Best Dutilleux recordings in print?
m***@yahoo.com
2005-03-18 23:50:20 UTC
I recently had the good fortune of having a friend loan me the
Tortelier set of Dutilleux's orchestral works on Chandos, and it has
been a revelation to me. How is it that I did not know these amazing
works?

I'm now having one of those fits of record-collecting frenzy in which,
having discovered a new favorite composer, I feel compelled to get hold
of every recording I can find. But, alas, there is precious little in
print.

Anyone care to share recommendations?
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-19 00:12:00 UTC
I recently had the good fortune of having a friend loan me the Tortelier
set of Dutilleux's orchestral works on Chandos, and it has been a
revelation to me. How is it that I did not know these amazing works?
I'm now having one of those fits of record-collecting frenzy in which,
having discovered a new favorite composer, I feel compelled to get hold
of every recording I can find. But, alas, there is precious little in
print.
Anyone care to share recommendations?
Finlandia 3984-25324-2 contains fine performances of "Métaboles," "Timbres,
espace, mouvement," and the Symphony #2, "Le Double," with Jukka-Pekka
Saraste conducting the Toronto Symphony. I somewhat prefer Myung-Whun
Chung's version of "Métaboles" with Orchestre de l'Opéra Bastille, where it
shares a CD with an excellent Symphonie fantastique; but the Toronto disc
should help to prime your interests.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Praetorius
2005-03-19 17:28:00 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
Seconded with enthusiasm. One of the great Dutilleux discs. To the extent
that you think that only native ensembles and/or conductors are appropriate,
don't be put off by the seemingly incongruous mix of Finnish conductor and
"lower tier" North American orchestra. The orchestra plays brilliantly and
the sound is great, with a perspective that allows one to better perceive
the sub-orchestra in the Symphony.

Frank Decolvenaere
To reply by e-mail, replace NMBR with 1612.

"You are no bigger than
the things that annoy you."
Jerry Bundsen
Floyd Patterson
2005-03-19 18:14:28 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I recently had the good fortune of having a friend loan me the Tortelier
set of Dutilleux's orchestral works on Chandos, and it has been a
revelation to me. How is it that I did not know these amazing works?
I'm now having one of those fits of record-collecting frenzy in which,
having discovered a new favorite composer, I feel compelled to get hold
of every recording I can find. But, alas, there is precious little in
print.
Anyone care to share recommendations?
I always get nervious when I try to give recommendation to someone for a new
composer. However, I am very fond of CBS Records MK42449 w Isaac Stern (
which has Dutilleux's violin concerto L'Arbe des Songs) which is coupled
with Maxwell Davies violin concerto. I got it for the Maxwell Davies but the
Dutilleux blew me away. go check it out. i hope you enjoy it.
Jerry Bundsen
Praetorius
2005-03-19 18:42:18 UTC
Post by Floyd Patterson
I recently had the good fortune of having a friend loan me the Tortelier
set of Dutilleux's orchestral works on Chandos, and it has been a
revelation to me. How is it that I did not know these amazing works?
I'm now having one of those fits of record-collecting frenzy in which,
having discovered a new favorite composer, I feel compelled to get hold
of every recording I can find. But, alas, there is precious little in
print.
Anyone care to share recommendations?
I always get nervious when I try to give recommendation to someone for a new
composer. However, I am very fond of CBS Records MK42449 w Isaac Stern (
which has Dutilleux's violin concerto L'Arbe des Songs) which is coupled
with Maxwell Davies violin concerto. I got it for the Maxwell Davies but the
Dutilleux blew me away. go check it out. i hope you enjoy it.
The Dutilleux is also now on Sony 64508, part of the mid-priced "Isaac
Stern -
Life In Music" series, coupled with Leonard Bernstein's Serenade (after
Plato's
Symposium) - Bernstein/Symphony of the Air. FWIW, the Dutilleux is dedicated
to Stern, and Lorin Maazel/Orchestre National de France ("accompanying"
Stern on the CD) premiered the work with Stern. [The Maxwell Davies - André
Previn/Royal Philharmonic - is also in the IS-LiM series, Sony SMK 64506,
coupled with Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto - Bernstein/NY Phil.

Has anyone heard the recording of the Dutilleux vioin and 'cello concertos
on
Virgin VC 545502 2 - Renaud Capuçon (violin), Truls Mørk ('cello)/Myung-Whun
Chung/Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (recorded in the composer's
presence - but haven't almost all recordings of his music been?) (coupled
with
3 Strophes sur le nom de Paul Sacher for 'cello solo).

