Sokolov's Salzburg Chopin Preludes
Add Reply
h***@btinternet.com
2014-11-04 18:40:05 UTC
This has been uploaded here

http://panovnik.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/grigory-sokolov-in-salzburg-2008-2010.html

Presumably the same recording as the one announced on DG

http://zalivalka.ru/172540
h***@btinternet.com
2014-11-04 19:23:07 UTC
The interpretation is much less perfumed and much less Brucknerian than his commercial recording and more lithe - which I think is a move in the right direction. I find it a moving interpretation, totally rapt and intense, a great musician at the hight of his powers, deep on a psychological level, an epic journey which makes me go damp eyed blah blah blah - but I seem to be very open to this music right now, and to Sokolov's art, for some reason. Right now I would say this is the most astonishing Chopin playing I've ever heard. There.
Bozo
2014-11-07 13:13:35 UTC
I respectfully disagree. Rapt , intense, yes, but with plenty of perfume, preciousness, and a sameness in conception throughout as if the 24 were all a pastiche of one color , very little of individual interest . I believe there is more darkness, variety intended here, e.g. # 22 was almost limp. Not a close contender to Cortot or Anda or even Pogorelich or Rubinstein for me, although Sokolov does properly play pianissimo the last descending arpeggio of # 24 , as almost no one does. Each to his own , of course, my ears/brain may err, thanks for bringing these recitals to our attention.
Bozo
2014-11-07 13:33:10 UTC
I respectfully disagree.
P.S. The Bach Partita was great.
George P
2014-11-07 15:50:44 UTC
Agreed.
h***@btinternet.com
2014-11-08 06:57:22 UTC
Bozo, I think you're putting your finger on something when you say that there's little of individual interest. Although I don't totally agree, I can see that he's more interested in presenting a coherent set of 24 than a series of individual gems. I think that's a strength, not a weakness.

By the way, I got hold of the "Hatto" Chopin preludes the other day. Farhan's site says they're unidentified - is that still correct?
Bozo
2014-11-08 13:51:31 UTC
The " coherent " approach may be a valid one, but the individual pieces must still be interesting , on their own merits,at least as much a concern as how they fit into the whole , on balance not often for me here. I dont know the history very well, but am of the impression the Ballades, Scherzi,Etudes,other sets were not designed to be played as a whole set, and in any event I remain unconvinced the brevity of the individual Preludes indicates a different treatment. But of course, this is Sokolov playing,not some amateur from Iowa,and his treatment of the Bach 2nd Partita , both whole and in parts, is wonderful.
George
2014-11-05 02:29:47 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
This has been uploaded here
http://panovnik.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/grigory-sokolov-in-salzburg-2008-2010.html
Presumably the same recording as the one announced on DG
http://zalivalka.ru/172540
Thanks for the link. Being a huge fan of his Naive recording, I am very interested to hear this.

Geoge
g***@begos.ca
2014-11-05 13:18:30 UTC
Don't bother with flac, same as mp3, 15KHz ceiling.

Not the same George
arri bachrach
2014-11-05 21:37:52 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
This has been uploaded here
http://panovnik.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/grigory-sokolov-in-salzburg-2008-2010.html
Presumably the same recording as the one announced on DG
http://zalivalka.ru/172540
I am very eager to hear this....... how do you download this?

Thanks,

Ab
George
pm me george attsign begos dot ca
George P
2014-11-07 15:22:14 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
This has been uploaded here
http://panovnik.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/grigory-sokolov-in-salzburg-2008-2010.html
Presumably the same recording as the one announced on DG
http://zalivalka.ru/172540
While I enjoyed it (The Chopin etudes), I can't say that I like it nearly as much as his Naive recording. Less intensity and a number of the tempo choices didn't work for me. Thanks again for sharing that.

George
g***@gmail.com
2020-10-03 05:30:08 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
This has been uploaded here
http://panovnik.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/grigory-sokolov-in-salzburg-2008-2010.html
Presumably the same recording as the one announced on DG
http://zalivalka.ru/172540
10/252020 Radio program which may be of interest:

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/