SCHILLER...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2022-01-08 17:30:53 UTC
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?...I ask the Question ?...
For Me : *Karajan 1947* (Wiener
Phiharmonoker/Schwartzkopf/Höngen/Patzak/Hotter)...
Andy Evans
2022-01-08 17:34:23 UTC
None - can't abide the work. I love Beethoven nevertheless but mostly for his piano and chamber music.
Lewis Perin
2022-01-10 01:27:55 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?
None - can't abide the work. I love Beethoven nevertheless but mostly
for his piano and chamber music.
Just curious: can you abide the first three movements? I sure can! I
kind of regard the Ninth as Beethoven’s Unfinished.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / ***@acm.org
https://babelcarp.org
raymond....@gmail.com
2022-01-10 02:13:57 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?
None - can't abide the work. I love Beethoven nevertheless but mostly
for his piano and chamber music.
Just curious: can you abide the first three movements? I sure can! I
kind of regard the Ninth as Beethoven’s Unfinished.
/Lew
The first 3 movements are individually superb. Shame that neither cohere for me, and I dislike the final movement, which I regard as an expression of sheer operatic pomposity.

Like some others I mostly admire Beethoven for his sublime string quartets, piano trios, and his smaller piano works, bagatelles, rondos.

Also the moment any piano is pounded is the moment I turn off, which is why I have no time for the sonatas.

Ray Hall, Taree
Dan Koren
2022-01-10 08:45:03 UTC
Also the moment any piano is pounded is
the moment I turn off, which is why I have
no time for the sonatas.
Try these:

No pounding whatsoever, not even in
the sonatas that typically receive such
treatments from other pianists.

dk
Dan Koren
2022-01-10 10:02:56 UTC
http://youtu.be/h3xTaoAyf_A
No pounding whatsoever, not even in
the sonatas that typically receive such
treatments from other pianists.
Listening right now to op. 81a.
What a marvel!

dk
Dan Koren
2022-01-08 19:32:36 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?...I ask the Question ?...
For Me : *Karajan 1947* (Wiener
Phiharmonoker/Schwartzkopf/Höngen/Patzak/Hotter)...
None. The 9th is political trash. If you
don't understand why, listen to this:

2022-01-09 04:15:58 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?...I ask the Question ?...
For Me : *Karajan 1947* (Wiener
Phiharmonoker/Schwartzkopf/Höngen/Patzak/Hotter)...
None. The 9th is political trash. If you
http://youtu.be/sEGRsE1Fubw
dk
Here's a volume you won't want to be without:

Beethoven in China -- how the great composer became an icon in the People's Republic --
by Jindong Cai and Sheila Melvin (Penguin)
gggg gggg

Repertoire: The BEST Beethoven 9ths--I Promise
number_six
2022-01-12 22:07:01 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?...I ask the Question ?...
For Me : *Karajan 1947* (Wiener
Phiharmonoker/Schwartzkopf/Höngen/Patzak/Hotter)...
For me, probably Harnoncourt...

Last movement isn't LvB's best music, BUT it forms a pretty reliable demarcation between the doomsayers and the daisy-brigaders.
Graham
2022-01-12 22:23:45 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, O friends of RMCR...
to which recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony do you *ALWAYS* come
back ?...I ask the Question ?...
For Me : *Karajan 1947* (Wiener
Phiharmonoker/Schwartzkopf/Höngen/Patzak/Hotter)...
For me, probably Harnoncourt...
Last movement isn't LvB's best music, BUT it forms a pretty reliable demarcation between the doomsayers and the daisy-brigaders.
I find the last movement a real let-down after what's gone before.
As for favourite version: Stokowski/LSO 1967.