Mahler/Rosbaud
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-04-10 22:29:16 UTC
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
Frank Berger
2018-04-11 00:00:18 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
What I have: (Certainly not exhaustive)
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Mahler Das Lied von der Erde Koln Radio SO Hoffman, Haefliger 1955 Phoenix 701.1
Mahler Das Lied von der Erde Southwest German Radio SO, Baden-Baden Hoffman, Melchert 1957 Vox 5518
Mahler Symphony 1 D major Berlin PO 1955 Memories 2042
Mahler Symphony 1 D major Southwest German Radio SO, Baden-Baden 1961 Stradivarius 10036
Mahler Symphony 4 D major Southwest German Radio SO, Baden-Baden Rogner 1951 Urania 22.170
Mahler Symphony 5 C-sharp minor Cologne Radio SO 1951 ICA 5091
Mahler Symphony 7 E minor Berlin Radio SO 1953 Monograph 1001
Mahler Symphony 7 E minor Berlin Radio SO 1953 Vox 5520
g***@gmail.com
2018-04-11 01:31:27 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/mahler$20rosbaud%7Csort:relevance/rec.music.classical.recordings/LGMjtZ472s8/QDv-KpNPWZwJ
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-04-11 15:43:10 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
I don't know where the 6th came from, but it is the Baden Baden orchestra in
60 or 62. The companion piece on this "Datum" set is a delightful Mozart
Concerto for Flute and Harp. The Mozart is clear but the Mahler could use some cleaning up.
Al Eisner
2018-04-11 23:09:29 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
His 7 with the Baden-Baden orchestra is probably the most convincing
performance of that work I've heard, quite wonderful. It's available
on Wergo, in good mono sound, quite cheaply:
https://www.mdt.co.uk/mahler-symphony-no-7-swf-sinfonieorchester-baden-baden-hans-rosbaud-wergo.html

The others I know of are the same works already listed by Frank (although
I haven't checked which particular performances).
2018-04-11 23:18:35 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an
Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the
last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the
Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which
symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
His 7 with the Baden-Baden orchestra is probably the most convincing
performance of that work I've heard, quite wonderful. It's available
https://www.mdt.co.uk/mahler-symphony-no-7-swf-sinfonieorchester-baden-baden-hans-rosbaud-wergo.html
The others I know of are the same works already listed by Frank (although
I haven't checked which particular performances).
Note that my 7 recommendation is not the performance listed (twice) by
Frank. Also, MDT has a 4 on Archipel, with the same forces listed by
Frank, but they give the date as 1959, so that might also be different.
I would be a bit suspicious of both Archipel and (more so) Urania, but
a comment I noted on the Archipel was that the sound was acceptable
(given the relative lack of loud climaxes in that particular work).
MELMOTH
2018-04-12 14:10:44 UTC
Ce cher mammifère du nom de Lawrence Chalmers nous susurrait, le
mercredi 11/04/2018, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu
sales quand même, et dans le message
https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Dclassical&field-keywords=mahler+rosbaud&rh=n%3A301174%2Ck%3Amahler+rosbaud
--
Car avec beaucoup de science, il y a beaucoup de chagrin ; et celui qui
accroît sa science, accroît sa douleur.
MELMOTH - souffrant
c***@gmail.com
2018-04-12 15:43:53 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
The greatest of all Mahler conductors, imo. ##1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, Das Lied, sometimes in multiple performances and primarily for broadcast. Several have been made available commercially or privately, the latter mainly via radio re-broadcasts. The Memories issues are currently listed at BRO in two sets of 4 and 3 CDs respectively. Not the best sound but at least you get to hear a bunch of great performances. For better sounding commercial issues you might consider #7 on Wergo and #5 in ICA, both reasonably priced from British sellers (e.g., https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/search?search_query=Rosbaud+Mahler). The performances are wonderful.

2018-04-12 16:04:38 UTC
Which they did for his Bruckner last year. So there's reason to hope.
Al Eisner
2018-05-03 05:43:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an
Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the
last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the
Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings.
Which they did for his Bruckner last year. So there's reason to hope.
And also a 7-CD Haydn box released a couple of months ago, see
Amazon ASIN B079878GGN, (The only Rosbaud Haydn I've heard is a
DGG Berlin CD - including #92, I recall, very good.) The Amazon
description says this is the fourth SWR Rosbaud set, but the only
other one I see there is the Bruckner (unless they are counting
things like a 1-CD collection of Wagner overtures).
2020-10-14 19:41:43 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Never heard his Mahler before until I picked up a pricey used copy from an Italian label of Mahler's 6th. Interesting listen especially since the last movement times out to 33+ minutes. I wish SWR would release all the Rosbaud
Mahler recordings in clear remastered recordings. I have no idea of which symphonies he recorded. Anyone else know?
(Recent Youtube upload):

Review: Hans Rosbaud's Astonishing Mahler