OT: Poll on popular tv show "The Sopranos" and NBA
A. Brain
2007-06-08 12:54:22 UTC
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".

I think most of us here liked "Seinfeld" as a
comedy series--who wouldn't? And many of
us have "Wodehouse Playhouse" and "Monty
Python" on DVD, I would guess. I bet there
are some "I, Claudius" fans here.

I watched several episodes of "The
Sopranos" a couple of years ago. I hated
it. There was not a single attractive character

And it's the first tv show I had ever seen
that seemed to have regular depictions of
both flatulence and defecation.

I don't get it. I guess I am thankful that
my friend who tried to get me interested
is not hanging around too much now. If
she were, we'd be wasting time watching
the NBA playoffs or whatever--I don't even
know who's playing.

Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Thornhill
2007-06-08 13:15:10 UTC
Post by A. Brain
[...]
I would agree that it is the greatest "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time." I cannot think of any film or novel that
so effectively and expertly deconstructs American consumer culture,
American materialism, conflict resolution, religion, as well as many
other topics. The characters are supposed to be unlikable since
they're all materialistic sociopaths. And the show often comments on
its own viewers who only watch it for the violence.

Slate has written many good articles about the show, and The New
Yorker has a good and brief retrospective:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2007/06/04/070604taco_talk_remnick
Simon Roberts
2007-06-08 13:17:56 UTC
In article <2kcai.66294$***@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, A. Brain
says...
Post by A. Brain
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".
And it's the first tv show I had ever seen
that seemed to have regular depictions of
both flatulence and defecation.
But it doesn't.
Post by A. Brain
I don't get it.
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.

I guess I am thankful that
Post by A. Brain
my friend who tried to get me interested
is not hanging around too much now. If
she were, we'd be wasting time watching
the NBA playoffs or whatever--I don't even
know who's playing.
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I don't give a flying whatever for the NBA. As for The Sopranos, easily one of
my favorite shows; I will miss it.

Simon
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-08 13:40:48 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
my friend who tried to get me interested
is not hanging around too much now. If
she were, we'd be wasting time watching
the NBA playoffs or whatever--I don't even
know who's playing.
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I don't give a flying whatever for the NBA. As for The Sopranos, easily one of
my favorite shows; I will miss it.
Simon
Well, I'm a former gym rat who still loves the game, though my guess
is that this year's finals won't have much drama. As for The Sopranos,
despite some up and down seasons it's up there with the best. This
season has been tremendous. I can't think of too many shows with more
layered, subtle writing and direction. But I think it's another HBO
show, The Wire, that is the best drama I've ever seen--a detailed,
heartbreaking examination of urban life and the interaction among
criminals, the police and politicians in Baltimore.
j***@yahoo.com
2007-06-08 14:24:59 UTC
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
[...]
criminals, the police and politicians in Baltimore.- Hide quoted text -
I don't watch very much television. -Not that I'm against it because I
sure waste plenty of time with music, but there's just other things I
rather be doing like reading, net-surfing, family, etc. I've peeked at
the Sopranos a few times and I found it midly interesting, but if I'm
in front of the tube it's usually artsy DVD's or non-fiction
television like the history channel, travel channel, etc. As for the
NBA, I haven't followed it since MJ retired.
graham
2007-06-08 15:33:41 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
Graham
Michael Lehrman
2007-06-08 16:07:32 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
graham
2007-06-08 18:13:46 UTC
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
And he was its star (doing routines in the earlier episodes) with zilch
acting ability!
Graham
Paul Ilechko
Why would he need acting ability to play himself ?
Frank Berger
I thought he did a perfectly fine job playing himself!
Norman M. Schwartz
2007-06-09 15:07:32 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
And he was its star (doing routines in the earlier episodes) with zilch
acting ability!
I guess you don't know what you are talking about. I received the set of the
"Season _8_ DVDs" the other day and the routines are present in all these
"late" episodes. I love the shows because the're a great treatment for my
insomnia, better than any prescription or OTC med I've taken during the last
50 years. Instead of being addicted to narcotics I'm a Seinfeld addict.
Graham
TareeDawg
2007-06-10 00:28:13 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by graham
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
And he was its star (doing routines in the earlier episodes) with zilch
acting ability!
I guess you don't know what you are talking about. I received the set of the
"Season _8_ DVDs" the other day and the routines are present in all these
"late" episodes. I love the shows because the're a great treatment for my
insomnia, better than any prescription or OTC med I've taken during the last
50 years. Instead of being addicted to narcotics I'm a Seinfeld addict.
Never ever did get into Seinfeld. Probably too sophisticated for moi.
Anyway, one addiction I have picked up is SUDOKU. It does save me from
watching a lot of junk on the TV though, and exercises the noddle,
allowing time for music as well, although I also think that limiting the
amount of music one listens to, freshens one's appreciation of it.

But somehow, the mere exercise of logic, and filling in heaps of numbers
into a 9X9 grid, does seem rather pointless, but then one could
reasonably argue the same about most pursuits, one presumes.

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
Norman M. Schwartz
2007-06-09 16:15:49 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
And he was its star (doing routines in the earlier episodes) with zilch
acting ability!
I apologize and take back what I hastily posted earlier. Yor are indeed
correct. In the (Season 1, Disc 1, Epsiodes 1-5) "The Seinfeld Chronicles
(Pilot)" Episode 1, there is a prolonged unfunny routine of Jerry's which I
find rather nauseating. I don't beleive anything of this kind is repeated in
any other episode. OTOH I might very well be wrong again, since their
purpose is to put me to sleep. :-)
Graham
graham
2007-06-09 18:03:33 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by graham
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by graham
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
It is a show.
ML
And he was its star (doing routines in the earlier episodes) with zilch
acting ability!
I apologize and take back what I hastily posted earlier.
No need!
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Yor are indeed correct. In the (Season 1, Disc 1, Epsiodes 1-5) "The
Seinfeld Chronicles (Pilot)" Episode 1, there is a prolonged unfunny
routine of Jerry's which I find rather nauseating. I don't beleive anything
of this kind is repeated in any other episode. OTOH I might very well be
wrong again, since their purpose is to put me to sleep. :-)
ISTR that many more of those early episodes had those, to me, unfunny
routines.
Graham
Norman M. Schwartz
2007-06-09 14:55:50 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
The OP likes Seinfeld. Surely the most overated comedian ever!
Are you referring to the _show_ or the comedian or both.? In case you hadn't
noticed the show doesn't have anything to do with the "comedeian".

I only have "basic" cable, (no HBO). I get a burned Soprano DVD once in a
while, and can "take it or leave it", don't care for the plots, but very
much enjoy the acting.
Graham
fha.jonkers
2007-06-08 16:27:05 UTC
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Well, I'm a former gym rat who still loves the game, though my guess
is that this year's finals won't have much drama. As for The Sopranos,
despite some up and down seasons it's up there with the best. This
season has been tremendous. I can't think of too many shows with more
layered, subtle writing and direction. But I think it's another HBO
show, The Wire, that is the best drama I've ever seen--a detailed,
heartbreaking examination of urban life and the interaction among
criminals, the police and politicians in Baltimore.
I was going to say the same - The Sopranos is one of my favorite
series, I watched most episodes multiple times and can't wait to see
the finale go down, but for me nothing tops The Wire as far as great
television goes. There's no series in which I connect more closely to
the characters, even though I've never even been close to the sort of
neighborhood the show depicts. Whereas The Sopranos sometimes seems a
little self-consciously aware of its criticisms of modern society, The
Wire achieves the same and more in an almost scarily realistic way.

