Simon Barere Videos?
s***@sbcglobal.net
2003-08-05 17:08:37 UTC
Were any of his recitals filmed? I'd love to see him in action,
especially playing "Islamey"! I checked Parnassus Classical...no luck.
Incidentally, I just received a Geroges Cziffra video from Parnassus,
"Live at the BBC"---WOW! Incredible octaves. The only disappointing
performance is a curiously bland Chopin "Heroic Polanaise." They are a
great source of historic videos.
John
Peter Lemken
2003-08-11 16:52:06 UTC
Post by s***@sbcglobal.net
Were any of his recitals filmed? I'd love to see him in action,
especially playing "Islamey"! I checked Parnassus Classical...no luck.
Incidentally, I just received a Geroges Cziffra video from Parnassus,
"Live at the BBC"---WOW! Incredible octaves. The only disappointing
performance is a curiously bland Chopin "Heroic Polanaise." They are a
great source of historic videos.
Write a letter to the International Piano Archives and enquire with them,
they should at least know whether any video exists.

While you are at it, please ask them about a Rachmaninoff video as well.

Peter Lemken
Berlin
--
"dass wir keine sklavenarbeit mehr haben zeigt doch, dass der
Marktwirtschaft ueberhaupt kein raum zu ihrer entfaltung gelassen
-- frank paulsen in d.a.t.u
ajb723
2003-08-11 21:14:51 UTC
Post by Peter Lemken
Post by s***@sbcglobal.net
Were any of his recitals filmed? I'd love to see him in action,
especially playing "Islamey"! I checked Parnassus Classical...no luck.
Incidentally, I just received a Geroges Cziffra video from Parnassus,
"Live at the BBC"---WOW! Incredible octaves. The only disappointing
performance is a curiously bland Chopin "Heroic Polanaise." They are a
great source of historic videos.
Write a letter to the International Piano Archives and enquire with them,
they should at least know whether any video exists.
While you are at it, please ask them about a Rachmaninoff video as well.
Peter Lemken
Berlin
I don't know about Barere, but I have heard that there are no known videos
of Rachmaninoff playing. There are video clips of him just walking about but
there is not even any audio as far as I know,
Alan
Samir Golescu
2003-08-12 18:57:44 UTC
And I still remember reading one sentence from the RCA-Centenary edition
that went something like that: "A sound film from the Lucerne recital may
even have survived".
So, where is it?
In the same place where Rachmaninoff's mythical [audio] Lucerne Beethoven
Cto no 1 is -- nobody has ever seen it.

regards,
SG
joenospam@salerno.com
2003-08-16 16:24:28 UTC
I don't remember reading that! Wish such an article did exist but I doubt
it. There has been speculation that the Lucerne broadcast of the Paganini
Rhapsody/Beethoven Concerto #1 performance with Ansermet may have been
broadcast, but the evidence indicates not. No known copies have ever turned
up.
--
Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
-- frank paulsen in d.a.t.u
Peter Lemken
2003-08-16 20:46:52 UTC
Post by ***@salerno.com
I don't remember reading that! Wish such an article did exist but I doubt
it. There has been speculation that the Lucerne broadcast of the Paganini
Rhapsody/Beethoven Concerto #1 performance with Ansermet may have been
broadcast, but the evidence indicates not. No known copies have ever turned
up.
I just pulled it from the shelves:

"The search for rumored Rachmaninoff recordings to be considered for this
set has been carried on for man years, and several tantalizing facts have
added hope to a nearly hopeless quest: We are not certain that his
performance at the 1939 Lucerne festival was not broadcast; a soundfilm made
of a Rachmaninoff recital may survive; in the early thirties a magazine
article reported that Kreisler and Rachmaninoff had just recorded a Medtner
Nocturne, and there are reports of the pair having recorded "somewhere"
a Delius Legende."

Sad.

Peter Lemken
Berlin
-- frank paulsen in d.a.t.u
joenospam@salerno.com
2003-08-21 15:00:07 UTC
You are correct, it was the B-Flat, which I realized after hitting send.
--
Joe Salerno
Video Works! Is it working for you?
PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405
http://joe.salerno.com
caused the following letters to be typed in news:sAU%a.6957$7z1.5707
Tantalizing, yes.
Photos of the Lucerne performance show no mics on the stage. Another
performance, just a few weeks later, show mics on the stage. This was
the Horowitz/Toscanini Brahms d minor, recently turned up and released
on APR.
Not quite. That Appian release contains the 29 August 1939 performance of
the Brahms *B-Flat Major* Piano Concerto, as well as an NBC Symphony
broadcast of the same work from 23 October 1948, and one of the D Minor
from 17 March 1935, with the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York.
What I wouldn't give for a recording of SVR live in concert.
You're not alone.
War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!
James Lockhead

Berlin
John Oster
2003-08-12 01:28:06 UTC
http://www.parnassusrecords.com/index.htm
Matthew B. Tepper (posts from uswest.net are forged)
2003-08-12 16:16:52 UTC
James Lockhead

Berlin
John Oster
2003-08-12 01:30:48 UTC
After watching his BBC recital again, I tend to agree! Barere was fast, but
rather lackluster at times. I love the way Cziffra seemed to be creating on
the spot...one doesn't see a lot of that these days.