The Barber Violin Concerto
2016-06-22 22:20:33 UTC
I used to prefer the recording by Gil Shaham coupled with the
Korngold.
After recently hearing Joshua Bell play it with the Baltimore Sym Orch
conducted by its former music director, David Ziman. I prefer it on
all counts -artistic and sound quality. And, it's coupled with Bloch's
Baal Shem and the Walton concerto.
I havn't heard it played by others and wonder if there is a better
recording out there than this one.
Anyone?
Gerard
Recent list of recommended recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm
Raymond Hall
2016-06-23 01:15:00 UTC
the meantime, I'm not about to discourage the industry from recording the
Barber. It's better than having more of the truly overrecorded stuff, like
Tchaikovsky or Mendelssohn concerti.
--Jeff
There is a Leonid Kogan recording of the Barber concerto that may well be worth looking at, coupled with Barsukov and Bunin.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barsukov-Barber-Bunin-Violin-Concertos/dp/B000006BA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1466643857&sr=1-1&keywords=leonid+kogan+barber

I mention this because I am scouring sources for Kogan's Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky concerto CD which is presently at black market price on Amazon.

Louis Kaufman & Walter Goehr: Barber: Violin Concerto (1st recording Luzern 1951)
ifan
2021-10-09 02:07:54 UTC
Not a recording, I know but as a performance Hadelich is supreme

Ifan