NBA I don't care for but that's a common European problem; soccer on
the other hand..
francis
2007-06-08 20:37:48 UTC
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
[...]
One major movie critic--David Denby of the New Yorker-- made the
complete 4th Season of The Wire the TOP of his top 10 MOVIE list for
2006, I agree, it's that good--far and away the finest writing--and
acting--for television--ever. One caution--I can't imagine dropping
into the series and grasping half of what is going on. You just can't
"needle drop"--which you can do with the Sopranos, Also, if you do
start from the beginning of season one, give it 3 or four fours,
before you give up. No one to whom I've recommended The Wire, who
hung in to the third episode, wasn't hooked.
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-08 21:57:11 UTC
Post by francis
One major movie critic--David Denby of the New Yorker-- made the
complete 4th Season of The Wire the TOP of his top 10 MOVIE list for
2006, I agree, it's that good--far and away the finest writing--and
acting--for television--ever. One caution--I can't imagine dropping
into the series and grasping half of what is going on. You just can't
"needle drop"--which you can do with the Sopranos, Also, if you do
start from the beginning of season one, give it 3 or four fours,
before you give up. No one to whom I've recommended The Wire, who
hung in to the third episode, wasn't hooked.
I've had the same experience--the ultimate DVD show. Viewers almost
need to be taught how to watch it because of its "novelistic" approach
to narrative.
Frank Berger
2007-06-08 15:21:12 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
my friend who tried to get me interested
is not hanging around too much now. If
she were, we'd be wasting time watching
the NBA playoffs or whatever--I don't even
know who's playing.
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I don't give a flying whatever for the NBA. As for The Sopranos, easily one of
my favorite shows; I will miss it.
Simon
Two of my favorite shows of all time are concluding this year: "Sopranos"
and "Gilmore Girls." The common thread should be obvious. Hint: I don't
care for "Law and Order."
2007-06-08 15:21:25 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
my friend who tried to get me interested
is not hanging around too much now. If
she were, we'd be wasting time watching
the NBA playoffs or whatever--I don't even
know who's playing.
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I don't give a flying whatever for the NBA. As for The Sopranos, easily one of
my favorite shows; I will miss it.
I just started watching The Sopranos, aided by a Netflix subscription
that will send me the complete disks for the series (except the current
one - so don't spoil the outcome! :-) ). Both my wife and I are hooked
on the series. It also reminds me of the TV series "Rescue Me" (there
are a lot of similarities), although Rescue Me is darker and edgier.
I've just started year 5, so I have 2 years more to go.

My favorite line when Tony found out about a mentally challenged uncle
he never knew about, and Tony says to (his other uncle) Junior "I heard
them talking about an uncle who was not quite all there, but I thought
they were talking about you."

I find the Sopranos to be extremely well written and produced, clearly
one of the top shows made.

As for the NBA, I haven't followed the NBA since Larry Bird hung up his
sneakers. The loss of Johnny Most along with their poor play means
there's little reason to follow the Celtics anymore.

-Owen
Philip Peters
2007-06-09 01:37:26 UTC
Highly recommended for Soprano lovers:

Philip
Philip Peters
2007-06-09 12:49:53 UTC
Post by Philip Peters
http://youtu.be/Tz_Ees_-kE4
Philip
That should of course be:

http://youtu.be/Tz_Ees_-kE4

P.
A. Brain
2007-06-12 10:48:40 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
I don't get it.
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
Well, I do have trouble with comedy, but is
this highly regarded series supposed to be
funny? "Six Feet Under" was a great mix
of serious drama and comedy.

I don't think I even saw these episodes where
flatulence and defecation were depicted:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/29k7nl

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gabhq
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Simon Roberts
2007-06-12 19:10:30 UTC
In article <cSubi.147386$***@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, A.
Brain says...
Post by A. Brain
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
I don't get it.
Perhaps you don't have the right sense of humour.
Well, I do have trouble with comedy, but is
this highly regarded series supposed to be
funny?
It's not likely to be as relentlessly funny as it is purely by accident. If you
miss the humour in it, you're missing an awful lot of its appeal.

"Six Feet Under" was a great mix
Post by A. Brain
of serious drama and comedy.
I agree. Rather different sense of humour involved, though.

Simon
Paul Ilechko
Never watched it.
b***@comcast.net
2007-06-08 15:06:34 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by A. Brain
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".
Never watched it.
Nor have I, except for brief clips which didn't give me encouragement
to watch more. As for the NBA, while I'm not a big fan, I do find
myself astonished that human bodies can do the things they do. I'm
hoping the Spurs win; Tim Duncan strikes me as a class act.

Bob Harper
Paul Ilechko
2007-06-08 15:21:41 UTC
Post by b***@comcast.net
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by A. Brain
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".
Never watched it.
Nor have I, except for brief clips which didn't give me encouragement
to watch more. As for the NBA, while I'm not a big fan, I do find
myself astonished that human bodies can do the things they do. I'm
hoping the Spurs win; Tim Duncan strikes me as a class act.
Duncan, sure; but the Spurs also have the decidedly unclassy Bruce
Bowen, who really should be playing Ice Hockey. I'd like to see the Cavs
win, stir things up a bit. But I watch very little TV, I don't find the
time. I will try and watch the finals from Roland Garros this weekend.
Gerard
2007-06-08 14:06:34 UTC
What is 'NBA'?
Don Phillipson
2007-06-08 17:32:40 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
What is 'NBA'?
NBA = the National Basketball Association,
here shorthand for "professional sport on TV."
The question is addressed to people who
watch "television" as distinct from those that
watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or
Coronation Street etc.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Gerard
Thanks for your explanation.
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-06-08 21:18:15 UTC
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as distinct from
those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation Street
etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "My
Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
Steve de Mena
2007-06-08 23:21:07 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as distinct from
those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation Street
etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "My
Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
I watch the first two, though I felt "My Name is
Earl" was a little disappointing this season.

Steve
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-06-08 23:31:09 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as distinct
from those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation
Street etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine,"
"My Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
I watch the first two, though I felt "My Name is Earl" was a little
disappointing this season.
As do I; too much of Joy, the most annoying character, and not enough of
Catalina, potentially the most interesting. There were a couple of occasions
in which Randy broke away from Earl and even opposed him, which was kind of
enjoyable. Nice use of Marlee Matlin in the season finale, too.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
2007-06-08 23:33:22 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as distinct from
those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation Street
etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "My
Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
I watch the first two, though I felt "My Name is
Earl" was a little disappointing this season.
"The Office" often has moments of brilliant hilarity. Though sometimes
they just go a little too over the top.

-Owen

P.S. The rule on going over the top is that not every character can do
it. There has to be a "straight man" to react to it to make it funny.

-O
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-06-09 00:54:35 UTC
Post by O
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as distinct
from those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation
Street etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine,"
"My Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
I watch the first two, though I felt "My Name is Earl" was a little
disappointing this season.
"The Office" often has moments of brilliant hilarity. Though sometimes
they just go a little too over the top.
P.S. The rule on going over the top is that not every character can do
it. There has to be a "straight man" to react to it to make it funny.
On such did Jack Benny, Bob Newhart, and possibly others build their careers.

It is possible to do it with everybody going over the top, but it has to be
farce and the gags have to be nonstop. "Hellzapoppin'," for example.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
Allen
2007-06-09 14:44:27 UTC
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
<snip>
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
It is possible to do it with everybody going over the top, but it has to be
farce and the gags have to be nonstop. "Hellzapoppin'," for example.
Hellzapoppin? Matthew, you must be older than I thought. Or is it still
in rerun somewhere in the solar system? You're right, though; it was one
of the few shows that could make wall-to-wall over the top work. And The
Daily Show should be required viewing for all elected officials.
Allen
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-06-09 14:53:41 UTC
Post by Allen
<snip>
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
It is possible to do it with everybody going over the top, but it has to
be farce and the gags have to be nonstop. "Hellzapoppin'," for example.
Hellzapoppin? Matthew, you must be older than I thought. Or is it still
in rerun somewhere in the solar system? You're right, though; it was one
of the few shows that could make wall-to-wall over the top work. And The
Daily Show should be required viewing for all elected officials.
The movie of "Hellzapoppin'" predates my birth by a dozen years. However,
prints exist which are about as "official" as that Toscanini Bruckner.

