Rafael Orozco
Add Reply
y***@gmail.com
2019-08-30 06:23:16 UTC
I vaguely recall seeing some of Rafael Orozco's Rachmaninoff on Philips. Just discovered his 1971 EMI Chopin Etudes:

Mighty impressive!

Is anyone aware of a CD release?

Also just started listening to the Scherzos:

HT
2019-08-30 09:27:40 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/F8yHC0isp_Y
Mighty impressive!
Is anyone aware of a CD release?
http://youtu.be/AOeZ68NJCBg
Agreed, an impressive performer. I've quite a few of his CDs but not his Chopin. I certainly would have bought his Chopin etudes if they had been available on the usual websites.

2019-08-30 15:56:33 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
I vaguely recall seeing some of Rafael Orozco's Rachmaninoff on Philips.
Had heard some of his Rachmaninoff and Chopin before, but thanks for the reminder.I'm now listening first time to his complete " Iberia " , like very much what I'm hearing so far,fww :

Mandryka
2019-08-30 17:13:54 UTC
Had heard some of his Rachmaninoff and Chopin before, but thanks for the reminder.I'm now listening first time to his complete " Iberia " , like very much what I'm hearing so far,fww : http://youtu.be/R13GcRQSPxU
I agree, I also listened today to the Iberia.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-30 18:04:21 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Bozo
Post by y***@gmail.com
I vaguely recall seeing some of Rafael Orozco's Rachmaninoff on Philips.
Had heard some of his Rachmaninoff and Chopin before, but thanks for the reminder.I'm now listening first time to his complete " Iberia " , like very much what I'm hearing so far,fww : http://youtu.be/R13GcRQSPxU
I agree, I also listened today to the Iberia.
Back in 2007, a BBC survey of Iberia recordings placed Orozco's on top of the heap. As reported here :-) It is excellent, and still stands out in a crowded field, imo.

AC
y***@gmail.com
Thanks - just started listening to Orozco's Iberia - it's great!
JohnGavin
2019-08-31 00:04:10 UTC
The Orozco recording I remember was the Chopin Preludes. I liked it back in the 60s - listening to it on YouTube I still like it very much - very sensitive and skillful.
Bozo
2019-08-31 14:03:41 UTC
The Orozco recording I remember was the Chopin Preludes. I liked it back in the 60s - listening to it on >YouTube I still like it very much - very sensitive and skillful.
Thanks, my first hearing Preludes today. Agreed.

His 1970 French EMI cd of Brahms’ 3rd Piano Sonata,Op.5 , my first hearing today :

So effortless,”organic” one has to remind oneself the music is not simply arising from the piano by itself.
y***@gmail.com
2019-09-01 05:34:22 UTC
The Orozco recording I remember was the Chopin Preludes. I liked it back in the 60s - listening to it on >YouTube I still like it very much - very sensitive and skillful.
Thanks, my first hearing Preludes today. Agreed.
http://youtu.be/IFVwNGfDpdM
So effortless,”organic” one has to remind oneself the music is not simply arising from the piano by itself.
Bozo, thank you for this Brahms. A fabulous performance – colossal power along with beautiful delicacy. I’m loving everything I’m hearing from this pianist!
Mandryka
2019-09-01 05:41:20 UTC
It would be nice to hear him play some hammerless Debussy!
Mandryka
2019-09-01 06:11:33 UTC
By the way, I’ve started to listen to his K491 with Dutoit, an old Classics for Pleasure recording now on Qobuz. I’m not sure what I think of Dutoit’s contribution but I am sure that what Orozco does is lovely!
dk
2019-08-31 09:01:45 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Mandryka
I agree, I also listened today to the Iberia.
Back in 2007, a BBC survey of Iberia recordings
placed Orozco's on top of the heap. As reported
here :-) It is excellent, and still stands out
in a crowded field, imo.
The top choices for Iberia are Querol, Orozco,
Sanchez, and your pick of an earlier De Larrocha
recording. These days I tend to listen mostly to
the first two.

dk
Steve Emerson
2019-08-31 15:29:18 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/F8yHC0isp_Y
Mighty impressive!
Is anyone aware of a CD release?
http://youtu.be/AOeZ68NJCBg
I'm fond of the scherzos. Re: the etudes, when IPQ surveyed the field of recordings around 2000, the Orozco had only appeared on LP and I find no evidence of an issue since.

SE.