Add Naxos to the Complete Beethoven game too
2019-09-11 13:07:35 UTC
Saw on JPC this morning

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475

Henceforth the pride of completists will not be how many symphony or piano sonata cycles do you own, but how many complete works editions of a composer.
Mark Zimmer
2019-09-11 15:12:10 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Saw on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475
Henceforth the pride of completists will not be how many symphony or piano sonata cycles do you own, but how many complete works editions of a composer.
This is the one I was hinting at the other day in one of John Fowler's threads. We at The Unheard Beethoven did provide Naxos with scores of unpublished and unrecorded pieces, so they will also have some world premieres and rarities in their box. Gotta get them all.

I have still heard nothing from the Sony wing.

Mark
John Fowler
2019-09-12 16:45:15 UTC
Dear Mark Zimmer,
I spent most of this morning investigating the Unheard Beethoven website and trying to figure out which of the works in the Naxos box will be first publications. Very enjoyable.
https://unheardbeethoven.org/

Is there any chance that Unheard Beethoven will publish a list of which previously unpublished works appear in which boxes?

Naxos publicity department boldly declares:
" So much more than just another Beethoven complete box! World premieres, rarities, fragments - Beethoven REALLY COMPLETE!
Following the encyclopaedic approach of the label NAXOS, all of the unfinished works of Ludwig van Beethoven were recorded for this set of 90 CDs as well as alternative versions and Beethoven's transcriptions of his own works for various instrumentations. Thus, the NAXOS Beethoven Complete Edition contains many unique recordings and even several world premiere recordings that are only available on NAXOS. And that for the unique low price NAXOS.

If this claim is true, and the Naxos box is REALLY COMPLETE, Naxos will have scooped the competition:
--- The Naxos box is supposed to be released on October 15
--- The DG box on November 8
--- The Warner box on November 29
Mark Zimmer
2019-09-23 17:50:09 UTC
Post by John Fowler
[...]
John,

Yes, we intend to have a rundown of what's new on which boxes, but we're still pretty short on details ourselves as to what actually got recorded on each label, and in particular by whom. As I mentioned, we never heard from either Warner or Sony (if they're doing a Beethoven box at all) so your guess is as good as mine as to what they have in store for their "complete" Beethovens.

It is a dream of ours come true to have so much of Beethoven's work on recordings at last; when we started The Unheard Beethoven 20 years ago, much, much less of this material was available. I'd like to think we had something to do with that state of affairs changing.

Mark
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-09-11 16:16:50 UTC
There is one on Brilliant as well
John Fowler
2019-09-12 06:51:52 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475
Thanks everyone.
I had completely forgotten about Naxos.
The DG box with it's incessant duplications is looking less attractive - especially at the price.
I could buy both Warner and Naxos and still have some change left over.
John Fowler
2019-09-14 17:18:24 UTC
COMPLETE BEETHOVEN = NAXOS vs DG vs. WARNER (updated September 14)

Naxos = 90 CDs = 100 Euros
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475
DG = 102 CDs (many duplications) = 240 Euros (+ 16 historical CDs + 3 Blu-ray Audio discs + 2 DVDs)
https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Beethoven-1770-1827_000000000034571/item_Beethoven-The-New-Complete-Edition-118CD-2DVD-3blu-ray-Audio-Limited_10112427
Warner = 80 CDs = 100 Euros
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X7D9W6N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The DG box (November 8) is padded out with multiple performances of the major works. Five different performances of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony alone: Fricsay, Bernstein, Gardiner, and Karajan (1962 and 1974).
The DG box costs more than Naxos and Warner combined.
Based on past history and price, the DG box is the most likely to include texts and translations, but that’s just a just guess.

The Warner box (November 29) is modelled on that label’s Berlioz and Debussy boxes, which means it comes with an extremely attractive booklet, CDs in jackets with period paintings on the front, but no texts or translations for vocal works.

The Naxos box (October 25) is still a mystery.
One photo of the Naxos box shows what looks like a CD-ROM in a separate sleeve.
If it has texts for the vocal works, I hope Naxos remembered the English translations.

MAJOR WORKS:
Naxos has not yet identified the performers.
Warner has only identified the performers on CDs 1-33.
For some works I made an educated guess (indicated by ?????)