Also, you can find it (in pieces) on YouTube.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
A. Brain
2007-06-10 18:26:50 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The question is addressed to people who watch "television" as
distinct from
those that watch The Sopranos or Monty Python reruns or Coronation Street
etc.
What about those of us who watch "The New Adventures of Old
Christine," "My
Name is Earl," and "The Daily Show"?
Well, I can't handle the current sitcoms, but "Daily
Show" is about the only place where the press,
in the form of Jon Stewart and co., really ask
the difficult questions and track down clips that
demonstrate the duplicity and deception of the
Bush administration.

That's right: Stewart's political research team
seems to be better than that of CNN and at
least as good as that of MSNBC. Forget
"Fox Noise".

Stewart's latest observation about the GOP
candidates' opposition to the "don't ask,
don't tell" policy that excludes openly
gay people from the military (and that
resulted in the dismissal of dozens of
translators): "Apparently to these guys,
the only thing worse than another terrorist
attack would be a gay hero helping to stop
it".
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
TareeDawg
2007-06-09 04:08:32 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
What is 'NBA'?
The ridiculous and utterly boring game where some 7'7" freak jams a
basketball into a hoop.

Tiddly-winks is more exciting, and possibly more dangerous.

As for "The Sopranos", then I never ever got "into" it, and never will.
A total mish-mash imho, and I'd rather watch Reservoir Dogs over and
over. Another absolute pest of a program is "South Park", which I refuse
to watch on the principle that nobody is going to cheapskate my time
with almost zero animation, notwithstanding its so-called commentary.
Can ANYONE here explain South Park to me. Waste of a channel imo.

Absolutely Fab, Malcom in the Middle, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier,
Hyacinth and Onslow ("Nice"), even though long gone, are still my idea
of good entertainment (even the repeats).

And anyone who is anyone, KNOWS that soccer, baseball, snooker are the
only sports that matter. Even cricket has lost its once great lustre to
me, and tennis is just one gigantic bore sans McEnroe.

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
Allen
2007-06-09 14:50:11 UTC
Post by TareeDawg
Post by Gerard
Post by A. Brain
[...]
You like cricket and baseball and you call basketball boring? I'm not a
big fan of basketball, but I would rather watch mold grow than watch a
cricket match. At least, basketball is almost continuous motion--similar
to soccer in that regard, but as the court is much smaller than the
field all ten players are in motion almost all the time. It requires
tremendous stamina.
Allen
aleksios
2007-06-09 15:41:26 UTC
Post by Allen
You like cricket and baseball and you call basketball boring?
I'm not a big fan of basketball, but I would rather watch mold
grow than watch a cricket match. [...]
Cricket?! Basketball?!! Soccer?!!!

You pitiful old fogeys! You really got no clue!

The only game for real, hair-chested, red-blooded, meat-eating he-
males is curling. Dixi.

--Alex (the carnivorous philistine)
Simon Roberts
2007-06-09 18:02:52 UTC
Post by Allen
You like cricket and baseball and you call basketball boring? I'm not a
big fan of basketball, but I would rather watch mold grow than watch a
cricket match.
Mold-growing is too fast for cricket fans.

Simon
graham
2007-06-09 19:07:41 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by Allen
You like cricket and baseball and you call basketball boring? I'm not a
big fan of basketball, but I would rather watch mold grow than watch a
cricket match.
Mold-growing is too fast for cricket fans.
And for fans of American (& Canadian) football!!
Graham
TareeDawg
2007-06-10 01:40:31 UTC
Post by Allen
Post by TareeDawg
Post by Gerard
Post by A. Brain
[...]
Actually I like baseball quite a lot, and have lost some interest in
cricket, which has lost its purity. Baseball is a bit like listening to
Bruckner, and has a destination (guaranteed result), and for lovers of
the game there is always something going on, with the statistics
building up relentlessly, and everything centred around the pitcher in
effect. Not a dull moment. Mind you, there are those who dislike
Bruckner too. Even Celi Bruckner.
<g>

Soccer is the WORLD game really (has it all), but with basketball, I
find it too monotonous by half. Up one end, down the other, up the
other, down the other, and then some tall freak has the audacity to
PUSH/RAM the ball into a hoop. Where did the skill factor disappear to?
Moreover, soccer has its truly orgasmic moments (called goals),
baseball has its real tension, but when one is confronted by a constant
barrage of point scoring, as in basketball, it all seems a bit
'pointless' really, when one team wins 111-110, and by a team that
consists of physical freaks. Questions arise, such as where DID the one
point that counted occur? There was no orgasmic moment as there is in
soccer. That one point was just one of 111 points. So. Big deal.

Reminds me of the old joke, and we are all getting old, (having just
been told I have a cataract in one eye, fortunately not my dominant eye,
important in snooker), which goes like this:

"It is true, very true, that a life of brown bread, no alcohol, no
caffeine, no condiments, no dairy, no meat, no cake, and no fun, will
help you live longer. But you don't get the extra years when you're in
your mid 20s shagging like a stag. You get them at the end, when you're
rotting in an old folks home eating your blended Sunday roast through a
straw, forgetting who your family is, and cr*pping into a bag tied to
your leg."

In my next parallel life, I am going to pledge to my creator, "please
can I have my extra 5 years when I am 33".
<g>

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
m***@comcast.net
2007-06-10 02:20:44 UTC
Post by TareeDawg
Soccer is the WORLD game really (has it all), but with basketball, I
find it too monotonous by half. Up one end, down the other, up the
other, down the other, and then some tall freak has the audacity to
PUSH/RAM the ball into a hoop. Where did the skill factor disappear to?
Moreover, soccer has its truly orgasmic moments (called goals),
baseball has its real tension, but when one is confronted by a constant
barrage of point scoring, as in basketball, it all seems a bit
'pointless' really, when one team wins 111-110, and by a team that
consists of physical freaks. Questions arise, such as where DID the one
point that counted occur? There was no orgasmic moment as there is in
soccer. That one point was just one of 111 points. So. Big deal.
I recommend watching some old footage of Magic Johnson, Larry Bird,
and Michael Jordan,
and the finer points of basketball that you are utterly missing may
become clear.

Marc Perman
TareeDawg
2007-06-10 23:31:00 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
Post by TareeDawg
[...]
Fortunately, I can recall many Larry Bird games on TV, and at one time
thought Boston Celtic were the only basketball team. The skill factor
was higher then in the game, and with constant reminders of the game's
pleasures via the Harlem Globetrotters, it seemed far and away better,
skillwise, and for watchability, than the present game, dominated as it
is by the brute force and the sheer physicality of the top freaks.

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
gereco
2007-06-10 23:48:21 UTC
Post by TareeDawg
Post by m***@comcast.net
Post by TareeDawg
[...]
I agree with the fantastic skill and dominance of Larry Bird in the
80s (my niece has hundreds of personally-recorded games and highlited
feats), but have you not heard of nor seen Michal Jordan, Kobe Bryant,
Vince Carter, or the current "wonder kid, 21-year-old LaBron James
(multi-multi-millionaire contract, signing bonus of several million
plas a Hummer) of the Cleveland Cavaliers? For the record, I HATE NBA
now, but my niece, who still loves it, keeps me current.

Gc
TareeDawg
2007-06-11 11:35:55 UTC
Post by gereco
Post by TareeDawg
Post by m***@comcast.net
Post by TareeDawg
[...]
Well, we are well agreed about Larry Bird. But soon after his departure,
I basically stopped watching NBA. In addition there are only so many
hours in a day, and soccer and baseball are basically the only sports I
avidly watch now. Time restraints dictate, and I would rather be engaged
in other pursuits, such as getting in my allowance of music, and believe
me, I have collected so much in the past 5 years, most of the stuff I
have bought I have only listened to once, or twice at the very most, or
not at all.

I have even stopped looking at the news on TV. I get quicker updates
with what is happening in the world as soon as I load my homepage on the
PC, or visit any newspaper website of my choice.

