Complete Munch Decca, DG et al. box coming from Eloquence in May
Add Reply
Mark Obert-Thorn
2020-03-24 14:24:07 UTC
Just announced on the Presto Classical website:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8773271--the-legacy-of-charles-munch

Here's a promotional YouTube video on the set, with some sound excerpts:

And here's the complete track listing:

CD 1*
MAURICE RAVEL (1875–1937)
1 Piano Concerto for the Left Hand
Jacqueline Blancard, piano
Orchestre de la Société Philharmonique de Paris

CHARLES-MARIE WIDOR (1844–1937)
2 Fantasie for Piano and Orchestra
Marcelle Herrenschmidt, piano
Orchestre de la Société Philharmonique de Paris

FRANZ JOSEPH HAYDN (1732–1809)
3–5 Sinfonia Concertante in B flat major, Hob.I:105
Roland Charmy, violin
André Navarra, cello
Fernand Oubradous, bassoon
Myrtil Morel, oboe
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris

WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART (1756–1791)
6–7 Adagio and Fugue in C minor, KV 546
Grand Symphony Orchestra
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 2*
LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN (1770–1827)
1–4 Symphony No. 8 in F major, Op. 93

FELIX MENDELSSOHN (1809–1847)
5–8 Symphony No. 5 in D minor, Op. 107 ‘Reformation’
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 3
HECTOR BERLIOZ (1803–1869)
1 Benvenuto Cellini – Overture
2–4 Roméo et Juliette, Op. 17 – Scènes
5 Les Troyens – Chasse royale et orage
6 Le Corsaire – Overture, Op. 21
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris

CD 4*
ROBERT SCHUMANN (1810–1856)
1–4 Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120

JOHANNES BRAHMS (1833–1897)
5–7 Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77
Ossy Renardy, violin (Brahms)
London Philharmonic Orchestra (Schumann)
Concertgebouworkest (Brahms)
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 5

CÉSAR FRANCK (1822–1890)
1 Variations symphoniques
2–4 Symphony in D minor

CAMILLE SAINT-SAËNS (1835–1891)
5 Le Rouet d’Omphale, Op. 31*
6 Danse macabre, Op. 40*
Eileen Joyce, piano (Franck: Variations symphoniques)
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris (Franck; Saint-Saëns: Le Rouet d’Omphale)
Concertgebouworkest (Saint-Saëns: Danse macabre)
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 6*
GEORGES BIZET (1838–1875)
1–4 Symphony in C major
5 La Jolie fille de Perth – Danse bohémienne

GABRIEL FAURÉ (1845–1924)
6–9 Pelléas et Mélisande, Op. 80 – Suite
10 Pavane, Op. 50

VINCENT D’INDY (1851–1931)
11 Fervaal, Op. 40 – Prélude (Act I)
London Philharmonic Orchestra (Bizet; Fauré: Pelléas et Mélisande)
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris (Fauré: Pavane; d’Indy)
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 7*
SERGEI PROKOFIEV (1891–1953)
1–4 Symphony No. 1 in D major, Op. 25 ‘Classical’

PIOTR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY (1840–1893)
5–8 Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 ‘Pathétique’
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 8*
CLAUDE DEBUSSY (1862–1918)
1–3 Ibéria (No. 2 of Images pour orchestra)
4 Berceuse héroïque

ALBERT ROUSSEL (1869–1937)
5–7 Petite Suite, Op. 39
8–14 Le Festin de l’araignée, Op. 17 – Fragments symphoniques
15–17 Suite in F major, Op. 33
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris (Debussy, Roussel: Petite Suite)
London Philharmonic Orchestra (Roussel: Le Festin de l’araignée, Suite in F major)
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 9
MAURICE RAVEL (1875–1937)
1–3 Piano Concerto in G major°
4–5 Daphnis et Chloé – Suite No. 1*
6–8 Daphnis et Chloé – Suite No. 2*
9 Boléro*
Nicole Henriot-Schweitzer, piano (Concerto)
L’Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire de Paris
*FIRST CD RELEASE ON DECCA
°FIRST INTERNATIONAL CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 10
JACQUES OFFENBACH (1819–1880)
Arranged by Manuel Rosenthal (1904–2003)
1–21 Gaîté Parisienne

