6th...
Add Reply
MELMOTH13
2020-07-26 15:55:14 UTC
Naxos: concert of *October 29 1928*...

Whoever does not know this live recording of La Pahétique by Toscanini
simply does not know this symphony!...Even if he knows Mravinsly's DG
recording ((or all the other recordings of Toscacini himself !)... by
heart...
Absolutely fabulous...
MELMOTH13

Frank Berger
You mean 1938, right?
MELMOTH13
2020-07-26 19:09:42 UTC
You mean 1938, right?
Yes...But I don't think the disc is still available...
Frank Berger
2020-07-26 20:14:01 UTC
There affordable used copies on E-bay.
MELMOTH13
2020-07-26 21:23:13 UTC
There affordable used copies on E-bay.
Look out ! ...Not to be confused with the recording of February of the
same year...
Frank Berger
2020-07-26 22:46:09 UTC
The one I bought says its Oct. 29. Naxos 8.110825
RANDY WOLFGANG
That was his first performance of the work with the NBC. The November 15, 1947 broadcast is virtually the same interpretation as the studio recordingg from the same year (November 24) but I actually prefer the sound of the broadcast.
MELMOTH13
2020-07-27 06:55:06 UTC
The one I bought says its Oct. 29.  Naxos 8.110825
OK...
https://www.amazon.fr/Piotr-Ilyich-Tcha-kovsky-TCHAIKOVSKY/dp/B01KAR20QO/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=toscanini+pathetique&qid=1595832766&s=music&sr=1-3-catcorr
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-27 19:46:43 UTC
Any recs for a stereo recording of this piece?

C.
Raymond Hall
2020-07-27 20:38:11 UTC
-Any recs for a stereo recording of this piece?

-C.

Mravinsky is very intense, and for better sound there is Pletnev in a more controlled way, although 'control' is a very subjective term with this work.

Ray Hall, Taree
v***@protonmail.com
Knowing my own biases it sounds like Pletnev would be a good place to start- thank you!
Gerard
2020-07-28 09:34:16 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
-Any recs for a stereo recording of this piece?
-C.
Mravinsky is very intense, and for better sound there is Pletnev in a more
controlled way, although 'control' is a very subjective term with this
work.
Ray Hall, Taree
Knowing my own biases it sounds like Pletnev would be a good place to start-
thank you!

There are 3 recordings by Pletnev (Virgin, DG, TentaTone). They are fine.
Mravinsky has been mentioned: very fine.
Fricsay has made a stereo recording (maybe hard to find, but it is in a DG
box I [resume): really very fine ;-)
I didn't hear the recent recording by Kyril Petrenko (with the Berliner). It
seems to be exceptional, but rather expensive.
Currentzis is quite exceptional as well.
Karajan liked to make recordings of this piece; he did very well (but his -
last - recording with the Wierner seems to be unrecommendable).
There are more fine or very fine recordings.
v***@protonmail.com
Thanks for all this additional info, and I'll likely look for the Fricsay recording as well.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-28 20:12:40 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]
Has anyone heard this Markevitch recording?

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=541266
Gerard
2020-07-28 20:48:06 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]

Sure, a fine recording as well, but not a "top choice".
It was reissued with the other Tchaikovsky symphonies on 2 Philips Duo
twofers. Later reissued on Newton Classics.
See
https://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Symphonies-London-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B004AB2F4E/
review at:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/Jan12/Tchaikovsky_Symphonies_8802036.htm
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-28 20:23:30 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]
I'm a big Fricsay fan although I can't stand the last three Tchaikovsky symphonies. Nevertheless, as Gerard suggested, Fricsay's 1953 mono and 1959 stereo recordings for DG both were reissued in this box: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8052518--ferenc-fricsay-complete-recordings-on-dg-vol-1-orchestral-works-part-3. The latter also was reissued in the Fricsay "Original Masters" box. The contents of the boxes are downloadable individually in lossless format. If I wanted to listen to a Fricsay performance of the Pathétique I'd opt for the live one on Orfeo because it is coupled with a superb Bartók PC#3 with Annie Fischer. Worth the price of the disc (or download) on its own.

AC
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-28 20:34:33 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]
Thank you, that's very helpful.

C.
Sol L. Siegel
2020-07-31 22:43:39 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Knowing my own biases it sounds like Pletnev would be a good place to start- thank you!
There are 3 recordings by Pletnev (Virgin, DG, TentaTone). They are
fine. Mravinsky has been mentioned: very fine.
Fricsay has made a stereo recording (maybe hard to find, but it is in
a DG box I [resume): really very fine ;-)
I didn't hear the recent recording by Kyril Petrenko (with the
Berliner). It seems to be exceptional, but rather expensive.
Currentzis is quite exceptional as well.
Karajan liked to make recordings of this piece; he did very well (but
his - last - recording with the Wierner seems to be unrecommendable).
There are more fine or very fine recordings.
For a broader interpretation, I would add Giulini's first go, with
the Philharmonia (1959), a real beauty. I haven't heard his LA
remake but a live performance from around that time was
disappointing.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
2020-08-01 14:23:52 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
[...]
I wholeheartedly agree about the 1959 Giulini, with the Philharmonia at its peak. This has a nobility that many others (Mravinsky, for instance) miss, without stinting on the deep emotion.