PS: I find YouTube very interesting, and my guilty pleasure (to the
shock of many here probably, or probably not) is finding the early AC/DC
video of Jailbreak (1974) only today. Great stuff. Visceral rock at its
rawest.
<g>

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
Al Eisner
2007-06-13 01:56:12 UTC
As for "The Sopranos", then I never ever got "into" it, and never will. A
total mish-mash imho, and I'd rather watch Reservoir Dogs over and over.
Another absolute pest of a program is "South Park", which I refuse to watch
on the principle that nobody is going to cheapskate my time with almost zero
animation, notwithstanding its so-called commentary. Can ANYONE here explain
South Park to me. Waste of a channel imo.
Does South Park occupy an entire channel in your parts? Amazing place,
Australia!

(By the way, no, I can't explain it.)
San Mateo Co., CA
TareeDawg
2007-06-13 05:13:39 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by TareeDawg
As for "The Sopranos", then I never ever got "into" it, and never
will. A total mish-mash imho, and I'd rather watch Reservoir Dogs over
and over. Another absolute pest of a program is "South Park", which I
refuse to watch on the principle that nobody is going to cheapskate my
time with almost zero animation, notwithstanding its so-called
commentary. Can ANYONE here explain South Park to me. Waste of a
channel imo.
Does South Park occupy an entire channel in your parts?
No, but I keep hitting it whilst surfing for something watchable, and
have often pondered as to why it should be on at all. In fact i cannot
even remember what channel now.
Post by Al Eisner
(By the way, no, I can't explain it.)
Thanks. Very heartening to hear that you can't.
<g>

Ray (Dawg) Hall, Taree
Al Eisner
2007-06-13 18:15:30 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
(By the way, no, I can't explain it.)
Thanks. Very heartening to hear that you can't.
<g>
In Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine", he interviewed one of the
creators of South Park, who, if I recall correctly, lived in or adjacent
to Columbine -- the site of a notorious school massacre. The questions
were about the pathology which might have led to that, but I couldn't
avoid thinking that South Park itself might be part of the same
pathology. (I'm not maintaining that -- I almost always avoid that
show, and thus cannot express fully-informed opinions about it.)
San Mateo Co., CA
Sacquboutier
2007-06-08 15:36:46 UTC
Post by A. Brain
[...]
I'm not that interested in pro basketball, but I like
to play it with my kids.

I've never watched a singel minute of
Sopranos, nor do I intend to. It just
doesn't sound appealing to me. Plus
I don't subscribe to HBO.

On another note, I am proud to say that
I've never seen one single second of:

American Idol
Survivor
Lost
Deal or No Deal
The Bachelor

or any other so called "reality" TV show.
Kindest regards,
Don
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-08 15:43:47 UTC
Post by Sacquboutier
Post by A. Brain
[...]
I think you're missing out on Lost. Some of the best storytelling
around.
Silmarillion
Seconded. Also House M.D is not to be missed i.m.h.o.
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-08 16:23:16 UTC
Post by Silmarillion
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Sacquboutier
On another note, I am proud to say that
American Idol
Survivor
Lost
Deal or No Deal
The Bachelor
or any other so called "reality" TV show.
Kindest regards,
Don
I think you're missing out on Lost. Some of the best storytelling
around.
Seconded. Also House M.D is not to be missed i.m.h.o.
As we descend into thread drift, I'll mention that House, which is
pretty interesting, was created by the same person behind another
medical drama, Gideon's Crossing, that I was very sorry to see
canceled. It starred Andre Braugher and while not great every week,
had several unforgettable episodes in its one season. I'm glad to see
this worked out better.
2007-06-08 16:48:00 UTC
Post by Silmarillion
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Sacquboutier
On another note, I am proud to say that
American Idol
Survivor
Lost
Deal or No Deal
The Bachelor
or any other so called "reality" TV show.
Kindest regards,
Don
I think you're missing out on Lost. Some of the best storytelling
around.
Seconded. Also House M.D is not to be missed i.m.h.o.
Well, for me, you've seen one House, you've seen them all. Every week
House finds a patient in tough straits, nearly kills him trying to find
out what's wrong, and finally cures him in the nick of time. I
wouldn't want House diagnosing me -- I'd rather have someone who gets
it right the first time.

-Owen

"My name is Jack Bauer. Terrorists have stolen my dog and called me a
sissy." I always thought they made a huge casting mistake when they
didn't cast Jack Nicholson as Jack Bauer's father.

-O
A. Brain
2007-06-10 18:26:49 UTC
Post by Silmarillion
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Sacquboutier
On another note, I am proud to say that
American Idol
Survivor
Lost
Deal or No Deal
The Bachelor
or any other so called "reality" TV show.
Kindest regards,
Don
I think you're missing out on Lost. Some of the best storytelling
around.
Seconded. Also House M.D is not to be missed i.m.h.o.
I've never seen any of the so-called
"reality" shows, other than Trump's,
which had to be the worst thing I
had ever seen on tv.

Apparently they are all the same--
the goal is to humiliate the participants.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Curtis Croulet
2007-06-11 02:38:21 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Apparently they are all the same--
the goal is to humiliate the participants.
Which is something I specifically detest seeing on TV. I've felt that way
going all the way back to the old Alan Funt "Candid Camera" shows. Some
poor schmuck is made to look and feel like an idiot, and I'm supposed to
think it's funny?
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California
33°27'59"N, 117°05'53"W
JohnGavin
2007-06-08 16:21:44 UTC
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Sacquboutier
Post by A. Brain
[...]
around.- Hide quoted text -
Perhaps, but the obvious gimmick of Lost is that the writers hold off
on resolving almost all of the mysteries it sets up in the plot. It's
the biggest "string-along" drama ever presented on television. I like
the show, BUT, the ending had better justify the 3 seasons of
unanswered questions!!!
Sacquboutier
2007-06-09 01:48:57 UTC
Post by Gregory Arkadin
Post by Sacquboutier
Post by A. Brain
[...]
From what I've seen of network TV lately, I don't think
I'm missing out on anything. I'm sure these are fine shows.
They just don't appeal to me. I've pretty much lost
interest in TV, except for the History Channel and
the like.
Kindest regards,
Don
HPLeft
2007-06-08 16:25:06 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".
I know all about the NBA but will likely not watch many games of the finals.
It can be painful for a Knick fan to watch teams that actually play
defense...

As for the Sopranos, I'll watch the finale, but I think as television it was
uneven and overrated. Give me a show like Hill Street Blues, or seasons 1-3
of LA Law (IMHO, the series went into the toilet after Bochco left); and
among HBO shows, Deadwood was more compelling. The Sopranos is the kind of
series you watch because everyone else is watching, but at least if you're
me, you keep wondering what the buzz was all about. The only interesting
components of the series for me were Tony's psychotherapy and Christopher's
unsuccessful battle with drug addiction.

In contrast, among contemporary fare, "The Tudors" strikes me as much more
compelling television - even if Henry VIII is as much of a psychopath as
Tony Soprano.

Matt C
Steve de Mena
2007-06-08 17:10:23 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I'm wondering how we lovers of Bach, Beethoven,
Brahms, Bruckner, et al. regard what I just heard
some talk show host call "the greatest television
dramatic series of all time". HBO's "The Sopranos".
I have never seen "The Sopranos", so I can not say
whether I would like it or not. As for the NBA, I
sometimes watch some of the playoffs or finals,
but none so far this year.

Steve
Michael Lehrman
2007-06-08 17:39:24 UTC
Post by A. Brain
[...]
No cable. But probably would have liked it, having been always fascinated by
the corpulent, humorous killers :-).
ML
Wayne Brown
2007-06-08 19:32:47 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I have no interest in either one.
--
Wayne Brown <***@bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

Þæs ofereode, ðisses swa mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
from "Deor," in the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
John Thomas
2007-06-09 01:02:51 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I watched several episodes of "The
Sopranos" a couple of years ago. I hated
it. There was not a single attractive character.
You might say the same about any novel by Kafka or Cormac McCarthy.
Great fiction doesn't require "attractive characters;" it does require
sophisticated readers or viewers.

