Recommendations for Liszt's Concerto in A
Richard Sauer
2007-01-10 21:22:15 UTC
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...

Rich
Gerard
2007-01-10 22:09:01 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on
Melodiya. Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings
of the Liszt to recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony
Movshon loved the Concerto in A, and once, during a live performance
with Andre Watts and the NYP in Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing
during the beautiful cello solo...
For me the obvious recommendation - after Richter - is Zimerman with Ozawa (DG),
for both Liszt concertos.
bpnjensen
2007-01-10 22:13:20 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on
Melodiya. Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings
of the Liszt to recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony
Movshon loved the Concerto in A, and once, during a live performance
with Andre Watts and the NYP in Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing
during the beautiful cello solo...
For me the obvious recommendation - after Richter - is Zimerman with Ozawa (DG),
for both Liszt concertos
I'd second these - they are really great, in good sound.

Bruce Jensen
Henk van Tuijl
2007-01-11 09:44:17 UTC
Post by bpnjensen
Post by Gerard
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and
BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on
Melodiya. Brendel on Philips I have
not heard. Any recent recordings
Former RMCR poster J. Anthony
Movshon loved the Concerto in A,
and once, during a live performance
with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing
during the beautiful cello solo...
For me the obvious recommendation -
after Richter - is Zimerman with
Ozawa (DG),
for both Liszt concertos
I'd second these - they are really
great, in good sound.
Thirded! As good as Janis and Kätchen,
but in far better sound.

Henk
Todd Schurk
2007-01-10 22:16:18 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others. Todd S.
s***@mynow.co.uk
Wrong, Cziffra!
Wiener Sänger
2007-01-12 06:14:37 UTC
Post by s***@mynow.co.uk
Post by Todd Schurk
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course
Wrong, Cziffra!
Yes, agreed, but Cziffra's recordings of the Liszt concerti are in poor
sound for the period, and are not as wild as Richter and Zimerman. The
Zimerman seems to be the one to go for, with the Boston Symphony and
Ozawa recorded with DG 4D sound. Cherkassky/BPO/Karajan in the
Hungarian Fantasy of course.

I would have liked to have Earl Wild in his younger days in the works
for piano and orchestra. There is probably a recording out there.

tomdeacon
2007-01-10 22:53:17 UTC
Post by Todd Schurk
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others.
Have you forgotten the Freire recording made for the former East German
label Berlin Classics?
This also includes a pretty wonderful Totentanz. Michel Plasson directs
the Dresden Philharmonic.

There are many others, of course, worth mentioning, particularly the
Byron Janis recordings on MLP.

TD
Alex
2007-01-11 13:42:57 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Todd Schurk
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others.
Have you forgotten the Freire recording made for the former East German
label Berlin Classics?
This also includes a pretty wonderful Totentanz. Michel Plasson directs
the Dresden Philharmonic.
I seem to recall a superb Totentanz with Freire and Kempe (Munich PO?) in
your GPOC series, or is my memory playing me false?
tomdeacon
2007-01-11 14:27:52 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Todd Schurk
Post by Richard Sauer
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others.
Have you forgotten the Freire recording made for the former East German
label Berlin Classics?
This also includes a pretty wonderful Totentanz. Michel Plasson directs
the Dresden Philharmonic.
I seem to recall a superb Totentanz with Freire and Kempe (Munich PO?) in
your GPOC series, or is my memory playing me false?
Correct. And if anything slightly better to my mind.

But as the GPE is not longer available, except at very high prices in
many cases, I didn't suggest it.

