2020 brought me Dave Hurwitz on Youtube
M&S Frost
2021-01-03 16:50:11 UTC
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.

MIFrost
Alex Brown
2021-01-03 17:36:30 UTC
Post by M&S Frost
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Seconded. DH has been great on Youtube. Although I find I agree/disagree
with him on various repertoire recommendations (which is fun anyway),
what I've found most valuable is his suggestions of new music which I
wouldn't otherwise have listened to.

In fact I've just finished listening to Victor Herbert's Serenade (as
recommended) - lush!
- Alex Brown
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-01-03 21:57:48 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Seconded. DH has been great on Youtube. Although I find I agree/disagree
with him on various repertoire recommendations (which is fun anyway),
what I've found most valuable is his suggestions of new music which I
wouldn't otherwise have listened to.
In fact I've just finished listening to Victor Herbert's Serenade (as
recommended) - lush!
--
- Alex Brown
DH has just tempted me with the Naxos Villa-Lobos symphony box. Decisions, decisions.

2021-01-04 07:13:20 UTC
Post by M&S Frost
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Usually entertaining, often highly informative (e.g., about works
new to me, but also check out things like his introductions to
Haydn symphonies), sometimes wrong-headed (i.e., meaning I disagree)
or infuriating (probably intentionally). I would, however (a favorite
word of his), prefer more samples (as possible) and less singing.
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-01-04 08:12:10 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Usually entertaining, often highly informative (e.g., about works
new to me, but also check out things like his introductions to
Haydn symphonies), sometimes wrong-headed (i.e., meaning I disagree)
or infuriating (probably intentionally). I would, however (a favorite
word of his), prefer more samples (as possible) and less singing.
DH has very fixed opinions, some of which I disagree with, but he knows orchestral stuff, and you normally always come away a little bit more informed.

Ray Hall, Taree
weary flake
2021-01-07 20:49:14 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Al Eisner
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Usually entertaining, often highly informative (e.g., about works
new to me, but also check out things like his introductions to
Haydn symphonies), sometimes wrong-headed (i.e., meaning I disagree)
or infuriating (probably intentionally). I would, however (a favorite
word of his), prefer more samples (as possible) and less singing.
DH has very fixed opinions, some of which I disagree with, but he knows orchestral stuff, and you normally always come away a little bit more informed.
It's easier to read music reviews like Hurwitz in print, rather
than spoken. Since none of it has sound samples, so far as I
know, it offers no advantage to print.

The amount I learn in the amount of time I would take to listen
to all the Hurwitz video reviews is spent much more productively
in reading the American Record Guide and BBC Music magazines,
which I tear out the interesting pages and circle the items for
further research and sound samples. I could go through many
issues, and have a tall stack of mentions and reviews in the
time it takes to listen to speaking videos.

My opinion, print is better than speech for music reviews.
M&S Frost
2021-01-08 12:42:26 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
I agree with much of what you say but Dave is so enthusiastic and speaks so colorfully that it's very entertaining, as well as informative, to watch him. I enjoy his videos immensely.

MIFrost
Herman
Time would be much better spent just listening to some music, rather than watching a man laugh at his own stale jokes. Esp. the way he tries to poke fun of the odd fact that the German language exists and is a thing in classical music is saddening.
Bob Harper
2021-01-08 17:11:23 UTC
On 1/8/21 8:43 AM, Herman wrote:
(snip)
Post by Herman
Time would be much better spent just listening to some music, rather than watching a man laugh at his own stale jokes. Esp. the way he tries to poke fun of the odd fact that the German language exists and is a thing in classical music is saddening.
A question, Herman: Is dyspepsia your natural state, or do you turn it
on and off at will?

2021-01-08 17:14:24 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Al Eisner
[...]
If you had just said, "I would rather spend my time...."
then your post would not have been so arrogant, annoying and
insulting. Maybe you should have said it in German.
Reinhold Gliere
Leonard Bernstein could have said it all in English or German, but didn't. Still I'd rather spend my time listening to any of LB's explanations (in English). Truth be told I find DH somewhat repulsive.
Frank Berger

Todd Michel McComb
2021-01-08 18:37:46 UTC
Post by weary flake
It's easier to read music reviews like Hurwitz in print, rather
than spoken.
No comment on Hurwitz per se -- although the people rushing to some
sort of reflexive defense certainly raises an eyebrow, given their
usual reflexes -- but I want to agree strongly with this point in
general.

I really dislike this trend to put everything into a video. As if
we were all wishing the entire world turned into television....

As I've quipped a number of times over many years: If you can't
be bothered to write up your ideas, I can't be bothered to care
what you have to say. (I mean, depending on topic, I suppose. I
never expected this of my children! :-) )

Worst offenders in my day-to-day life today: Recipes! "How much
X should I put in?" "Here's a video!" Jesus Christ.
Bob Harper
2021-01-08 23:10:07 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by weary flake
It's easier to read music reviews like Hurwitz in print, rather
than spoken.
No comment on Hurwitz per se -- although the people rushing to some
sort of reflexive defense certainly raises an eyebrow, given their
usual reflexes -- but I want to agree strongly with this point in
general.
I really dislike this trend to put everything into a video. As if
we were all wishing the entire world turned into television....
As I've quipped a number of times over many years: If you can't
be bothered to write up your ideas, I can't be bothered to care
what you have to say. (I mean, depending on topic, I suppose. I
never expected this of my children! :-) )
Worst offenders in my day-to-day life today: Recipes! "How much
X should I put in?" "Here's a video!" Jesus Christ.
Re recipes, what I despise the 'story form' (generally with photos)
detailing every step of the way; fortunately most sites now have a 'skip
to the recipe' button, which I invariably use.

Bob Harper
furrybear57
I don't understand why Dave is not interested in opera, which, IMHO, is 50% of the classical music world. He knows his orchestral works that's for sure.
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-01-09 05:57:47 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
A very bright spot in the year. Thank you Dave.
MIFrost
Usually entertaining, often highly informative (e.g., about works
new to me, but also check out things like his introductions to
Haydn symphonies), sometimes wrong-headed (i.e., meaning I disagree)
or infuriating (probably intentionally). I would, however (a favorite
word of his), prefer more samples (as possible) and less singing.
I don't understand why Dave is not interested in opera, which, IMHO, is 50% of the classical music world. He knows his orchestral works that's for sure.
There are many that don't put opera high on their list, above symphonic, or chamber music, or whatever. It just is.

For me, opera does not provide a tight organic flow of abstract musical logic, that much orchestral can provide more confidently and more consistently. How about that for a reason? Which is not to say there are not operas that I do actually enjoy.