Mark M
v***@protonmail.com
2020-08-02 15:43:57 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
For a broader interpretation, I would add Giulini's first go, with
the Philharmonia (1959), a real beauty. I haven't heard his LA
remake but a live performance from around that time was
disappointing.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I think I'll start with this Giulini, assuming it's readily found. Thanks for the recommendation.

C.
RANDY WOLFGANG
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrE19ub6CZfRkgAYS5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=tchaikovsky+6+giulini+youtube&fr=yfp-t&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tL3NlYXJjaD9laT1VVEYtOCZmcj15ZnAtdCZmcD0xJmZyMj1ycy1hbGdvJTJDcCUzQXMlMkN2JTNBdyUyQ20lM0Fyc19hbGdvJnA9dGNoYWlrb3Zza3klMjA2JTIwZ2l1bGluaSUyMHlvdXR1YmU&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJxTct2GSpBMtM63QE1j0-sEzB-mNcKIIZ1nu9Y01Y-BrFIOYF6rEs4A5_mpY4dZY68c3GRegUdDi6--U_397Xo5y9ZWll4De4-RnId-yRcANmBmm8UV9r__NcEykDM3CbHWLsUiMaFf7kz4TckOoUEtU8eq5N5LgnAPeTz1UcEA&_guc_consent_skip=1596385480#id=1&vid=0b8c046c68fcb49a345ee8060b132887&action=view
Bob Harper
2020-08-02 16:46:30 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
It's also available here, with lots of other good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Carlo-Maria-Giulini-London-Years/dp/B00FKAB9AK/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/138-1218499-1863452?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00FKAB9AK&pd_rd_r=8cf7cfbd-bfd9-4de3-b315-cd0ddca123f8&pd_rd_w=F41iE&pd_rd_wg=d3k8J&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=539PCWVJDWT0FD66VQ5H&psc=1&refRID=539PCWVJDWT0FD66VQ5H

Bob Harper
v***@protonmail.com
2020-08-02 16:59:26 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
Thanks for those links!

C.
Frank Berger
2020-08-02 17:02:39 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Sol L. Siegel
For a broader interpretation, I would add Giulini's first go, with
the Philharmonia (1959), a real beauty. I haven't heard his LA
remake but a live performance from around that time was
disappointing.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I think I'll start with this Giulini, assuming it's readily found. Thanks for the recommendation.
C.
If you're looking for a CD, it can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/yy8hhqfs, or here:

https://tinyurl.com/y3kblqjc

There is a live 6th from Giulini from 1961 also with the
Philhamonia on BBC Legends. It's in mono.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-08-02 23:55:51 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Sol L. Siegel
For a broader interpretation, I would add Giulini's first go, with
the Philharmonia (1959), a real beauty. I haven't heard his LA
remake but a live performance from around that time was
disappointing.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I think I'll start with this Giulini, assuming it's readily found. Thanks for the recommendation.
C.
https://tinyurl.com/y3kblqjc
There is a live 6th from Giulini from 1961 also with the
Philhamonia on BBC Legends. It's in mono.
Thanks for those links, FB.

Gerard
2020-08-02 12:23:19 UTC
wrote in message news:a4f8dd9b-dff4-4d6b-aebf-***@googlegroups.com...

Any recs for a stereo recording of this piece?

Another very fine recording (not yet mentioned I think) is on Reference
Recordings (SACD) by Manfred Honeck.
Nice coupling BTW: Dvorak: Rusalka Fantasy.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-08-02 18:25:58 UTC
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 14:23:19 +0200, "Gerard"
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Any recs for a stereo recording of this piece?
Another very fine recording (not yet mentioned I think) is on Reference
Recordings (SACD) by Manfred Honeck.
Nice coupling BTW: Dvorak: Rusalka Fantasy.
There is a DVD of Roger Norrington leading and commenting on the
Pathetique a well as Wagner's Tristan and Die Meistersinger preludes
and the Berlioz Corsaire Overture. Still available for $5.99 at
Broinc. I was riveted by what Norrington had to say. My recollection
is that the Stuttgart Radio Orchestra played them with little or no
vibrato. Quite a feat. I also remember that the 3rd movement march
in the Pathetique had words which Norrington sang.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-07-27 04:15:19 UTC
February???
RANDY WOLFGANG
I slightly prefer the 1947 broadcast.
dk
2020-07-28 22:04:10 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Naxos: concert of *October 29 1928*...
Whoever does not know this live recording of La Pahétique by Toscanini
simply does not know this symphony!...Even if he knows Mravinsky's DG
recording ((or all the other recordings of Toscanini himself !)... by
heart...
Absolutely fabulous...
Did you mean absolutely ridiculous ?!?
Toscanini had no understanding of