Franz Berwald - from EMI Matrix series
2020-09-10 17:51:41 UTC
I listened to this Berwald cd, Ulf Bjorlin conducting RPO
Piano Concerto in D - Marian Migdal, soloist
Violin concerto -- Arve Tellefsen, soloist
+ 3 shorter works

This CD is #1 from EMI "Matrix" series

Not sure what it is about him, but think I would have had a hard time guessing his dates...any thoughts on this guy?
number_six
2020-09-10 22:23:41 UTC
And you can see the entire series here --

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/junusynu/matrix-emi-series-emi-20th-century-classics/
ljk...@aol.com
Bjorlin's performances are a bit on the faceless side. Kamu on Naxos is better; I'd go with Kamu's coupling of Sym. 3&4 and see what you think. The opening of 3 has a charming lilt to it; if that doesn' t get you, Berwald's probably not for you. Best of all perhaps is Ehrling, but that set is on the pricey side. Berwald is somewhat Mendelssohn-ian but with a tang and a quirkiness of his own; in any case Berwald was the older composer by about a decade.
Frank Berger
2020-09-11 18:05:28 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by number_six
I listened to this Berwald cd, Ulf Bjorlin conducting RPO
Piano Concerto in D - Marian Migdal, soloist
Violin concerto -- Arve Tellefsen, soloist
+ 3 shorter works
This CD is #1 from EMI "Matrix" series
Not sure what it is about him, but think I would have had a hard time guessing his dates...any thoughts on this guy?
Bjorlin's performances are a bit on the faceless side. Kamu on Naxos is better; I'd go with Kamu's coupling of Sym. 3&4 and see what you think. The opening of 3 has a charming lilt to it; if that doesn' t get you, Berwald's probably not for you. Best of all perhaps is Ehrling, but that set is on the pricey side. Berwald is somewhat Mendelssohn-ian but with a tang and a quirkiness of his own; in any case Berwald was the older composer by about a decade.
For all 4 symphonies, I've enjoyed Dausgaard and Ehrling.
Blomsted recorded 1 and 4 but not 2 and 3 for some reason.
One of the oddest releases I've ever seen is the EMI Great
Great Conductors entry for Celibidace, which includes works
by Berwald, Hilding Rosenberg and Heinz Tiessen,
number_six
2020-09-12 00:38:33 UTC
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll probably try some of the symphonies next.

The EMI notes by Robert Layton put Berwald in context as follows -- "born a year before Schubert and died a year before Berlioz, so that his lifetime encompasses the careers of Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Bellini, Mendelssohn, and save for one year, Berlioz himself."
Raymond Hall
2020-09-12 02:08:04 UTC
Post by number_six
Thanks for the comments guys.
I'll probably try some of the symphonies next.
The EMI notes by Robert Layton put Berwald in context as follows -- "born a -year before Schubert and died a year before Berlioz, so that his lifetime
-encompasses the careers of Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Bellini, Mendelssohn, -and save for one year, Berlioz himself."

I've got Jarvi/Gothenburg on DG for the 4 Berwald symphonies. Maybe a tad lacking in mystery, but otherwise very fine. Despite being contemporaneous with the above list of composers, I always think of Berwald as a much later composer. His harmonic sense seemed more advanced.

Ray Hall, Taree

ljk...@aol.com
2020-09-11 17:41:47 UTC
Post by number_six
I listened to this Berwald cd, Ulf Bjorlin conducting RPO
Piano Concerto in D - Marian Migdal, soloist
Violin concerto -- Arve Tellefsen, soloist
+ 3 shorter works
This CD is #1 from EMI "Matrix" series
Not sure what it is about him, but think I would have had a hard time guessing his dates...any thoughts on this guy?
For the Violin Concerto, I'd go with this:
/Users/lkart/Desktop/71gb2NZmvDL._AC_UY218_.jpg