Egmont Overture pre-WWII commercial recordings
Add Reply
RiRiIII
2018-11-04 10:34:09 UTC
I will appreciate if you can help me in compiling a list of pre-WWII commercial recordings of Beethoven's Egmont Overture.

Some first thoughts:

Mengelberg - ACO - Columbia (1926)
Mengelberg - ACO - Columbia (1931)
Furtwaengler - BPO - DG (1933)

Thank a lot.

Alex
r***@gmail.com
2018-11-04 10:46:07 UTC
There is Mengelberg's 1930 Victor recording with the New York Philharmonic and Felix Weingartner's 1938 Columbia recording with the London Philharmonic for two more entries.
r***@gmail.com
2018-11-04 10:49:20 UTC
Actually, Weingartner's recording is Vienna (VPO) 1937. My mistake. Other Egmont excerpts recorded by him were LPO, 1938.
r***@gmail.com
2018-11-04 11:04:15 UTC
There also is the November 18, 1939 broadcast with Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra on Victor (and other labels).
woytek
2018-11-05 11:30:41 UTC
http://www.charm.kcl.ac.uk/discography/search/search_advanced.html