Ida Haendel dead at 96
Add Reply
O***@aol.com
2020-07-01 13:18:15 UTC
BREAKING: The great Polish-born British violinist has died in Miami. Student of Flesch and Enescu. She adroitly took five years off her age starting some time ago. R.I.P.
Bozo
2020-07-01 19:14:56 UTC
Netherlands Radio 4 has 2 live performances, 1961 Saint-Saens VC # 3 and 1980 Sibelius VC.Have not heard either yet, but plan to hear the S-S.
Bozo
2020-07-01 19:16:06 UTC
Sorry : https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten
Bozo
2020-07-01 22:24:02 UTC
Have not heard either yet, but plan to hear the S-S.
The sound on the S-S is not good, but worth hearing, certainly on a par with my Francescatti and Rabin recordings of the S-S # 3, one of my fav VC's. I dont know if Heifetz played,recorded,S-S # 3 ,but Haendel's playing here reminded me a bit of Heifetz' manner.
JohnGavin
2020-07-02 10:44:54 UTC
I dont know if Heifetz played,recorded,S-S # 3 ,but Haendel's playing here reminded me a bit of Heifetz' manner.

The only major work by SS that Heifetz recorded was the Violin Sonata in D Minor. I remember Haendel speaking very admiringly about Heifetz in a documentary.
Neil
2020-07-03 13:30:17 UTC
Milstein owns SS3! Debate away. I've not heard Rabin or Francescatti yet :-)
Bozo
2020-07-03 16:15:55 UTC
Thanks, I'll give Milstein a listen.I misspoke earlier.My recordings are Francescatti and Campoli (not Rabin).
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-03 20:14:25 UTC
Post by Neil
Milstein owns SS3! Debate away. I've not heard Rabin or Francescatti yet :-)
Thanks, I'll give Milstein a listen.I misspoke earlier.My recordings are Francescatti and Campoli (not Rabin).
Mistake or not, you reminded me that there *is* a Rabin performance (with Bour, no less) on youtube:
Well worth hearing despite poor sound and some slips that would not have occurred a few years earlier. Still magnificent on the whole. Other must-hears: Louis Kaufman
Lola Bobesco, either on Meloclassic or in the SWR set devoted to her; and Henri Merckel (M&A). Francescatti and Milstein are both great also.

2020-07-03 20:59:37 UTC
Thanks, I'll give Milstein a listen.I misspoke earlier.My recordings are Francescatti and Campoli (not Rabin).
With Anatole Fistoulari,Philharmionia,live June,1963, Kingway Hall (?)

Indeed,wonderful performance.For my taste,this almost gushingly romantic music benefits from a bit leaner approach in the first 2 movs.,Francescatti,Haendel,Campoli being closer to Milstein, but Campoli without Milstein’s technical polish.
AB
2020-07-13 18:15:46 UTC
Thanks, I'll give Milstein a listen.I misspoke earlier.My recordings are Francescatti and Campoli (not Rabin).
http://youtu.be/VrpxJmzLSWg With Anatole Fistoulari,Philharmionia,live June,1963, Kingway Hall (?)
Indeed,wonderful performance.For my taste,this almost gushingly romantic music benefits from a bit leaner approach in the first 2 movs.,Francescatti,Haendel,Campoli being closer to Milstein, but Campoli without Milstein’s technical polish.
I find her Sibelius a bit heavy handed,( loves to play octaves which she does with great intensity)!

Her Brahms concerto is also too stodgy for my taste, lacks forward motion.

AB
Mark Obert-Thorn
2020-10-15 13:24:25 UTC
Newly announced by Eloquence as a November release: Ida Haendel's complete recordings for Decca and DG, including all of her 1940s Decca 78s and an unpublished 1997 recording of V-W's "The Lark Ascending" with Simon Rattle:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8846283--ida-haendel-the-decca-legacy

Mark O-T
Frank Berger
2020-10-15 15:07:31 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8846283--ida-haendel-the-decca-legacy
Mark O-T
I have various Haendel recordings on labels such as BBC,
Dutton, EMI, Hanssler, Supraphon, Testament and ABC. Nary a
one on Decca nor DG.
Frank Berger
2020-10-15 15:14:18 UTC
Newly announced by Eloquence as a November release:  Ida
Haendel's complete recordings for Decca and DG, including
all of her 1940s Decca 78s and an unpublished 1997
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8846283--ida-haendel-the-decca-legacy
Mark O-T
I have various Haendel recordings on labels such as BBC,
Dutton, EMI, Hanssler, Supraphon, Testament and ABC. Nary a
one on Decca nor DG.
I see the Dutton ones were Decca releases.

Frank Berger
2020-07-03 18:07:18 UTC
Post by Neil
Have not heard either yet, but plan to hear the S-S.
The sound on the S-S is not good, but worth hearing, certainly on a par with my Francescatti and Rabin recordings of the S-S # 3, one of my fav VC's. I dont know if Heifetz played,recorded,S-S # 3 ,but Haendel's playing here reminded me a bit of Heifetz' manner.
Milstein owns SS3! Debate away. I've not heard Rabin or Francescatti yet :-)
Seems like it was only on CD as part of an EMI box that is
quite expensive in the used market.
Bozo
2020-07-04 19:01:38 UTC
Netherlands Radio 4 has 2 live performances, 1961 Saint-Saens VC # 3 and 1980 Sibelius VC.Have not >heard either yet, but plan to hear the S-S.
As the Sibelius VC is my fav VC, and she would presumably have still been in top form at age 56 , did also listen to this Feb. ,1980 live in Rotterdam with Rotterdam Phil under David Zinman.Much more leisurely and broadly romantic than the Heifetz-Beecham recording ( and perhaps a few misses here, but live ),which H-B I still prefer. She was awarded the Sibelius Prize in 1982, and apparently earlier received this note from Sibelius: “I congratulate you on the great success, but most of all I congratulate myself, that my concerto has found an interpreter of your rare standard."

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/5969-ida-haendel-speelt-het-vioolconcert-van-jean-sibelius
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-07-01 20:33:28 UTC
Very sad. She was the last living artist to play at the old Queens Hall London, giving her debut there with Sir Henry Wood. I saw her once playing Wieniawski's 2nd Concerto in the 1980s
Al Eisner
2020-07-11 16:15:01 UTC
Post by O***@aol.com
BREAKING: The great Polish-born British violinist has died in Miami. Student of Flesch and Enescu. She adroitly took five years off her age starting some time ago. R.I.P.
Well worth reading:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/arts/music/ida-haendel-dead.html

I'm a bit puAzzled by the birth date ambiguity between 1923 and 1928. She
won a medal in 1935 and performed a Proms concert in 1937. At those
ages, would not the difference be fairly obvious?