Ashkenazy...Debussy Preludes I and II
Add Reply
Rich Sauer
2018-10-31 01:48:09 UTC

Trailer for a new release Nov 16 2018. Ashkenazy just keeps on going...an amazing career.

Rich Sauer
HT
2018-10-31 10:05:38 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Trailer for a new release Nov 16 2018. Ashkenazy just keeps on going...an amazing career.
Thanks! As you say, what an amazing career.

French music and Ashkenazy is a strange combination, remembering his Ravel.I'm curious but have to hear more before I decide to buy his Debussy.

2018-10-31 13:36:45 UTC
Incredible career, huge piano repertoire and conductor as well. Consider that Ashkenazy performed the Prokofiev PC 2 with the New York Philharmonic in 1957.

But considering that Debussy said that he composed for a piano “without hammers” Ashkenazy would be the last pianist I would cast in this music. Also, there is such stiff competition in these pieces. Still, I look forward to hearing these.
Steve Choe
2018-10-31 16:08:36 UTC
Of his piano recordings, is there anything that stands out? He isn't mentioned much in this newsgroup, from what I can remember.
HT
2018-10-31 16:35:17 UTC
Post by Steve Choe
Of his piano recordings, is there anything that stands out? He isn't mentioned much in this newsgroup, from what I can remember.
Everything he recorded before his Mussorgsky in 1969. All his Rachmaninoff. He's one of the more interesting Rachmaninoff interpreters.

2018-10-31 18:28:07 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Steve Choe
Of his piano recordings, is there anything that stands out? He isn't
mentioned much in this newsgroup, from what I can remember.
Everything he recorded before his Mussorgsky in 1969. All his Rachmaninoff.
He's one of the more interesting Rachmaninoff interpreters.
Seconded on his Rachmaninoff, my favorite is his two-piano four hands
works with Previn. I may be alone in this, but I like his London Chopin
etudes.

2018-10-31 18:48:45 UTC
Post by O
I may be alone in this, but I like his London Chopin
etudes.
-Owen
Dontcha fret, you're not alone.
dk
2018-11-01 16:00:46 UTC
Post by O
I may be alone in this, but I like his London Chopin
etudes.
Dontcha fret, you're not alone.
London as in "recorded in London"? Or
as in "issued on the London label"?
These are different performances!

2018-11-01 16:16:58 UTC
Relying on memory - I’d say that Askenazy’s earlier mono recording from the late 50s is the better of the 2. The London / Decca recording struck me as percussive and punchy. In the time since those recordings there has been some major competition. I regret not hearing the Pollini recording on Testament which disappeared quickly! Conchieva is interesting too.
Frank Berger
2018-11-01 16:36:30 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Relying on memory - I’d say that Askenazy’s earlier mono recording from the late 50s is the better of the 2. The London / Decca recording struck me as percussive and punchy. In the time since those recordings there has been some major competition. I regret not hearing the Pollini recording on Testament which disappeared quickly! Conchieva is interesting too.
I don't recall ever coming across Pollini/Debussy on Testament, only DG.
Googling turned up nothing. Are you sure? His Chopin Etudes from 1960
appeared on Testament.
Herman
2018-11-01 19:26:28 UTC
He's talking about the Chopin Etudes.
Herman
2018-11-01 19:28:03 UTC
Typically, famous non-French pianists only start playing (or recording) Debussy when they've gone through the rest of the repertoire.
dk
2018-11-01 22:09:15 UTC
I don't recall ever coming across Pollini/Debussy on
Testament, only DG. Googling turned up nothing. Are
you sure? His Chopin Etudes from 1960 appeared on
Testament.
Typically, famous non-French pianists only start
playing (or recording) Debussy when they've gone
through the rest of the repertoire.
Gieseking? Michelangeli? Horowitz? Richter? Viardo?
Ciccolini? Tipo? Ciani?

Not to mention everybody and their next of kin play
Clair de Lune! ;-)

What French repertoire has Maria Tipo recorded? I’d be very interested in that. She would be excellent, I’m sure.
piano4tay
2018-11-02 07:27:13 UTC
I've never heard this but would love to: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17623902?q&versionId=20670707

I don't know of any other recordings of French music byTipo either....

AMN
HT
2018-11-02 10:27:39 UTC
Post by piano4tay
I've never heard this but would love to: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17623902?q&versionId=20670707
I don't know of any other recordings of French music byTipo either....
Seconded!

Henk
jrsnfld
2018-11-02 19:25:14 UTC
Post by HT
Post by piano4tay
I've never heard this but would love to: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17623902?q&versionId=20670707
I don't know of any other recordings of French music byTipo either....
Seconded!
Henk
Perhaps she's been unfairly "Tipo-cast".

https://www.discogs.com/Maurice-Ravel-Maria-Tipo-Alessandro-Specchi-Maurice-Ravel/release/8318506

--Jeff
jrsnfld
2018-11-02 19:34:18 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by HT
Post by piano4tay
I've never heard this but would love to: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17623902?q&versionId=20670707
I don't know of any other recordings of French music byTipo either....
Seconded!
Henk
Perhaps she's been unfairly "Tipo-cast".
https://www.discogs.com/Maurice-Ravel-Maria-Tipo-Alessandro-Specchi-Maurice-Ravel/release/8318506
--Jeff
Hmmm. Not just a fluke, there:

Here she was in "Alborado":

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/03/arts/maria-tipo-is-back-why-did-she-dally.html

And "Le Tombeau":

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17623902?q&versionId=20670707

Also, several web addresses claim to have an mp3 of a 1983 performance of Saint-Saens PC 5 with Tipo and RAI Napoli.

--Jeff
c***@gmail.com
2018-11-04 11:55:44 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Also, several web addresses claim to have an mp3 of a 1983 performance of Saint-Saens PC 5 with Tipo and RAI Napoli.
27.5.1983 with RAI Napoli/Franco Caracciolo

Was on youtube, a lot of interesting stuff has recently been removed from the channel in question, quite rightly as far as copyright law is concerned, one just wishes RAI would find a way of making these things available itself (streaming, for example)
Frank Berger
2018-11-01 19:32:36 UTC
I don't recall ever coming across Pollini/Debussy on Testament, only DG.
Googling turned up nothing. Are you sure? His Chopin Etudes from 1960
appeared on Testament.
He's talking about the Chopin Etudes.
Silly me....thinking he was talking about something in the subject of
the thread.
2018-11-02 19:06:57 UTC
Post by O
I may be alone in this, but I like his London Chopin
etudes.
Dontcha fret, you're not alone.
London as in "recorded in London"? Or
as in "issued on the London label"?
These are different performances!
On the London label, which I imprinted on.

-Owen
j***@gmail.com
2018-11-02 20:54:30 UTC
Thanks for pointing this out, Rich. I'll certainly be buying.

Jonathan Dunsby
JohnGavin

Yet another addition to the LPs that should be transferred to CD list. All of Maria Tipo’s Ricordi releases, including this 2 Piano Ravel and her Ricordi Scarlatti. Her Clementi Sonatas are available on Spotify.
Théo Amon
2018-11-06 11:04:53 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
http://youtu.be/TUu5Z7gyjbE
Trailer for a new release Nov 16 2018. Ashkenazy just keeps on going...an amazing career.
Rich Sauer
Ashkenazy's Scriabin is amazing too. Still my favourite sonata cycle.

Also: Prokofiev concertos, anything by Rachmaninov