The Sops is probably the greatest television dramatic series ever to
survive for eight seasons ("Seinfeld" survived for nine.) Even
better, though, is "The Wire," which is far too much like the world we
live in to last more than four. "The Sopranos" romanticized its
characters just enough to make them bearable. "The Wire" tells it like
it really is. Also great though now D.O.A.: "Six Feet Under" and
"Carnivale." In fact about the only decent tv outside HBO and
Showtime is "Battlestar Galactica." I don't include "Lost" only
because it became clear halfway through the first season that the
producers were making everything up as they went along and were never
going to be able to tie all its mysteries into a coherent explanation.

About the only way to appreciate the quality of the best of these
series is to do like Owen (and me): rent the DVD's and watch the
episodes in sequence. TV still sucks, but after 70 years it's finally
produced a handful of genuine artists whose genius can survive the
limitations of the medium and the trivial mentality of its audiences.

-jwt
fha.jonkers
2007-06-09 09:47:09 UTC
Post by John Thomas
Post by A. Brain
I watched several episodes of "The
Sopranos" a couple of years ago. I hated
it. There was not a single attractive character.
You might say the same about any novel by Kafka or Cormac McCarthy.
Great fiction doesn't require "attractive characters;" it does require
sophisticated readers or viewers.
The Sops is probably the greatest television dramatic series ever to
survive for eight seasons ("Seinfeld" survived for nine.) Even
better, though, is "The Wire," which is far too much like the world we
live in to last more than four.
The producers have said something to that extent - there will be one
more season next year and that'll be it.
A. Brain
2007-06-10 18:26:51 UTC
Post by John Thomas
Post by A. Brain
[...]
I need to look into "Wire".

As for questions about why start a thread of this
kind, I figure that people who have good taste in
music probably can offer suggestions about tv
and movies as well.

Tonight's choices among the NBA game,
Sopranos and the Tony awards is easy
for me. Tonys followed by "Tudors".
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
unknown
2007-06-11 04:01:54 UTC
<...>
Post by A. Brain
As for questions about why start a thread of this
kind, I figure that people who have good taste in
music probably can offer suggestions about tv
and movies as well.
Setting aside the question of whether good taste in music and rmcr have
anything in particular in common, my suggestion regarding TV is don't
watch. Just don't. Try it for a two or three weeks, and suddenly
you'll feel this tremendous sense of relief and freedom, and will never
go back.

It's been several years since I've watch any television, except for
some news once in a great while via the web.

wr
A. Brain
2007-06-11 10:16:44 UTC
Well, based on the finale of "The Sopranos",
I am less and less confident that this series
would be worthwhile wasting (further)
time with. As in viewing the previous'
seasons, etc.

In the final episode, that business
of the parallel parking and the maybe
assasins was so obvious, and I have to agree
with this critic. What a cop-out!

I always thought it was a stupid show.
Once again, virtually no attractive
characters, and while one has experienced
drama where one finds onesself rooting
for the villains, I never had that feeling
with this series, though admittedly I
probably saw only a dozen or so episodes.

I gave up on "24" years ago and have never
regretted it. Also gave up watching the local
baseball team unless it's a social experience.

Don't forget to read the "Slate" review:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/253pjs
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
gereco
2007-06-12 01:41:35 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I always thought it was a stupid show.
Really Monsieur Brain, this one statement - bare and alone -reveals
more about you and than the show
Post by A. Brain
Once again, virtually no attractive
characters,
I'm really hoping you mean "looks"-attractive.........

Post by A. Brain
drama where one finds onesself rooting
for the villains, I never had that feeling
with this series,
Try Googling "Tony Soprano", just for starters.
Post by A. Brain
though admittedly I
probably saw only a dozen or so episodes.
Therein sadly, lies your problem. There were 86 Eps in all.

But, the sheer genius that marked every aspect of this *For The Ages*
series is admittedly not for everyones 'taste.'.

Gc
A. Brain
2007-06-12 08:27:04 UTC
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
I always thought it was a stupid show.
Really Monsieur Brain, this one statement - bare and alone -reveals
more about you and than the show
I still think it's stupid. The business of Tony's kids and
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather". And it did not
take 86 hours. And the episodes I saw, including the
final one, suffer from logical problems. As in, why
would Tony care if the kid's SUV blew up? He's got
insurance. And it's just not believable that this gangster
is trying to get his kids into legitimate professions.

I wonder what my favorite critic, John Simon, formerly
of "National Review", thinks of the series. (I didn't
necessarily agree with all of Simon's criticism--he
didn't like much of anything--but he was always
entertaining.)
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
Once again, virtually no attractive
characters,
I'm really hoping you mean "looks"-attractive.........
Well, I do not view Don Giovanni as a villain,
but Tony Soprano is a fat slob, a jerk, and
a sociopath. What exactly is there to like?
And he and his ilk, unlike other sociopaths,
do not kill from some pathological compulsion,
but from cold calculation and for money.
And I think the series glorified violence.
Post by A. Brain
drama where one finds onesself rooting
for the villains, I never had that feeling
with this series,
Try Googling "Tony Soprano", just for starters.
Well, there's a tradition here of admiring
Mafiosi. And the final episode's alleged
"brilliance", leaving viewers with the impression
that Tony has to watch his back wherever he
goes, and worry about the kids, is recycled
"Godfather", as this whole series apparently
was.
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
though admittedly I
probably saw only a dozen or so episodes.
Therein sadly, lies your problem. There were 86 Eps in all.
But, the sheer genius that marked every aspect of this *For The Ages*
series is admittedly not for everyones 'taste.'.
I'd be interested in how many "Sopranos" fans
might have seen or liked stuff I really like, films
like "The Lives of Others", "Before the Fall",
"Downfall", "Au Revoir Les Enfants", and
"Europa, Europa"--all about the Nazi era.

Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days. I
took some Marx Brothers tapes down there
once and they didn't work for her.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Thornhill
2007-06-12 14:11:31 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I still think it's stupid. The business of Tony's kids and
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather". And it did not
take 86 hours. And the episodes I saw, including the
final one, suffer from logical problems. As in, why
would Tony care if the kid's SUV blew up? He's got
insurance.
He cares because AJ is a total embarrassment. AJ constantly makes him
look bad, and he's sick of his constant BS.
Post by A. Brain
And it's just not believable that this gangster
is trying to get his kids into legitimate professions.
Tony and the rest of the world knows that AJ is such a screwup that
he'd get himself killed making his first round of collections. As Tony
told Melfi when discussing why AJ was unable to commit suicide because
the rope was too long "maybe he's just an idiot. Historically, that's
been the case."
2007-06-12 14:50:05 UTC
Post by A. Brain
I'd be interested in how many "Sopranos" fans
might have seen or liked stuff I really like, films
like "The Lives of Others", "Before the Fall",
"Downfall", "Au Revoir Les Enfants", and
"Europa, Europa"--all about the Nazi era.
I am enjoying my marathon Soprano sessions (I'm up to season 5 disk 2),
and I also enjoyed "Downfall" and "Au Revoir...", both excellent films.
I even read the book "Downfall" was based on, though it didn't add too
much to what was already in the movie. (The girl in the movie was
prettier, too!)
Post by A. Brain
Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days. I
took some Marx Brothers tapes down there
once and they didn't work for her.
You might have been better trying Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" marred
only by Chaplin's maudlin speech at the end. (Or perhaps the Three
Stooges "You Natzy Spy" and "I'll Never Heil Again" Moe's astrologer
was the Seer of Roebuck.)