TD
David Fox
2007-01-11 16:31:20 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Richard Sauer
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Todd Schurk
Post by Richard Sauer
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others.
Have you forgotten the Freire recording made for the former East German
label Berlin Classics?
This also includes a pretty wonderful Totentanz. Michel Plasson directs
the Dresden Philharmonic.
I seem to recall a superb Totentanz with Freire and Kempe (Munich PO?) in
your GPOC series, or is my memory playing me false?
Correct. And if anything slightly better to my mind.
But as the GPE is not longer available, except at very high prices in
many cases, I didn't suggest it.
TD
The Nelson Freire Liszt concertos and the Totentanz are available on a
Brilliant Classics box of Liszt's complete works for piano and
orchestra for next to nothing.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yjkxby

DF
David Fox
2007-01-11 17:01:59 UTC
Post by David Fox
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Richard Sauer
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Todd Schurk
Post by Richard Sauer
[...]
Slight correction. The Brilliant Box has Freire's recording of
Totentanz with Plasson and Dresden, not the Kempe/Munich in the GP
collection. The 4 CD box is currently available at Berkshire for the
princely sum of $11.94.

Liszt, Piano Concerti 1 & 2; Totentanz {Nelson Freire, piano w.Dresden
Philharmonic/ Plasson}; Wanderer Fantasie {after Schubert}; Fantasia on
Hungarian Folk Tunes; Polonaise Brillante {after Weber}; Grand Fantasie
Symphonique {on Berlioz's 'Lelio'}; Fantasy on Beethoven's 'Ruins of
Athens' {Jeno Jando, piano w.Budapest Symph./ A.Ligeti}; Malediction
{Alfred Brendel, piano w.Vienna Symph./ Gielen}; De Profundis; Piano
Concerto #3. (Stephen Mayer, piano w.London Symph./ Vasary)
Add to cart | Price: $ 11.96 | 4 in set. | Country: DUTCH | D/A code:
Analogue | Code: CD 99936 | BRO Code: 126042 | Label: BRILLIANT
CLASSICS
Genre: Piano Concerti

DF
Andrej Kluge
2007-01-11 17:59:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by David Fox
Wanderer Fantasie {after Schubert};
What is this supposed to mean? A transcription of the Wanderer-Fantasie for
piano? ;-) Done by whom? Liszt?

Ciao
A.
David Fox
2007-01-11 18:29:08 UTC
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
Post by David Fox
Wanderer Fantasie {after Schubert};
What is this supposed to mean? A transcription of the Wanderer-Fantasie for
piano? ;-) Done by whom? Liszt?
Ciao
A.
It's a transcription of Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie for piano and
orchestra. It is one of Liszt' few transcriptions which is actually
easier to play than the original.

DF
Andrej Kluge
2007-01-11 18:43:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by David Fox
It's a transcription of Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie for piano and
orchestra. It is one of Liszt' few transcriptions which is actually
easier to play than the original.
Thanks very much, I didn't know this (being not much of a Liszt fan). Is
there a recording of it with Zimerman?

Ciao
A.
David Fox
2007-01-11 18:46:59 UTC
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
Post by David Fox
It's a transcription of Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie for piano and
orchestra. It is one of Liszt' few transcriptions which is actually
easier to play than the original.
Thanks very much, I didn't know this (being not much of a Liszt fan). Is
there a recording of it with Zimerman?
Ciao
A.
I don't think so. The only other recorded version I know off the top
of my head is Bolet/Solti (with the London Philharmonic?) which is
included in the 9CD Decca Bolet Liszt box and assorted London/Decca
Bolet releases.

DF
Andrej Kluge
2007-01-11 19:26:14 UTC
Hi,
The only other recorded version I know off the top of my head is
Bolet/Solti (with the London Philharmonic?) which is included in
the 9CD Decca Bolet Liszt box and assorted London/Decca Bolet releases.
I feared so (a Liszt multiple disk box)... Like I said, I don't much care
for Liszt, but this one I would like to hear out of interest. Well, maybe
there's a download somewhere.