Jerry Bundsen
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-19 23:31:52 UTC
Post by Praetorius
Post by Floyd Patterson
Post by m***@yahoo.com
[...]
Part of Sony's "plot" that whatever you buy, you'll wind up with multiple
issues of Stern's recording of the Barber Violin Concerto! ;--)
Post by Praetorius
Has anyone heard the recording of the Dutilleux vioin and 'cello
concertos on Virgin VC 545502 2 - Renaud Capuçon (violin), Truls Mørk
('cello)/Myung-Whun Chung/Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
(recorded in the composer's presence - but haven't almost all recordings
of his music been?) (coupled with 3 Strophes sur le nom de Paul Sacher
for 'cello solo).
Haven't heard that yet, but I've admired what I've heard so far from les
frères Capuçon, with or without Martha. ;--)

And your mention of Truls Mørk finally gives me a peg upon which to hang
something I've been wanting to say for days. Due to street closures and
cleanups following the huge rains of the season so far, I've had to adjust
my daily commute to the office (my commute home is usually the same as it
has been, however). Now I drive past the Hollywood Bowl, where a marquee
displays in lights the usual sponsor ads and names of upcoming performers
with the L.A. Phil. One of those performers is cellist Mørk, and they do
indeed manage to preserve his o-slash.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Lena
2005-03-20 15:08:26 UTC
Post by Praetorius
Chung/Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France (recorded in the composer's
presence - but haven't almost all recordings of his music been?) (coupled
with
3 Strophes sur le nom de Paul Sacher for 'cello solo).
Frank Decolvenaere
Yes. I think it's excellent.

I'll add the Juilliard Qt's Ainsi la nuit to the list. (This quartet
has been reasonably widely recorded, so perhaps comparisons would be a
good idea.)

Lena
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-20 15:33:05 UTC
Post by Lena
Post by Praetorius
Has anyone heard the recording of the Dutilleux vioin and 'cello
concertos on Virgin VC 545502 2 - Renaud Capuçon (violin), Truls Mørk
('cello)/Myung-Whun Chung/Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
(recorded in the composer's presence - but haven't almost all recordings
of his music been?) (coupled with 3 Strophes sur le nom de Paul Sacher
for 'cello solo).
Yes. I think it's excellent.
I'll add the Juilliard Qt's Ainsi la nuit to the list. (This quartet
has been reasonably widely recorded, so perhaps comparisons would be a
good idea.)
I agree, but then you wind up with the least interesting of the Juilliard's
recordings (three each) of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Lena
2005-03-20 15:47:33 UTC
[Ainsi la nuit]
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I agree, but then you wind up with the least interesting of the Juilliard's
recordings (three each) of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.
Oh, I like them, but then I haven't heard the other two.

Lena
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-20 16:52:26 UTC
Post by Lena
[Ainsi la nuit]
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I agree, but then you wind up with the least interesting of the
Juilliard's recordings (three each) of the Debussy and Ravel quartets.
Oh, I like them, but then I haven't heard the other two.
I know this is going to come as a terrible shock, but they haven't been
released on CD in the USA ... or in Europe, so far as I know, only Japan.
I have them, and they were indeed worth the premium price.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-03-19 18:48:00 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
I somewhat prefer Myung-Whun
Chung's version of "Métaboles" with Orchestre de l'Opéra Bastille, where it
shares a CD with an excellent Symphonie fantastique
An excellent CD. Too bad it's out of print.
--
Nicolai Zwar -- http://www.nicolaizwar.com

"I don't post off-topic digests. I consistently ask the antagonists
what their postings have to do with classical music, which happens to be
the topic of this newsgroup."
(Dr. David J. Tholen, Astronomer, in his "Antagonists Digest, Volume
2452972, posted in rec.music.classical)
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-19 23:31:53 UTC
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
I somewhat prefer Myung-Whun Chung's version of "Métaboles" with
Orchestre de l'Opéra Bastille, where it shares a CD with an excellent
Symphonie fantastique
An excellent CD. Too bad it's out of print.
I didn't know that. Blame Matthew Cosgrove, I guess.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-03-21 19:26:38 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
I somewhat prefer Myung-Whun Chung's version of "Métaboles" with
Orchestre de l'Opéra Bastille, where it shares a CD with an excellent
Symphonie fantastique
An excellent CD. Too bad it's out of print.
I didn't know that. Blame Matthew Cosgrove, I guess.
It's been OOP for a few years already. Heaven knows why they pulled this
one, it was a real winner. The coupling of Dutilleux and Berlioz was a
neat idea.
--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the
world ugly and bad."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-21 20:29:00 UTC
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
I somewhat prefer Myung-Whun Chung's version of "Métaboles" with
Orchestre de l'Opéra Bastille, where it shares a CD with an excellent
Symphonie fantastique
An excellent CD. Too bad it's out of print.
I didn't know that. Blame Matthew Cosgrove, I guess.
It's been OOP for a few years already. Heaven knows why they pulled this
one, it was a real winner. The coupling of Dutilleux and Berlioz was a
neat idea.
Oops, I meant to blame Matthew Cosgrove for the absence of the Toronto CD
from the Warner Classics catalogue.

