What is the slowest Schumann Toccata?
Add Reply
Mandryka
2020-06-22 08:53:06 UTC
Lhévinne maybe, at 5.31?

It's the only one I know which can stand, so I'm hoping to discover more performances which turn it into something interesting for me to hear.
f***@gmail.com
2020-06-22 10:53:30 UTC
Pogorelich: about 8.30

vhorowitz
2020-06-22 11:58:35 UTC
Don’t forget to account for whether the repeat is taken in comparing running times. Cziffra is under 5 minutes but the repeat is omitted, for example.
Mandryka
2020-06-23 09:51:55 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Pogorelich: about 8.30
http://youtu.be/jaYpiCgCBX4
That is terrible!
dk
2020-06-28 02:54:02 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Pogorelich: about 8.30
http://youtu.be/jaYpiCgCBX4
Bernhard Ruchti:

Wait .... it's the encore!

2020-06-28 16:12:29 UTC
Bernhard Ruchti:

http://youtu.be/IX3qw2MWrD0

Wait .... it's the encore!

dk

It’s so m—u—-s—-I——--c———a————l

But seriously Lhevinne pulled of the Toccata brilliantly - Mr. Pogorelich and Ruchti don’t convince, Just one opinion.
Mandryka
2020-06-28 16:43:16 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Pogorelich: about 8.30
http://youtu.be/jaYpiCgCBX4
http://youtu.be/IX3qw2MWrD0
Wait .... it's the encore!
dk
Well I can't find the toccata, but I was glad to have heard the Fantasy. Thanks Dan, you know your 19th century piano music!
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-06-28 20:56:17 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by dk
Post by f***@gmail.com
Pogorelich: about 8.30
http://youtu.be/jaYpiCgCBX4
http://youtu.be/IX3qw2MWrD0
Wait .... it's the encore!
Hi again , I have found my Friedrich Wuhrer CD copy I made of the Toccata and have downloaded it as a zip file. If you want it I can forward as an email.
Russ (not Martha)
2020-06-22 18:11:32 UTC
Mine . . . Oh wait, you probably meant commercial recordings!

Russ (not Martha)
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-06-22 18:38:09 UTC
Can someone help me here. I have been a collector Friedrich Wuhrer's recordings for the last 30 years and I think I have all the commercial ones. Around 15 years ago I acquired Wuhrer's recording of Schumann's Toccata Op 7. It's on a 12 inch German Electrola 78 and recorded electrically around the mid 1930s I would say. I have never been able to track it's existence anywhere. I have looked on every discography and asked the UK National Sound Archive including the BBC for help. Neither have been able to.Is what I have unique or not ?.I cannot give a record number as all my collection is stored in a warehouse pending moving.
Russ (not Martha)
2020-06-23 20:50:54 UTC
My copy of the original volume of Clough & Cuming's WERM shows F. Wührer doing the Schumann Toccata on Gramophone Co. (HMV) EH 1291 - takes 2 sides so Wührer either takes the repeat or plays the thing real slow.

Hope this helps.

Russ (not Martha)
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-06-24 07:42:43 UTC
Fantastic thanks for the info. I played a cd transfer I made when I got the 78 he does the repeat.
Mandryka
Oooo, I’d love to hear it! That’s a coded way of asking if you could upload a transfer!
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-06-27 10:41:12 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
My copy of the original volume of Clough & Cuming's WERM shows F. Wührer doing the Schumann Toccata on Gramophone Co. (HMV) EH 1291 - takes 2 sides so Wührer either takes the repeat or plays the thing real slow.
Hope this helps.
Russ (not Martha)
Fantastic thanks for the info. I played a cd transfer I made when I got the 78 he does the repeat.
Oooo, I’d love to hear it! That’s a coded way of asking if you could upload a transfer!
I will eventually when my belongings come out of storage.
Thanks.