GEORGES BIZET (1838–1875)
22–28 Carmen – Suite
New Philharmonia Orchestra

CD 11
OTTORINO RESPIGHI (1879–1936)
1–4 Pini di Roma
5–8 Fontane di Roma

GEORGES BIZET (1838–1875)
9–13 L’Arlésienne – Suite

New Philharmonia Orchestra

CD 12*
HENRY BARRAUD (1900–1997)
1–4 Symphony No. 3

ALBERT ROUSSEL (1869–1937)
5–8 Bacchus et Ariane, Op. 43 – Ballet Suite No. 2
Orchestre National de la RTF
*FIRST INTERNATIONAL CD RELEASE ON DECCA

CD 13
HECTOR BERLIOZ (1803–1869)
1–5 Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14
Hungarian Radio and Television Orchestra

6–7 Requiem, Op. 5 (Grande messe des morts) beginning

CD 14
1–8 Requiem, Op. 5 (Grande messe des morts) conclusion
Peter Schreier, tenor
Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Wolfgang Schubert, chorus master
Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
CHARLES MUNCH

- Mark O-T
drh8h
2020-03-25 03:28:20 UTC
http://youtu.be/F4B0ikkbZVk
[...]
I fear this is something I will have to order from overseas. The Van Kempen set is almost unavailable in the U.S. except for a few importers.

DH
Invocation
At first they were scheduled for April release I think. Does the current spread of coronavirus made those recordings companies postpone their release dates?
Mark Obert-Thorn
2020-03-25 15:44:44 UTC
Post by Invocation
At first they were scheduled for April release I think. Does the current spread of coronavirus made those recordings companies postpone their release dates?
That probably has something to do with it. I know that the Eloquence staff in Sydney is working from home at the moment.

Mark O-T
drh8h
2020-06-02 23:43:39 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
Post by Invocation
At first they were scheduled for April release I think. Does the current spread of coronavirus made those recordings companies postpone their release dates?
That probably has something to do with it. I know that the Eloquence staff in Sydney is working from home at the moment.
Mark O-T
Just received a copy today and working my way through it. Mark has done it again. Best transfers I have heard of any of these.

DH
Mort
2020-06-22 01:13:17 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
Thanks. I just received mine from Presto U.K.. Presto is highly reliable and helpful.

Mort Linder
drh8h
2020-06-22 14:45:25 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
Mine arrived from Presto about ten days after order. The Jochum I subsequently bought has not arrived yet after about two weeks, and Presto reports some shipments to other countries are taking a very long time. I have a small packet mailed from Germany over six weeks ago; haven't seen it yet.

Dennis
Frank Berger
2020-06-22 15:09:29 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Mort
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
My last 3 orders from Presto may have taken a little longer
than normal, but the delay seems to have been in Presto
filling and shipping it rather than the post. My Jochum box
arrrived in reasonable time.
Randy Lane
2020-06-22 15:24:21 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Mort
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
I placed a pre-order for the Barbiroli box with Presto a few weeks ago.
The box was released on Friday 06/19.
It shipped on Friday 06/19.
And it is out for delivery today.

Amazon excepted, I try to place a few large-volume orders with non-USA merchants rather than higher frequency lower volume orders. The packaging is always first-rate then, and usually for very large orders a faster shipping service is used by the merchant.
graham
2020-06-22 19:12:12 UTC
I miss MDT!
Frank Berger
2020-06-22 19:28:28 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Frank Berger
My last 3 orders from Presto may have taken a little
longer than normal, but the delay seems to have been in
Presto filling and shipping it rather than the post.  My
Jochum box arrrived in reasonable time.
I miss MDT!
I was a loyal MDT customer for years, but am so completely
satisfied with Presto that I don't miss them at all.