"Reportedly, it's become the best-selling Mahler record of all time."
2017-01-20 09:23:22 UTC
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/mahlersym2.html
Herman
2017-01-20 10:24:45 UTC
Yeah, "reportedly".

That's short for "I'm reporting this, even though I don't know."
m***@gmail.com
2017-01-20 14:13:33 UTC
Is that all this guy does just post things with no opinion of his own - its so odd
p***@wcsr.com
2017-01-20 16:04:48 UTC
Normally “this guy” wouldn’t bother to reply to such snarky sniping, but I’m in a foul mood myself due to the inauguration, so here goes:

No, that’s not all I do – in fact, this is a bleeding chunk, which “gggg” has a bad habit of posting, and is ripped out of context from an article of many thousand words which is replete with my (hopefully informed) opinions. If anything is “odd” it’s generalizing or jumping to an unwarranted conclusion from a misleading excerpt.

And while I realize that facts and accuracy no longer seem to matter, qualifying something as “reportedly” is an attempt at honest journalism, as it means that I can’t verify it myself but it seems plausible based on credible (and often multiple) sources.

But thanks to both of you for a timely reminder of why I rarely bother posting to this site anymore.
Mark Zimmer
2017-01-20 17:30:05 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Herman
Yeah, "reportedly".
That's short for "I'm reporting this, even though I don't know."
Is that all this guy does just post things with no opinion of his own - its so odd
If it helps, it's an interesting article that I enjoyed, and probably never would have run across otherwise.

Mark
p***@wcsr.com
2017-01-20 18:26:53 UTC
Thanks, Mark. RMCR has certainly moved beyond the torrent of caustic and often obscene comments of several years ago. I certainly welcome you and anyone else to explore my classicalnotes site and I always welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. An index to my articles is at: http://www.classicalnotes.net/contents.html. My most recent article on the Schubert "Great" Symphony is at: http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics5/great.html. Enjoy (or not) ...
Mark
2017-01-20 19:57:45 UTC
Post by p***@wcsr.com
Thanks, Mark. RMCR has certainly moved beyond the torrent of caustic and
often obscene comments of several years ago. I certainly welcome you and
anyone else to explore my classicalnotes site and I always welcome and
http://www.classicalnotes.net/contents.html. My most recent article on the
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics5/great.html. Enjoy (or not) ...
Thanks for your post. I enjoyed your article, and particularly liked
your inclusion of Yoel Levy for the Resurrection. I think it's a fine
performance in wonderful sound. I am somewhat interested in your
opinion of a conductor who was left off your lists: Klaus Tennstedt,
and would like to know if his omission was simply that you there are
far too many Mahler 2s to include them all, or that you simply dislike
his recorded performances.

-Owen
p***@wcsr.com

-Owen
Mike Painter
2017-01-21 01:51:59 UTC
Normally “this guy” wouldn’t bother to reply to such snarky sniping,
No, that’s not all I do – in fact, this is a bleeding chunk, which
“gggg” has a bad habit of posting, and is ripped out of context from an
article of many thousand words which is replete with my (hopefully informed)
opinions. If anything is “odd” it’s generalizing or jumping to an
unwarranted conclusion from a misleading excerpt.
And while I realize that facts and accuracy no longer seem to matter,
qualifying something as “reportedly” is an attempt at honest journalism,
as it means that I can’t verify it myself but it seems plausible based on
credible (and often multiple) sources.
But thanks to both of you for a timely reminder of why I rarely bother
posting to this site anymore.
I thought the article was interesting, so thanks for writing it, even if some
time ago.

I, however, read the "this guy" reference as pertaining to ggggg9271, not to
you as the original author. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

Herman's posts don't come through here any more.

cheers,
Mike
Al Eisner
2017-01-24 00:03:15 UTC
No, that?s not all I do ? in fact, this is a bleeding chunk, which ?gggg? has a bad habit of posting, and is ripped out of context from an article of many thousand words which is replete with my (hopefully informed) opinions. If anything is ?odd? it?s generalizing or jumping to an unwarranted conclusion from a misleading excerpt.
And while I realize that facts and accuracy no longer seem to matter, qualifying something as ?reportedly? is an attempt at honest journalism, as it means that I can?t verify it myself but it seems plausible based on credible (and often multiple) sources.
But thanks to both of you for a timely reminder of why I rarely bother posting to this site anymore.
Peter: It seems clear to me that meyersimon's comment was not about
you, but about ggggg; it's a pretty accurate description of what the
latter does. And don't worry about Herman's comment, that's just how
he sometimes posts. Personally, I've enjoyed the stuff I've looked at on
your site, although I constantly need reminders from you to look there. :)

[I did just look, and was very pleased to see a long new article on one
of my favorite symphoonies.]
Correct - it was about gggg's very odd habit of posting material with no comment, I also have enjoyed Mr Gutmans site
p***@wcsr.com
2017-01-24 03:14:47 UTC
I see that you're right and that I had misinterpreted your original comment. Sorry for overreacting and for having created my own "alternative facts" here. Anyway, for those who might be interested I'll try to post future notices of new classicalnotes articles, which I'll do shortly in a separate thread.
m***@gmail.com
2017-01-24 03:35:15 UTC
That would be wonderful thx
g***@gmail.com
2017-01-20 16:13:03 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Herman
Yeah, "reportedly".
That's short for "I'm reporting this, even though I don't know."
Is that all this guy does just post things with no opinion of his own - its so odd
- It is from a weakness and smallness of mind that men are opinionated; and we are very loath to believe what we are not able to comprehend.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Russ (not Martha)
2017-01-20 19:37:16 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Is that all this guy does just post things with no opinion of his own - its so odd
Now, now, one should be grateful for any post whose body is longer than the subject line.

Russ (not Martha)
g***@gmail.com
2017-01-23 17:19:03 UTC
If you are saying that I don't really don't fit in here because I am just not opinionated enough, THANK GOD!
graham
2017-01-21 02:22:15 UTC
Yeah, "reportedly".
That's short for "I'm reporting this, even though I don't know."
Were they selling Mahler recordings in the C19, or before? In the Cambrian?

That phrase: "Of all time" should be banned!
g***@gmail.com
2020-10-08 14:14:52 UTC
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/mahlersym2.html
According to this:

- There are certain composers whose works
find an immense public among record buyers, but whose
names are scarcely ever found in the programs of live sym-
phonic concerts. Until recently Mahler was one of these
people.

https://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/calif-kpfk-radio-station--los-angeles/kpfk-folio-volume-oct-67-hci/page-3-kpfk-folio-volume-oct-67-hci.shtml
dk
2020-10-08 19:06:09 UTC
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/mahlersym2.html
- There are certain composers whose works
find an immense public among record buyers, but whose
names are scarcely ever found in the programs of live sym-
phonic concerts. Until recently Mahler was one of these
people.
https://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/calif-kpfk-radio-station--los-angeles/kpfk-folio-volume-oct-67-hci/page-3-kpfk-folio-volume-oct-67-hci.shtml
Clearly the writer does not live on this planet.
If anything Mahler's works are performed much
too often than not enough. Sorry to report the
bot does not seem to have any critical thinking
ability. Kill it!