2007-06-12 15:08:43 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
I always thought it was a stupid show.
Really Monsieur Brain, this one statement - bare and alone -reveals
more about you and than the show
I still think it's stupid. The business of Tony's kids and
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather". And it did not
take 86 hours. And the episodes I saw, including the
final one, suffer from logical problems. As in, why
would Tony care if the kid's SUV blew up?
He's got insurance.
Would you care if *your* kid below up his SUV despite the fact that it's
insured? I thought so. Would you care if your wife died despite the fact
that you have her life insured? I thought so. Do you have her life insured
for so much that you would be indifferent to her death? I thought not.
Post by A. Brain
And it's just not believable that this gangster
is trying to get his kids into legitimate professions.
It's totally believable. I believe it. Do you have some inside information
about mobsters to indicate they all want their kids to grow up to be
mobsters?
j***@yahoo.com
2007-06-12 15:40:13 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days.
I liken it to "The Engineering Channel"
Like classical music, an acquired taste.
gereco
2007-06-12 19:13:45 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
I always thought it was a stupid show.
Really Monsieur Brain, this one statement - bare and alone -reveals
more about you and than the show
I still think it's stupid. The business of Tony's kids and
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather".
Not really wanting to prolong this OT discussion, but are you saying
that your understanding is that the SOPS is about "Tony's kids and
their aspirations and rebellion" ?? Oh, how wrong and so very
misinformed you are..
Post by A. Brain
And it did not take 86 hours.
AS great as the Godfather Trilogy was (and I was a bi-i-i-g fan), its
basic story line covers only about 1/20th of the story lines and
development as found in The Sopranos. Of course, that was *it's*
intention, so there really should be no comparisons of this type
between the two.
Post by A. Brain
Well, there's a tradition here of admiring
Mafiosi. And the final episode's alleged
"brilliance", leaving viewers with the impression
that Tony has to watch his back wherever he
goes, and worry about the kids, is recycled
"Godfather", as this whole series apparently
was.
WRONG! They shared a thematic basis, and that is all!
Post by A. Brain
I'd be interested in how many "Sopranos" fans
might have seen or liked stuff I really like, films
like "The Lives of Others", "Before the Fall",
"Downfall", "Au Revoir Les Enfants", and
"Europa, Europa"--all about the Nazi era.
Sorry, I don't know these. I'll bet I would like "Europa, Europa"
because I have always had an historical interest in the awful tragedy
of WWII, and especially the Holocaust.

I like other things besides Sopranos. :-) Have already mentioned
"I, Claudius" and "Upstairs, Downstairs". How about 'Once Upon a Time
in the West", and "OUATI-America" (if only for those beautiful
intimate scores by Morricone) , "Gone With the Wind", "Shane",
"Sophie's Choice"........?
Post by A. Brain
Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days.
How apropos! I am a History Channel watcher also, and commented to a
family member just alittle while ago that it seems obsessed, with
Hitler!

Gc
Simon Roberts
2007-06-12 19:20:46 UTC
In article <sNsbi.77929$***@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, A. Brain
says...
Post by A. Brain
I still think it's stupid.
I can imagine not liking it, but "stupid"?

Post by A. Brain
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather".
I probably shouldn't say this, but I think The Sopranos is superior to those
movies in every way.

And it did not
Post by A. Brain
take 86 hours. And the episodes I saw, including the
final one, suffer from logical problems. As in, why
would Tony care if the kid's SUV blew up? He's got
insurance.
You can't be serious. Anyway, what's the "logical problem"?

Post by A. Brain
is trying to get his kids into legitimate professions.
Why not? Given what the show tells us about "this gangster" it's entirely
believable.
Post by A. Brain
Well, I do not view Don Giovanni as a villain,
but Tony Soprano is a fat slob, a jerk, and
a sociopath. What exactly is there to like?
Why do you have to "like" him or any of the cast? Isn't it enough that they're
interesting drawn characters? Take a look at the recent New Republic piece on
the show.
Post by A. Brain
And he and his ilk, unlike other sociopaths,
do not kill from some pathological compulsion,
but from cold calculation and for money.
I think you should watch rather more of the show rather more carefully before
saying such things.
Post by A. Brain
And I think the series glorified violence.
How on earth did it do that? I'm beginning to wonder whether you've actually
watched any of it.
Post by A. Brain
Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days. I
took some Marx Brothers tapes down there
once and they didn't work for her.
Well, show her something good, like The Sopranos.

Simon
A. Brain
2007-06-13 07:46:59 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
says...
Post by A. Brain
I still think it's stupid.
I can imagine not liking it, but "stupid"?
Well, maybe it's supposed to be part
of the "humor", but for one thing, the
gangsters are caricatures almost to the
point of being cartoonish in appearance
and demeanor. And they all look alike.
I found it hard to tell them apart.
Post by A. Brain
their aspirations and rebellion was done better over
thirty-five years ago in "The Godfather".
I probably shouldn't say this, but I think The Sopranos is superior to those
movies in every way.
Well, I've seen eight or ten episodes,
several back-to-back and found none
of them so compelling as Godfather
I and II.
Post by Simon Roberts
And it did not
Post by A. Brain
take 86 hours. And the episodes I saw, including the
final one, suffer from logical problems. As in, why
would Tony care if the kid's SUV blew up? He's got
insurance.
You can't be serious. Anyway, what's the "logical problem"?
Well, I don't think it makes sense that this thug
is so upset about the kid's vehicle. Was this
incident having spoiled the kid's little sex romp
supposed to be funny or tragic? As for other
logical problems, if TS is in a war between
gangs or factions or whatever, what in the hell
is he doing with his entire family in a diner. If you
assume that "honor among thieves" applies, that
the war is over or in a truce, then why are we supposed
to be worried that he--or the entire family--will be
slaughtered?

And though I am not familiar with the onion rings
business, as in whether that is a regular favorite
of the family, it might have been humorous to have
a disagreement about how to eat them. Like maybe
A.J., instead of popping the whole thing into his
mouth, bites off a part, or insists on dips them
in ketchup, and Tony is scolding him for that
when the screen fades to black. THAT would
have been humorous.
Post by A. Brain
Well, I do not view Don Giovanni as a villain,
but Tony Soprano is a fat slob, a jerk, and
a sociopath. What exactly is there to like?
Why do you have to "like" him or any of the cast? Isn't it enough that they're
interesting drawn characters? Take a look at the recent New Republic piece on
the show.
Again, except for maybe the Steve Buscemi character,
I found the characters to be fairly cardboard. And is
it really that daring to have TS going to a therapist?
The business of "how did I get into this?", etc. is tired
and was much better in Godfather II.

TNR article did not help me in understanding the
show. Except to the extent that it described
the characters as repulsive. I agree with that.

And why do we want to see repulsive people on
tv? I run into enough of them in my so-called
"profession".
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by A. Brain
And he and his ilk, unlike other sociopaths,
do not kill from some pathological compulsion,
but from cold calculation and for money.
I think you should watch rather more of the show rather more carefully before
saying such things.
I'll pass.
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by A. Brain
And I think the series glorified violence.
How on earth did it do that? I'm beginning to wonder whether you've actually
watched any of it.
There was a lot of gratuitous violence. Maybe I'm just
"sensitive". I couldn't stand "A Clockwork Orange"
for the same reasons. I recall one episode where
TS's daughter's boyfriend (one of the few attractive
characters, physically and otherwise) was revolted
by the violence. I don't recall if this conflict was
developed further. It was one of a few times when I
found myself liking one of the characters--though
Buscemi is almost always good and was also good
here. So I guess they had to kill him off.
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by A. Brain
Maybe I need to lighten up. Then again
my neighbor tells me that she only watches
"The Hitler Channel" (also known as
"The History Channel") these days. I
took some Marx Brothers tapes down there
once and they didn't work for her.
Well, show her something good, like The Sopranos.
I at least got her into Wodehouse. She likes almost
anything British, including some stuff I don't get.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Simon Roberts
2007-06-13 18:38:33 UTC
In article <ThNbi.152634$***@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, A.
Brain says...
Post by A. Brain
And they all look alike.
I found it hard to tell them apart.
This is getting really weird. They don't all look alike.

[snip]
Post by A. Brain
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by A. Brain
And I think the series glorified violence.
How on earth did it do that? I'm beginning to wonder whether you've actually
watched any of it.
There was a lot of gratuitous violence.
I would ask why it's "gratuitous" but that would probably be pointless. But
even if it were, how does it "glorify" violence?

