New Ginette Neveu Complete Recordings 4CD on Warners
2019-08-09 08:05:18 UTC
Listening now to this newly-issued set on AppleMusic. The Brahms VC suffers from constructed sound in first movement tuttis. It sounds like worn pressings, destroyed grooves. And one side join, in particular, at 04:23 of the Adagio is conspicuously ugly. I was looking forward to this set, but it’s not sounding very good to me. New shellac transfers (perhaps some orig. metal parts from Hayes?) effected at Studio Art & Son, Annecy. Interested to hear opinions from our historical gurus and aficionados. P.S. Re performance, I forgot how scrappy the Philharmonia plays for Issay Dobrowen here, esp. in the Rondo. My favorite is still Efrem Zimbalist and the BSO “under the baton” of Serge Koussevitzky, Live in concert on March 30, 1946. The cadenza is to die for.

Official label blurb:

<< The French violinist Ginette Neveu was just 30 when her plane crashed in the Azores in October 1949. She had studied with George Enescu and Carl Flesch, and as The Observer wrote in 1945, “Her playing was superbly vigorous and passionate, and made the impression that its great qualities, such as eloquent phrasing and an apparently limitless range and variety of tone, came from the only true source – an identity with the music and with her instrument.” Her complete recordings, specially remastered from the best sources available, are gathered on these four CDs, with her incandescent Sibelius Concerto taking pride of place.

• 2019 marks the centenary of Ginette Neveu’s birth.

• Newly remastered in 24-bit/96kHz from the best sources available by Studio Art & Son, Annecy.

• All recording details are presented in the booklet in a table with date, matrix number, take number (where known), original catalogue number, date, venue and source used for the present box.

• French violinist Ginette Neveu studied with George Enescu and Carl Flesch and rapidly built an international carrier and reputation. She died aged just 30 with her brother Jean Neveu in a plane which tragically crashed in the Azores in October 1949.

• “Her playing was superbly vigorous and passionate, and made the impression that its great qualities, such as eloquent phrasing and an apparently limitless range and variety of tone, came from the only true source – an identity with the music and with her instrument.” The Observer, 1945

• The present box gathers the complete studio recordings done by Ginette Neveu and contains the first CD reissue in the West of Ion Scărlătescu’s Bagatelle. >>

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8624802--ginette-neveu-the-complete-recordings
Precious Roy
2019-08-09 17:47:46 UTC
I bought the CD set, and I had the same reaction -- in the Brahms concerto, the sound of the violin is now very ugly. Rather hear the A. Griffiths transfer on the old EMI References CD. I didn't listen any further so can't comment on the Sibelius etc. What an opportunity wasted! By the way the booklet tries, somewhat, to give details on what source material the transfers used, but in some cases it just says "1969 transfer" -- from what, we are not told, and from what is really the important part.
Precious Roy
2019-08-09 17:48:54 UTC
(Or was it a Keith Hardwick transfer?)
Oscar
2019-08-09 18:32:23 UTC
Probably Hardwick. Griffith was a master and his World LP transfers are still favorites of mine.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-09 19:02:59 UTC
Post by Oscar
Probably Hardwick. Griffith was a master and his World LP transfers are still favorites of mine.
I notice that the Warner set is available as a 96/24 d/l. Would that make any difference? The best-sounding copies of Neveu's Brahms and Sibelius VCs that I have heard are the Japanese GROC LPs. Having said that, donning my fireproof suit and sentimentality be damned, I've never found the EMIs so all-fired great. (The best of them, imo, are the wonderful Debussy Sonata and Suk 4 Pieces with her brother accompanying.) OTOH, the live 1948 Brahms VC with Schmidt-Isserstedt/NDR is breathtaking--far better played and conducted than the EMI, and a much more fitting tribute to the artist.

AC
drh8h
2019-08-10 20:06:13 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
(Or was it a Keith Hardwick transfer?)
The LP version was definitely Hardwick. Both concertos crammed onto one record. I remember the volume was low, esp. the Brahms. Probably a DMM disc. Those could be great but one scratch or foreign matter embedded could take out the best part of a movement, the grooves were so close.

DH
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-10 22:45:30 UTC
The Japanese GROC LPs devote one record to the Brahms VC and another to Sibelius VC + Suk 4 Pieces. Any information about the engineering would be in the all-Japanese insert.

AC
drh8h
2019-08-11 11:56:12 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
The Japanese GROC LPs devote one record to the Brahms VC and another to Sibelius VC + Suk 4 Pieces. Any information about the engineering would be in the all-Japanese insert.
AC
I was referencing the References lp. (Dr. Johnson would have exploded with that sentence!) Don't know about the JP issue.

DH
Oscar
2019-08-21 22:33:07 UTC
I have been told the following re transfers in this new box:

<< They have made a choice for each between metals from originals or 1957/1969/1980 tape transfers. >>

I have asked for confirmation and will report back.
Frank Berger
2019-08-21 23:10:31 UTC
Post by Oscar
<< They have made a choice for each between metals from originals or 1957/1969/1980 tape transfers. >>
I have asked for confirmation and will report back.
Someone earlier trashed the transfers on this set, if I remember correctly.