Thanks and Ciao
A.
David Fox
2007-01-11 20:45:38 UTC
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
The only other recorded version I know off the top of my head is
Bolet/Solti (with the London Philharmonic?) which is included in
the 9CD Decca Bolet Liszt box and assorted London/Decca Bolet releases.
I feared so (a Liszt multiple disk box)... Like I said, I don't much care
for Liszt, but this one I would like to hear out of interest. Well, maybe
there's a download somewhere.
Thanks and Ciao
A.
Truth be told, I vastly prefer the original (Schubert) setting. The
Schubert-Liszt Wanderer is worth hearing once as a curiosity. A
download is probably the way to go. Though, if you don't have the
Freire selections discussed above, they are more than worth the $12 it
requires to buy the entire Brilliant Box. You get the Schubert-Liszt
Wanderer and three other discs of Liszt thrown in for the bargain.

DF
Alan Briker
2007-01-11 20:00:11 UTC
Louis Lortie has recorded this for Chandos. I also believe it is included in
Leslie Howard's Hyperion series.

On 1/11/07 1:46 PM, in article
Post by David Fox
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
DF
Aage Johansen
2007-01-13 21:14:51 UTC
Post by David Fox
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
Post by David Fox
It's a transcription of Schubert's Wanderer-Fantasie for piano and
orchestra. It is one of Liszt' few transcriptions which is actually
easier to play than the original.
Thanks very much, I didn't know this (being not much of a Liszt fan). Is
there a recording of it with Zimerman?
Ciao
A.
I don't think so. The only other recorded version I know off the top
of my head is Bolet/Solti (with the London Philharmonic?) which is
included in the 9CD Decca Bolet Liszt box and assorted London/Decca
Bolet releases.
DF
Brendel has recorded it, with Gielen conducting "Vienna Volksoper".
Coupled with Totentanz and Czardas macabre (on Turnabout Vox).
Aage J.
Royke
2007-01-13 21:45:06 UTC
Back to the original thread:

Does anyone remember Pierre-Alain Volondat's performance in the finals of
the Queen Elisabeth competion, early eighties? I was on the edge of my
chair, literally. Good example of how a not-that-great artist can deliver
the odd great performance.
Gerard
2007-01-13 21:56:59 UTC
Post by Royke
Does anyone remember Pierre-Alain Volondat's performance in the
finals of the Queen Elisabeth competion, early eighties? I was on the
edge of my chair, literally. Good example of how a not-that-great
artist can deliver the odd great performance.
I must have seen that on TV. But I don't remember anything of it (except
Volondat looking like a zombie).
Philip Peters
2007-01-14 00:21:39 UTC
Post by Royke
Does anyone remember Pierre-Alain Volondat's performance in the finals of
the Queen Elisabeth competion, early eighties? I was on the edge of my
chair, literally. Good example of how a not-that-great artist can deliver
the odd great performance.
I'll never forget it. He mesmerized the audience. He seemed a mad
genius. Afterwards he turned out to be a third rate pianist as his
teachers in Paris already knew....

Philip
francis
2007-01-16 14:14:48 UTC
Norman M. Schwartz
2007-01-16 16:33:55 UTC
"francis" <***@aol.com> wrote in message news:***@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
I didn't see mentined a very fine recording of both concertos,
originally made in 1980 by Jorge Bolet
and the Rochester Philharmonic under David Zinman. It's been available
in several CD editions, but is not out-of-print. A copy happens to be
available on ebay right now.

Kocsis/Ivan Fischer/Budapest FO, Philips 422380 (and while I'm at it I
mentioned the Bolet/Zinman). The Kocsis is a bit "over the top" IMO, but
welcome in music of this type.
Hi,
Aage J.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
Andrej Kluge
2007-01-16 16:50:29 UTC
Hi,
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
The Kocsis is a bit "over the top" IMO,
What would that mean, excactly?

Ciao
A.
Paul Ilechko
2007-01-16 17:31:30 UTC
Post by Andrej Kluge
Hi,
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
The Kocsis is a bit "over the top" IMO,
What would that mean, excactly?
It leaps out of the trenches, runs through no-man's land, and gets shot
at by Germans.
Frank Berger
Not likely. Germans are pacifists these days.
Andrej Kluge
2007-01-16 19:07:42 UTC
Hi,
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by Andrej Kluge
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
The Kocsis is a bit "over the top" IMO,
What would that mean, excactly?
It leaps out of the trenches, runs through no-man's land, and gets
shot at by Germans.
Thanks, but actually my question was serious.