Simon
A. Brain
2007-06-15 03:19:26 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
In article
Brain says...
Post by A. Brain
And they all look alike.
I found it hard to tell them apart.
This is getting really weird. They don't all look alike.
They look pretty much alike to me:

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/cast/
Post by Simon Roberts
[snip]
Post by A. Brain
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by A. Brain
And I think the series glorified violence.
How on earth did it do that? I'm beginning to wonder whether you've actually
watched any of it.
There was a lot of gratuitous violence.
I would ask why it's "gratuitous" but that would probably be
pointless. But
even if it were, how does it "glorify" violence?
I did not see the entire series, but I assume that
A.J. is a wimp and never whacked anyone,
or even got in a fight. Meanwhile, the "heroes"
are a violent bunch. I asked my so-called
"friend" (the one who made me watch this
and the NBA when she was still hanging around)
about the onion rings business and she said it
was not a recurring event and that TS frequently
appeared eating sloppily. So maybe my proposed
ending would not have worked. I still like it
though because it reminds one of how sometimes
the last time you see a family member you have
some absurd argument about nothing.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
A. Brain
2007-06-15 03:19:27 UTC
http://preview.tinyurl.com/279t4v
A. Brain
m***@comcast.net
2007-06-09 02:34:23 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I care very much about both, though the NBA isn't as much fun as it
was
15 or so years ago. The Sopranos last season has been one of its
best.
The best television series I've ever seen was Dennis Potter's The
Singing Detective on BBC
in the late 1980s.

Marc Perman
j***@yahoo.com
2007-06-09 02:38:46 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
The best television series I've ever seen was Dennis Potter's The
Singing Detective on BBC in the late 1980s.
The Singing Detective was good. Also, I haven't seen it since it
originally aired when I was a kid, but Roots I still remember as being
pretty powerful.
Philip Peters
2007-06-09 12:52:22 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I care very much about both, though the NBA isn't as much fun as it
was
15 or so years ago. The Sopranos last season has been one of its
best.
The best television series I've ever seen was Dennis Potter's The
Singing Detective on BBC
in the late 1980s.
Marc Perman
Indeed. This was the best ever. Did a US network broadcast it?

P.
Bob Harper
2007-06-09 17:06:44 UTC
Post by Philip Peters
Post by m***@comcast.net
Post by A. Brain
Who here cares about the NBA and
likes "The Sopranos"?
I care very much about both, though the NBA isn't as much fun as it
was
15 or so years ago. The Sopranos last season has been one of its
best.
The best television series I've ever seen was Dennis Potter's The
Singing Detective on BBC
in the late 1980s.
Marc Perman
Indeed. This was the best ever. Did a US network broadcast it?
P.
Yes; it was on PBS some years ago.

Bob Harper
gereco
2007-06-09 19:09:06 UTC
gereco
2007-06-09 22:23:28 UTC
RE: The Sopranos:

If readers here haven't seen this wonderfully analytical, descriptive,
comparative article by Peggy Noonan in yesterday's Opinion Journal,
here is the link:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110010180

If A. Brain reads this, it seems only 'appropraite' that I add to my
original cloaing paragraph,
Incidentally, I am a big lover of "I, Claudius" (own the 5 album DVD
set which I have watched zillions of times), "Brideshead Revisited",
and was a huge fan years ago of "Hill St. Blues."
.......that I also own the *5* season DVD set of Upstairs,
Downstairs.

Gc
A. Brain
2007-06-10 18:26:50 UTC
Post by gereco
If readers here haven't seen this wonderfully analytical, descriptive,
comparative article by Peggy Noonan in yesterday's Opinion Journal,
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110010180
If A. Brain reads this, it seems only 'appropraite' that I add to my
original cloaing paragraph,
Incidentally, I am a big lover of "I, Claudius" (own the 5 album DVD
set which I have watched zillions of times), "Brideshead Revisited",
and was a huge fan years ago of "Hill St. Blues."
.......that I also own the *5* season DVD set of Upstairs,
Downstairs.
I guess I associate "Sopranos" with the kind
of high-violence "action" movies that I avoid
at all costs. But I did not like "Upstairs,
Downstairs" too much either. The
fairly recent "Forsyte Saga" was terrific.

"I, Claudius" is maybe my all-time favorite.
And if you are into "teen angst", there was
the great series "My So-Called Life", which
was on network tv. It was done by the
same crew who did "Thirtysuffering", but
was much better.

And speaking of which, I hear that
"Arrested Development" is worth
looking into.

I gave up on HBO's "Deadwood".
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-10 18:59:21 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by gereco
[...]
Remove NOSPAM for email.- Hide quoted text -
If you like jokes going by at light-speed, double entendres taken to
new heights, writing that loops around entire seasons, some of the
most creative cameos ever and potent commentary on contemporary
culture and society, you might enjoy Arrested Development. Unlike The
Wire, one episode should tell you whether you'd like the show. They
were amazingly consistent. Here's an example, with a joke at the end
that somehow made it past Standards & Practices:

William Sommerwerck
2007-06-10 19:34:05 UTC
I guess I associate "The Sopranos" with the kind of
high-violence "action" movies that I avoid at all costs.
Yes, it's (sporadically) violent, but it's also brilliantly written and
acted. And, on rare occasions, hysterically funny.
I gave up on HBO's "Deadwood".
I was bothered by the language, but the rest of it was exceptional. Though I
do wish they'd figured out some way to work in Doris Day as a guest star...
A. Brain
2007-06-11 10:16:45 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
I guess I associate "The Sopranos" with the kind of
high-violence "action" movies that I avoid at all costs.
Yes, it's (sporadically) violent, but it's also brilliantly written and
acted. And, on rare occasions, hysterically funny.
I gave up on HBO's "Deadwood".
I was bothered by the language, but the rest of it was exceptional. Though I
do wish they'd figured out some way to work in Doris Day as a guest star...
What a coincidence. I was also bothered by the vulgar
language that was almost always "c---sucker" this and that.
Obviously, writers in the first half of the 20th century were
constrained by having to avoid profanity and a more realistic
depiction is welcome, but surely there was more variety
than that in the Old West. This particular term became
really tiresome and I cannot think of a contemporary term
that compares. We don't always refer to a jerk as an
asshole, so they needed to mix it up a little.

Then of course there is that "Lonesome Cowboys"
angle. And as I recall, "Deadwood" had some lesbian
sex, which is more or less required for any successful
television series these days.

But I gave up on "Deadwood" for the same reasons
I dislike "The Sopranos". Maybe there were some
interesting characters, but no likable ones.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Gregory Arkadin
2007-06-11 13:37:15 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
I guess I associate "The Sopranos" with the kind of
high-violence "action" movies that I avoid at all costs.
Yes, it's (sporadically) violent, but it's also brilliantly written and
acted. And, on rare occasions, hysterically funny.
I gave up on HBO's "Deadwood".
I was bothered by the language, but the rest of it was exceptional. Though I
do wish they'd figured out some way to work in Doris Day as a guest star...
The show's creator, David Milch, was a classics major at Yale, I
believe, and said that in the year he spent researching the show, the
only thing the experts he consulted agreed on was the common use of
vulgar language. Maybe not to the extent on the show, I'll grant you.
gereco
2007-06-10 21:13:56 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by gereco
[...]
It seems to me A. Brain that you need to allow some *variety* into
your TV-drama watchings. :-)

For one thing, The Sopranos is NOT all about violence. I think if you
were reasonably familiar with it, you would agree. Although when it
delves into it, you have to admit that *that* also is done with
immense daring and such superior filmography that one shudders in
sensing that's the way its is "done" in reality.

For a 'second thing', I don't know how much of "I, Claudius you have
watched but it also has unbelievable scenes of grotesque *violence*
(mostly done "legally" upon orders of the Emperor!).

Upstairs, Downstairs was an OUTSTANDING drama, with many drama
afficianados considering it the best ever. I have always given it a
'tie' with I. Claudius. I think that I now have a Triumvirate.

Gc
A. Brain
2007-06-10 18:26:51 UTC
"gereco" <***@cox.net> wrote in message news:***@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

To paraphrase Livia in The Sopranos, "lucky you" that I made a rare
pass on this newsgroup today.

