Michael Sanderling does Shostakovich Symphonies Complete
Add Reply
Mr. Mike
2019-10-07 17:22:23 UTC
This was released on Sony a few months ago, according to amazon.com.
Are there any reviews of it yet (other than at Amazon)? I tracked down
one via Google, but the reviewer is fawning over all of the
performances. Has it been reviewed in Gramophone yet (doesn't look
like it) or ARG?
Not a Dentist
Haven't heard a note yet, but just discovered the COMPLETE set IS available on Amazon Music. Search for Shostakovich Symphonies and browse the list of albums; eventually it pops up, but a search for Michael Sanderling is no good. There are some ten volumes, each of one or more symphonies.
Frank Berger
If you search "Michael Sanderling Shostakovich" the box of 15 pops up first.
Not a Dentist
Google search for "Michael Sanderling Shostakovich Review" brings up several, including MusicWeb and Gramophone, which cover various earlier releases combining items from Sanderling's complete cycles of Beethoven and Shostakovich, matching the two Fifths, the two Firsts, the Ninth and Thirteenth, plus the Third and the Tenth. Not raves by any means... nothing yet on the complete 15 I could find.
Ricardo Jimenez
2019-10-08 14:58:33 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 20:16:02 -0700 (PDT), Not a Dentist
Post by Not a Dentist
Post by Mr. Mike
This was released on Sony a few months ago, according to amazon.com.
Are there any reviews of it yet (other than at Amazon)? I tracked down
one via Google, but the reviewer is fawning over all of the
performances. Has it been reviewed in Gramophone yet (doesn't look
like it) or ARG?
Google search for "Michael Sanderling Shostakovich Review" brings up several, including MusicWeb and Gramophone, which cover various earlier releases combining items from Sanderling's complete cycles of Beethoven and Shostakovich, matching the two Fifths, the two Firsts, the Ninth and Thirteenth, plus the Third and the Tenth. Not raves by any means... nothing yet on the complete 15 I could find.
Spotify has plentry of Shostakovich by both Michael and Kurt
Sanderling. The only symphony that seems to be missing is #12.
Todd Schurk
2019-10-08 22:11:14 UTC
I have it, and it's superb. Definitely in the top handful of the best complete cycles. Here's the MusicWeb review...http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Aug/Shostakovich_sys_19075872462.htm