails before and since.
frankwm
2018-12-04 23:21:38 UTC
...They were a prototype of the monitor speakers that Rogers made for the BBC, and I believe that the ones that the BBC eventually commissioned, and which are so expensive and highly thought of, are a compromise in fact......
You could've referred to the correct timeline/JR LS3/5a involvement as referenced here:-
http://www.mcmullon.com/icollect/hi_fi/jim_rogers/jr_review.htm#designer

For undemanding material they would be OK (the LS3/5a was invaribly convincingly cohesive) - but the quoted eBay end-prices there are daft: (certainly in comparison to the superbly holographic original QUAD 11L @ typically £100).
The MkII model sounded undynamic/pokey (bought @ the £99 mentioned - JR had liquidated stock onto Sevenoaks HiFi) and my 100W Meridian 105s quickly wrecked them...
Re-incarnating 1960's KEF drive-units seems pretty pointless given the ancient, somewhat colored, designs & the huge numbers originally manufactured:- presumably it mostly addresses 'oriental' demand..
Mandryka
2018-12-05 06:31:02 UTC
I’ll bear in mind what you say about Quad 11 Mk 1, if I can find a good clean pair.
MickeyBoy
2018-12-04 22:18:21 UTC
Yes, Falcon Acoustics is the place to go to.