Recommend: Scheherazade
2020-11-06 04:12:26 UTC
Provoked by this long-running thread, I have been hauling out all my
Scheherezades and checking them out. A week or so of listening (you
can overdose on Scheherezade, by the way ...) reveals that for me, two
recordings are head-and-shoulders above the rest. They are
Ansermet/OSR, on a Decca/London double
Beecham/RPO, on EMI
These performances are the only two which really seem to "get" the
idiomatic swing, ebb and flow of the music, without deforming it or
overexpressing it. Honorable mention goes to
Mackerras/LSO on Telarc
which is also really very good. And I quite enjoyed making a
reacquaintance of
Jansons/LPO on EMI
though ultimately I decided that Jansons' choices of tempo, rubato and
accent sounded artifical. Surprisingly, this concentrated listening
led me to reduce my enthusiasm for three classic recordings
Reiner/CSO on RCA -- too stiff and starchy
Monteux/LSO on Decca/London -- too driven
Stokowski/LSO on Decca/London -- just a tad overdone at every
point, though occasionally *very* effective
Comparing Reiner, Kondrashin and Stokowski, someone on Youtube commented:

- The Reiner is crisp, aggressive and very excting. But it also sounds a bit mechanical, as if the orchestra are not fully involved and self-consciously playing the music at one step removed from it. By contrast, the Kondrashin is like Method Acting. The orchestra ARE the music, with the music seeming to play itself. It sounds sensuous, natural, expressive, but on the mellow side, perhaps even a little flabby. The BEST for me is this [1964,LSO] version, Stokowski's. The recording and the orchestral playing are spectacular. There are magical moments aplenty, with moments of tension, sizzle and manifest delight tumbling after each other all the way through. The instruments are all recorded very forwardly but rather than sounding aggressive they sound resplendent.

(On Youtube):

Rimsky Korsakov - Scheherazade + Presentation (reference recording : Leopold Stokowski)
dk
2020-11-06 05:21:46 UTC
[...]
Celibidache:

Leif Segerstam:

Ditch the others.

dk
MELMOTH
2020-11-06 10:18:42 UTC
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-11-06 12:48:15 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
Schwarz/Seattle is excellent. Tight, crisp, and weighty. No taffying the music around like melted caramel. I have Kondrashin and it just passes muster, and to be honest, is a bit of a bore.

Ray Hall, Taree
Kerrison
2020-11-06 17:28:05 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
Schwarz/Seattle is excellent. Tight, crisp, and weighty. No taffying the music around like melted caramel. I have Kondrashin and it just passes muster, and to be honest, is a bit of a bore.
Ray Hall, Taree
Cala reissued the Stokowski / LSO / Phase-4 recording and several reviewers did a comparison with the original Decca release, concluding that Cala did a far better job in their re-mastering ...

g***@gmail.com
2020-11-06 17:18:17 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
?Monteux I" = this?:

https://www.ebay.com/i/303607770956?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=303607770956&targetid=935083617267&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9030961&poi=&campaignid=10877145534&mkgroupid=107338199899&rlsatarget=pla-935083617267&abcId=9300400&merchantid=114153485&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3E8LcBSsmzfniYft9mke8Qx2KqgEh1JyF8DgITTrol58t15do_t54aAl44EALw_wcB
MELMOTH
2020-11-06 17:43:00 UTC
Monteux I (mono) :

https://www.amazon.fr/Scheherazade-anglais-Pierre-Monteux/dp/B000003FLU/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=monteux+scheherazade&qid=1604684450&s=music&sr=1-10

Monteux II (stereo) :

https://www.amazon.fr/Rimsky-Korsakov-Sheherazade-Ernest-Ansermet/dp/B00000E3QA/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=monteux+scheherazade&qid=1604684450&s=music&sr=1-9
dk
2020-11-06 18:09:03 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
you must be living in the Paleozoic....

dk
MELMOTH
2020-11-06 23:29:57 UTC
you must be living in the Paleozoic....
No...Bedore the Big Bang...
Precious Roy
2020-11-06 23:46:20 UTC
So if I recommend as my favorite, which I do, the Koussevitzky/Boston broadcast, I'm living earlier than before the Big Bang ... I should report my findings to some physicist. (broadcast is on Symphonyshare)
g***@gmail.com
2020-11-07 05:34:37 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
you must be living in the Paleozoic....
No...Bedore the Big Bang...
So if I recommend as my favorite, which I do, the Koussevitzky/Boston broadcast, I'm living earlier than before the Big Bang ... I should report my findings to some physicist. (broadcast is on Symphonyshare)
Is this it? (2020 Youtube upload):

Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade", Richard Burgin (vl.), Koussevitzky/B.S.O., late 1940s live restored
Precious Roy
2020-11-07 16:22:02 UTC
Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade", Richard Burgin (vl.), Koussevitzky/B.S.O., late 1940s live restored
That's it; 3 December 1946. I also recommend the seldom mentioned (mono) Dobrowen/Philharmonia
and in stereo:
Beecham/RPO,
Maazel/Cleveland.
dk
2020-11-07 19:37:05 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
Post by g***@gmail.com
Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade", Richard Burgin (vl.), Koussevitzky/B.S.O., late 1940s live restored
That's it; 3 December 1946. I also recommend the seldom mentioned (mono) Dobrowen/Philharmonia
Beecham/RPO,
Maazel/Cleveland.
Sorry guys, these are soporific
readings. Leif Segerstam rules! ;-)

2020-11-27 05:46:16 UTC
Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade", Richard Burgin (vl.), Koussevitzky/B.S.O., late 1940s live restored
That's it; 3 December 1946. I also recommend the seldom mentioned (mono) Dobrowen/Philharmonia...
That has come out on cd:

https://www.books.com.tw/products/0020153462
gggg gggg
2020-11-27 05:49:37 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by g***@gmail.com
Rimsky-Korsakov: "Sheherazade", Richard Burgin (vl.), Koussevitzky/B.S.O., late 1940s live restored
That's it; 3 December 1946. I also recommend the seldom mentioned (mono) Dobrowen/Philharmonia...
https://www.books.com.tw/products/0020153462
According to the following:

- A telling comparison Issay Dobrowen and the Philharmonia play Scheherazade (London LP cover) is found in a 1953 recording by Issay Dobrowen, a compatriot and nearly an exact contemporary of Golovanov, but who left Russian permanently in 1922 to base his career in Scandinavia. In lieu of the raw excitement of the Bolshoi Orchestra, his disc with the English Philharmonia Orchestra reflects the trademark smooth sound of that ensemble. The score provides ample opportunity to highlight the Philharmonia's fine crop of soloists, who produce lovely flights of exquisite tone quality that the recording mix enables to stand out from the overall body of sound, yet even they generally lack much character (including the unidentified violin soloist, possibly Manoug Parikian, the Philharmonia's concertmaster at the time). Dobrowen generates a fair degree of excitement with bold tempo variation between major segments and some prominent string accents, but overall his conception is far more "Westernized" and mellow when compared to that of Golovanov.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics2/rimsky.html
gggg gggg
2020-11-27 05:58:10 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
According to this:

- Like Rimsky, Hermann Scherchen was largely self-taught and thus perhaps had a special appreciation for the composer's achievement. Although his studio output is frustratingly uneven and he cranked out many merely dutiful assignments, his 1957 Westminster Scheherazade with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra (now on DG), while often overlooked, is truly provocative, constantly challenging conventional readings with deeply heartfelt insight. The ensemble can get shaky and the percussion in the third and fourth movements is outrageously loud, but the flaws draw you in and force you to work with him. Scherchen constantly focuses attention on the components, so that each section radiates its own personality. Not every choice seems to work, but this recording can grip even the most jaded listener into hearing Scheherazade anew, joining Scherchen as he dares to blaze new paths with searching intelligence...

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics2/rimsky.html
gggg gggg
2020-11-27 16:05:15 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by MELMOTH
*Monteux I and II*...
*Scherchen*...
[...]
That is on Youtube:

Rimsky-Korsakov : Scheherazade - Director Hermann Scherchen - Op. 35 - HD
gggg gggg
2020-12-01 03:26:26 UTC
I agree that the Kirill Kondrashin and the Concertgebouw Orchestra
recording on Philips is the best.
However, it is out of print.
Mike
(Recent Youtube upload):

Rimsky-Korsakov: "Scheherazade" Kondrashin/Concertgebouw 1979 restored