The Chung CD is a different matter altogether. DGG issued both this SF, and
a "Harold," in Europe only. Despite what I recall as favorable reviews, they
resisted US release, first licensing them to the Musical Heritage Society,
and then allowing them to be brought in as "special imports." (Way to go,
undercutting your business partners!) Ultimately, Chung's recording of "La
damnation de Faust" *was* issued Stateside; one of the talking points was to
build on the success of the SF and "Harold" that were never issued here!
Another triumph for the clear thinking of Albert Imperato, boy genius.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-03-21 21:30:54 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Oops, I meant to blame Matthew Cosgrove for the absence of the Toronto CD
from the Warner Classics catalogue.
Speaking of which: it breaks my heart to see how the actual printed
catalogs of classical labels such as Warner, Decca, DG, EMI, etc. shrink
year after year. Recently I took a look at some back issues of the DG,
EMI, and Warner catalogs from 1995. Amazing, how many pages they had
back then. Sony seems to have altogether stopped publishing a printed
catalog for their classical recordings a few years ago, at least I don't
have any recent issues. Would probably just be a leaflet at the most
nowadays.
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
The Chung CD is a different matter altogether. DGG issued both this SF, and
a "Harold," in Europe only.
Oh. I didn't know that.
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Despite what I recall as favorable reviews, they
resisted US release, first licensing them to the Musical Heritage Society,
and then allowing them to be brought in as "special imports." (Way to go,
undercutting your business partners!) Ultimately, Chung's recording of "La
damnation de Faust" *was* issued Stateside; one of the talking points was to
build on the success of the SF and "Harold" that were never issued here!
Another triumph for the clear thinking of Albert Imperato, boy genius.
That explains why I have seen Chung's SF in the US with a different
coupling (a Levine performances of... don't remember, more Berlioz, I
think) and under a different label. I thought it was just a re-issue.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-03-22 03:20:44 UTC
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Oops, I meant to blame Matthew Cosgrove for the absence of the Toronto
CD from the Warner Classics catalogue.
Speaking of which: it breaks my heart to see how the actual printed
catalogs of classical labels such as Warner, Decca, DG, EMI, etc. shrink
year after year. Recently I took a look at some back issues of the DG,
EMI, and Warner catalogs from 1995. Amazing, how many pages they had
back then. Sony seems to have altogether stopped publishing a printed
catalog for their classical recordings a few years ago, at least I don't
have any recent issues. Would probably just be a leaflet at the most
nowadays.
In a just world, the label honchos' salaries would be proportionate to the
size of the catalogue. Or maybe that's not such a good idea; then they'd
probably pad it out with endless recouplings and re-re-re-re-reissues....
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Despite what I recall as favorable reviews, they resisted US release,
first licensing them to the Musical Heritage Society, and then allowing
them to be brought in as "special imports." (Way to go, undercutting
your business partners!) Ultimately, Chung's recording of "La damnation
de Faust" *was* issued Stateside; one of the talking points was to build
on the success of the SF and "Harold" that were never issued here!
Another triumph for the clear thinking of Albert Imperato, boy genius.
That explains why I have seen Chung's SF in the US with a different
coupling (a Levine performances of... don't remember, more Berlioz, I
think) and under a different label. I thought it was just a re-issue.
Like I said. ;--)
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Vaneyes
2005-03-19 01:06:52 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.com
I'm now having one of those fits of record-collecting frenzy in which,
having discovered a new favorite composer [Dutilleux], I feel
Post by m***@yahoo.com
precious little in print. Anyone care to share recommendations?
Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto - Amoyal/Harrell/Dutoit (Decca)
Cello Concerto - Rostropovitch/Baudo (EMI)
Symphony 1, Timbres, Espace, Mouvement - Baudo (harmonia mundi)
Symphony 2, The Shadows of Time, Métaboles - Graf (Arte Nova)
Ainsi la nuit - Arditti SQ (Auvidis Montaigne)
Ainsi la nuit - Stanislas SQ - (ogam)
3 strophes sur le nom de Paul Sacher - Bertrand (harmonia mundi)
L'oeuvre pour piano - Queffelec/Ivaldi (Virgin)

Regards
j***@aol.com
2005-03-19 01:15:49 UTC
Post by Vaneyes
Cello Concerto - Rostropovitch/Baudo (EMI)
This was my introduction to Dutilleux, and with the flip-side (the
Lutoslawski concerto) remains one of the most influential listening
experiences of my time so far on this planet.

--Jeff
R***@aol.com
2005-03-19 10:39:03 UTC
There's a very good Ultima compliation of some Erato releases:

the Piano Sonata plus 3 Preludes and Figures et resonances (for 2
pianos) played by Genevieve Joy (Mrs Dutilleux?) and Dutilleux on one
disc; the String Quartet (Sine Nomine) surrounded by some vocal works
(Cachemaille acc. by Dut.) and the SACHER Strophes (Geringas) on the
second.

8573-88047-2