Does he play too fast? (this I could imagine) Inaccurately? Agogically?
(those I couln't imagine)

Ciao
A.
Norman M. Schwartz
Not to be forgotten, Jorge Bolet. MMG MCD 10069
n***@thump.org
2007-01-11 21:02:01 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:50:33 -0500, "Norman M. Schwartz"
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by Todd Schurk
Why-the greatest Liszt player of the last century of course, Claudio
Arrau on Philips w/Colin Davis & the London symphony. And yes, I've
heard the Richters and most all of the others. Todd S.
Not to be forgotten, Jorge Bolet. MMG MCD 10069
Neither forget Cziffra / Vandernoot - my favourite recording along
side a wild Ogdon / Davis from the Proms 1973 (?) that was once on
some defunct BBC Label. Maybe it reappearred again ? Either way both
performances are really intense and exciting without being superficial
in any way.
AG
2007-01-11 14:50:09 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
.........the john ogdon performance released on BBC legends.

AG
Alexandros Rigas
2007-01-11 15:28:12 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
I love the Richters the Janis at Mercury, and above all, the ones with
the great Lazar Berman (Giulini, Vienna Symphony, DG).

Alex
Athens
n***@thump.org
2007-01-11 21:04:14 UTC
On 11 Jan 2007 07:28:12 -0800, "Alexandros Rigas"
Post by Alexandros Rigas
great Lazar Berman (Giulini, Vienna Symphony, DG).
He's such a bore - everything he played sounds the same flashy
superficial nonsense . I gave up with Berman after trawling my way
through the Brilliant box set and realising he's got no musical ideas
at all, only technique. Give me Gilels any time!
David Fox
2007-01-11 16:55:50 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
The first part of the Liszt #2 does have some beautiful moments, but
the coda may be the single most insipid, cringe-worthy piece of music
Liszt ever composed (which is saying something).

DF
JohnGavin
2007-01-13 15:17:29 UTC
Post by David Fox
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
Rich
The first part of the Liszt #2 does have some beautiful moments, but
the coda may be the single most insipid, cringe-worthy piece of music
Liszt ever composed (which is saying something).
DF
Frankly, the PC#1 as well wears pretty thin for me very quickly.
Totentanz is well written enough to be effective as a show piece, but
the Liszt PCs have a sort of dated quality, despite some beautiful
moments.
Paul J
2007-01-13 06:41:30 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
I have the 2 Richters (Philips and BBC) and the Lev Vlasenko on Melodiya.
Brendel on Philips I have not heard. Any recent recordings of the Liszt to
recommend? Note: Former RMCR poster J. Anthony Movshon loved the Concerto
in A, and once, during a live performance with Andre Watts and the NYP in
Avery Fisher Hall, he began sobbing during the beautiful cello solo...
It's not particularly recent, but I think Ivan Davis has a way with the
Liszt Concertos that's very compelling.

P.J.
Curtis Croulet
2007-01-13 07:14:32 UTC
Post by Paul J
It's not particularly recent, but I think Ivan Davis has a way with the
Liszt Concertos that's very compelling.
Wow! Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time!
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California
33°27'59"N, 117°05'53"W
unknown
2007-01-13 07:48:46 UTC
Post by Curtis Croulet
Post by Paul J
It's not particularly recent, but I think Ivan Davis has a way with the
Liszt Concertos that's very compelling.
Wow! Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time!
Maybe TD will explain to us what happened to his pal's recording
career, which did have a promising start, but seemed to fizzle out with
no particular reason that I know of. The man could play, so that
shouldn't be the issue.

wr
Tony Overington
2007-01-16 21:38:04 UTC
Yakov Fliere (or Fliyer or Flier) / Kondrashin - live 1973 on Globe.
Better than Richter, Fliere was famous for his Liszt. And this *after*
his hand injury.