Eloquence Legacy of Charles Munch
2020-06-03 17:48:36 UTC
Has anyone been able to get this box?
All Amazon except Japan sites show it ad unavailable.
All Alliance sites (ImportCDs, Blowitoutahere, Deep Discount) dropped the listing altogether.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HQ3P56/
musicologist09
2020-06-03 18:03:28 UTC
Supply chain disruption seems the likeliest explanation. I do however note that the full box is available for streaming in both Spotify and Qobuz and thus probably elsewhere too.
Frank Berger
2020-06-03 18:24:29 UTC
Post by musicologist09
Supply chain disruption seems the likeliest explanation. I do however note that the full box is available for streaming in both Spotify and Qobuz and thus probably elsewhere too.
My most recent order from Presto is definitely taking longer
than usual (as they warn). Most things I've ordered on
line, music and otherwise, seem to be arriving in a timely
manner. Kudos to Amazon, UPS, and even USPS.
b***@gmail.com
2020-06-03 18:20:32 UTC
Presto mailed mine on May 21 and still listed it as of this morning.
Frank Berger
2020-06-03 18:22:49 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Has anyone been able to get this box?
All Amazon except Japan sites show it ad unavailable.
All Alliance sites (ImportCDs, Blowitoutahere, Deep Discount) dropped the listing altogether.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HQ3P56/
Presto lists it as in stock with a release date of May 22.
That could be an error, of course, but they are pretty
reliable in that regard. I just ordered it. Not sure if
1st come 1st served applies, but I hope neither of us gets
the last one!
Randy Lane
2020-06-03 20:18:56 UTC
You sure?

When I've gone to Presto for the last week or so it shows out of stock.
Just checked again. Still out of stock.
John Fowler
2020-06-03 20:31:10 UTC
Mine arrived on June 2. Ordered from Amazon UK
Frank Berger
2020-06-03 20:59:56 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
You sure?
When I've gone to Presto for the last week or so it shows out of stock.
Just checked again. Still out of stock.
Strange. Just before I posted I ordered it. It said in
stock. Simple explanation is that I got the last one. But
I'm not holding my breath. I can't rationalize this with
your having seen it out of stock there before.
Al Eisner
2020-06-03 21:36:57 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
You sure?
When I've gone to Presto for the last week or so it shows out of stock.
Just checked again. Still out of stock.
Strange. Just before I posted I ordered it. It said in stock. Simple
explanation is that I got the last one. But I'm not holding my breath. I
can't rationalize this with your having seen it out of stock there before.
Presto now says it is out-of-stock at its UK distributor, and could
take siz weeks or more to restock.
drh8h
2020-06-03 21:53:29 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Randy Lane
You sure?
When I've gone to Presto for the last week or so it shows out of stock.
Just checked again. Still out of stock.
Strange. Just before I posted I ordered it. It said in stock. Simple
explanation is that I got the last one. But I'm not holding my breath. I
can't rationalize this with your having seen it out of stock there before.
Presto now says it is out-of-stock at its UK distributor, and could
take siz weeks or more to restock.
My copy was manufactured in Australia. With the drastic reduction in air travel, it is hard to ship goods from one country to another, even when they are not far apart. We can hope this will ease soon.

DH
Al Eisner
2020-06-03 22:42:36 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Randy Lane
You sure?
When I've gone to Presto for the last week or so it shows out of stock.
Just checked again. Still out of stock.
Strange. Just before I posted I ordered it. It said in stock. Simple
explanation is that I got the last one. But I'm not holding my breath. I
can't rationalize this with your having seen it out of stock there before.
Presto now says it is out-of-stock at its UK distributor, and could
take siz weeks or more to restock.
My copy was manufactured in Australia. With the drastic reduction in air travel, it is hard to ship goods from one country to another, even when they are not far apart. We can hope this will ease soon.
DH
Considering that I missed out on the RCA set (now $500 plus shipping at
Amazon marketplace), the Eloquence set seems like a good one to wait
for. Any reactions to it yet?
San Mateo Co., CA
drh8h
2020-06-04 21:19:23 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by drh8h
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Transfers of the 78s by Mark Obert-Thorn are state of the art. I think you can safely retire those old Dante discs. Performances erratic in the best or worst Munch tradition, depending on you view. Playing by the Paris Conservatory Orchestra particularly sometimes hit or miss and I never get used to those horns. The LPO which shares many of the honors, not exactly virtuoso, but agreeable. Have not listened yet to any of the stereos, remastering by Chris Bernhauer. Definitely for Munch admirers and those curious about his often impulsive style. Many of his later recordings with the BSO and others seem more subdued. In the earlier ones, the influence of Furtwängler can be discerned: e.g. the steep acceleration at the end of the Pathétique march.

DH
Néstor Castiglione

DH
vhorowitz
2020-06-05 04:03:30 UTC
My memory of Klemperer’s EMI studio Brahms 4th never quite prepares me for how much HE speeds up at the end of the 1st movement when I actually give it a re-listen!

Neal
Al Eisner
2020-06-06 06:29:52 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by drh8h
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Transfers of the 78s by Mark Obert-Thorn are state of the art. I think you can safely retire those old Dante discs. Performances erratic in the best or worst Munch tradition, depending on you view. Playing by the Paris Conservatory Orchestra particularly sometimes hit or miss and I never get used to those horns. The LPO which shares many of the honors, not exactly virtuoso, but agreeable. Have not listened yet to any of the stereos, remastering by Chris Bernhauer. Definitely for Munch admirers and those curious about his often impulsive style. Many of his later recordings with the BSO and others seem more subdued. In the earlier ones, the influence of FurtwÀngler can be discerned: e.g. the steep acceleration at the end of the Pathétique march.
DH
Thanks. I doubt if I've heafd any of the early recordings, but I
may try to lisren to some to get a feel.
Mort
2020-06-22 01:07:38 UTC
Frank Berger
2020-06-22 01:28:30 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Has anyone been able to get this box?
All Amazon except Japan sites show it ad unavailable.
All Alliance sites (ImportCDs, Blowitoutahere, Deep Discount) dropped the listing altogether.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HQ3P56/
There's a couple on e-bay for over $100 incl. shipping.
You've convinced me to pull the trigger on the Barbirolli box.
Frank Berger
2020-06-22 04:19:27 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Has anyone been able to get this box?
All Amazon except Japan sites show it ad unavailable.
All Alliance sites (ImportCDs, Blowitoutahere, Deep Discount) dropped the listing altogether.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HQ3P56/
I ordered mine from Presto on June 3, and received it pretty
promptly. They are out of stock now.