Leaving out the NBA, you unwittingly answered yourself ("I don't get
it.") in your opening paragraph. Naturally "we lovers of Bach,
Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner" would likely consider The Sopranos low-
class stuff, unworthy to claim the attention of anyone "called" to the
'higher spheres' of entertainment as represented by these names Such
is, and has always been, the unfortunate situation of ClassiTIcal
Music and its magnetic attraction for those who can't, or refuse to
see that one can have a passionate taste for both New Orleans' famous
Antoine's Seafood Gumbo and for a Parisian Crémeux à l'Ananas. [The
Deep South vs. French chic] Or probably more pertinently, to be aware
of both divergent emotional pulls.

A lot of great stuff missed by "eyes wide closed"- adherents in both
camps.

Well, I don't GET "The Sopranos" for the reasons
mentioned. The characters all look alike, all
act alike, and they're nasty criminals. So they
have "family issues"? The only good episodes
I saw were those where outsiders who were
getting close to the family and then saw what
was going on and were alienated and horrified.

The Sopranos, so sadly closing out its magnificent 8-year run this
Sunday, is, with very little doubt from any sphere, the greatest TV
drama series ever. The greatest **writing**, the greatest characters
and character development, direction, acting, filmography, - the whole
bag.

Next thing you'll be saying is that Wagner's operas are the
greatest music drama there is.

[snip]
Incidentally, I am a big lover of "I, Claudius" (own the 5 album DVD
set which I have watched zillions of times), "Brideshead Revisited",
and was a huge fan years ago of "Hill St. Blues."

Gc

P.S.
Somehow, I can't help feeling that I am the 'friend' you referred to
since I did used to talk a bit about the NBA (not anymore; got over
that fling)
and the Sopranos, and I'm a she.

No, Gc, this was a friend whom I was very close
to and we spent a lot of time together until recently
when she QUIT DRINKING. I've never seen that
be a positive development, but at least I don't have
to watch "Sopranos" and the San Antonio Spurs
anymore. And of course the program that she
underwent in the course of quitting drinking just
substituted another form of addiction, including
regular get-togethers with other former alcholics and
congratulating each other, etc.

(Despite our political differences, I'd like to meet Gc.)
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
gereco
2007-06-10 22:21:10 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Next thing you'll be saying is that Wagner's operas are the
greatest music drama there is.
No way. Although I do like a lot of Wagner's *music.*
Post by A. Brain
P.S.
Somehow, I can't help feeling that I am the 'friend' you referred to
since I did used to talk a bit about the NBA (not anymore; got over
that fling)
and the Sopranos, and I'm a she.
No, Gc, this was a friend whom I was very close
to and we spent a lot of time together until recently
when she QUIT DRINKING. I've never seen that
be a positive development, but at least I don't have
to watch "Sopranos" and the San Antonio Spurs
anymore. And of course the program that she
underwent in the course of quitting drinking just
substituted another form of addiction, including
regular get-togethers with other former alcholics and
congratulating each other, etc.
Well to make my 'suspicion' even more applicable, I am not a
"teetotaler." [sp?] If you had mentioned though that this 'she'
was a Spurs (NBA) fan, I would have immediately realized that I was
off track, as I HATE (or used to, when an "selective" NBA fan) the SA
Spurs!

Can't understand why her quitting drinking put you off so much. Is it
because you are a "sot"? :-)
Post by A. Brain
(Despite our political differences, I'd like to meet Gc.)
Will wonders never cease to exist! However, I'll admit to you that
some of my best friends, in the flesh AND online - are liberal
Democrats.

[In anticipation of your 'comeback', you are aware I'm sure that
classTIcal music attracts way more liberals than conservatives.]

Don't forget to watch tonight's final episode - 8:00 p.m. CDT. :-)

Gc
A. Brain
2007-06-11 10:16:45 UTC
Post by gereco
Well to make my 'suspicion' even more applicable, I am not a
"teetotaler." [sp?] If you had mentioned though that this 'she'
was a Spurs (NBA) fan, I would have immediately realized that I was
off track, as I HATE (or used to, when an "selective" NBA fan) the SA
Spurs!
Can't understand why her quitting drinking put you off so much. Is it
because you are a "sot"? :-)
Well, maybe. Though unlike our President and Vice President,
I have no DUI arrests or for that matter any arrests. I will confess,
however that several years ago I defended a very prominent and
popular waiter at a local Tex-Mex restaurant who was charged with
"public intoxication". Before we went to court, we met at a local bar
for "shots" at 7:00 a.m.
Post by gereco
Post by A. Brain
(Despite our political differences, I'd like to meet Gc.)
Will wonders never cease to exist! However, I'll admit to you that
some of my best friends, in the flesh AND online - are liberal
Democrats.
[In anticipation of your 'comeback', you are aware I'm sure that
classTIcal music attracts way more liberals than conservatives.]
Don't forget to watch tonight's final episode - 8:00 p.m. CDT. :-)
Watched it and found it very disappointing. As for "liberal
Democrats", I am definitely a supporter of Obama, but I may
send a contribution to Ron Paul.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
J***@msn.com
2007-06-10 02:37:22 UTC
Post by A. Brain
[...]
Most commercial tv is garbage (the high point in the past was "kukla,
fran, and Ollie". (why not include films - in the U.S. there hasn't
been a good film since 1939). But U.S. sports is worse - an example
of the class wars going on in America in full swing. Basketball and
football in particular. At least baseball has some semblance to opera
- but I stopped being a fan when the Dodgers left for LA. But what is
your real motivation for asking this question? Hauser
Michael lehrman
2007-06-10 16:22:54 UTC
<***@msn.com> wrote in message news:***@n4g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
[snip]
Post by J***@msn.com
Most commercial tv is garbage (the high point in the past was "kukla,
fran, and Ollie". (why not include films - in the U.S. there hasn't
been a good film since 1939). But U.S. sports is worse - an example
of the class wars going on in America in full swing. Basketball and
football in particular. At least baseball has some semblance to opera
- but I stopped being a fan when the Dodgers left for LA. But what is
your real motivation for asking this question? Hauser
You didn't like "Total Recall" ? :-)
ML
J***@msn.com
2007-06-12 01:04:19 UTC
Post by Michael lehrman
[snip]
Post by J***@msn.com
Most commercial tv is garbage (the high point in the past was "kukla,
fran, and Ollie". (why not include films - in the U.S. there hasn't
been a good film since 1939). But U.S. sports is worse - an example
of the class wars going on in America in full swing. Basketball and
football in particular. At least baseball has some semblance to opera
- but I stopped being a fan when the Dodgers left for LA. But what is
your real motivation for asking this question? Hauser
You didn't like "Total Recall" ? :-)
ML
I confess - being a Philip Dick fan (have all his works) - I have the
DVD (don't let it get around) (enjoyed Blade Runner too). But still,
both movies are not of the quality of Metropolis or The Shape of
Things to Come (and, of course, both films do not have music by Bliss
in this latter case). Hauser
Econotron
2007-06-12 02:46:18 UTC
Post by J***@msn.com
Post by Michael lehrman
[snip]
Post by J***@msn.com
Most commercial tv is garbage (the high point in the past was "kukla,
fran, and Ollie". (why not include films - in the U.S. there hasn't
been a good film since 1939). But U.S. sports is worse - an example
of the class wars going on in America in full swing. Basketball and
football in particular. At least baseball has some semblance to opera
- but I stopped being a fan when the Dodgers left for LA. But what is
your real motivation for asking this question? Hauser
You didn't like "Total Recall" ? :-)
ML
I confess - being a Philip Dick fan (have all his works) - I have the
DVD (don't let it get around) (enjoyed Blade Runner too). But still,
both movies are not of the quality of Metropolis or The Shape of
Things to Come (and, of course, both films do not have music by Bliss
in this latter case). Hauser
Well, at least I know that Hauser is probably your real name, and not the
one assumed after a favorite movie character. But I was close :-)
ML