SYMPHONIES:
--- DG complete: Gardiner, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique (period instruments)
--- DG complete: Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic - 1962 (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
--- DG bonus: Symphonies 4 & 7: Carlos Kleiber, Amsterdam Concertgebouw (DVD VIDEO)
--- DG bonus: 23 recordings by 14 conductors: Abbado, Bernstein, Bohm, Chailly, Fricsay, Furtwangler (mono), Giulini, Karajan (1976), Carlos Kleiber, Erich Kleiber (mono), Monteux, Nelsons, Scherchen (mono), Schmidt-Isserstedt
--- WA complete: Harnoncourt, Chamber Orchestra of Europe
--- NX complete:
OVERTURES:
--- DG complete: conducted by Abbado, Busch (mono), Chailly, Fricsay, Furtwangler (mono), Gardiner (period instruments), Klee, Klemperer (mono), Szell
--- WA complete:
--- NX complete:
CREATURES OF PROMETHEUS:
--- DG: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
--- WA: Harnoncourt
--- NX: Segerstam ?????
EGMONT INCIDENTAL MUSIC:
--- DG: Abbado
--- WA:
--- NX:
RUINS OF ATHENS INCIDENTAL MUSIC:
--- DG: Klee
--- WA:
--- NX:
WELLINGTON’S VICTORY:
--- DG: Karajan
--- WA:
--- NX:
GROSSE FUGUE (orchestra):
--- DG: Furtwangler (mono)
--- WA:
--- NX:
MASS Op.86:
--- DG: Gardiner (period instruments)
--- WA: Giulini ?????
--- NX:
MISSA SOLEMNIS:
--- DG: Karajan (1966) - and - Gardiner (period instruments)
--- WA: Klemperer
--- NX:
CHRIST ON THE MOUNT OF OLIVES:
--- DG: Klee
--- WA:
--- NX:
FIDELIO:
--- DG: Abbado - and - Bernstein (DVD VIDEO)
--- WA: Klemperer
--- NX:
LEONORE:
--- DG: Gardiner (period instruments)
--- WA:
--- NX:

CONCERTI (5) for PIANO:
--- DG complete: 15 recordings by 10 pianists: Argerich, Arrau, Brendel, Buchbinder, A. Fischer, Gulda, Kempff, Levin (period instruments), Pollini, Zimerman
--- WA complete: Schiff/Haitink
--- NX:
CONCERTO for VIOLIN:
--- DG: four recordings: Mutter/Karajan -- Repin/Muti -- Schneiderhan/Jochum -- Zehetmair/Bruggen (period instruments)
--- WA: Perlman/Giulini
--- NX:
CONCERTO for VIOLIN arranged for PIANO:
--- DG: Barenboim, piano & cond.
--- WA: Duchable/Menuhin
--- NX:
CONCERTO for PIANO, VIOLIN, CELLO:
--- DG: Chung Trio/Chung cond.
--- WA: Barenboim piano & cond, Perlman, Ma
--- NX:
FANTASY FOR PIANO, CHORUS & ORCHESTRA:
--- DG: Levin/Gardiner (period instruments) - and - Pollini/Abbado
--- WA: Aimard/Harnoncourt
--- NX:
ROMANCES (2) for VIOLIN & ORCHESTRA:
--- DG: Mutter/Masur - and - Zehetmair/Bruggen in Romance No.2 only (period instruments)
--- WA: Perlman/Barenboim
--- NX:

PIANO SONATAS:
--- DG complete: Wilhelm Kempff (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
--- DG bonus: 57 recordings by 23 pianists: Arrau, Ashkenazy, Backhaus, Brendel, Freire, Gilels, Grimaud, Gulda, Haskil (mono), Kempff (mono), Kissin, Kocsis, Kovacevich, Lupu, Michelangeli, Perahia, Pogorelich, Pollini, Richter, Rubin (fortepiano), Schnabel (mono), Serkin, Uchida
--- WA complete: Stephen Kovacevich
--- NX complete:
CELLO SONATAS:
--- DG complete: Maisky/Argerich
--- DG bonus: Fournier/Kempff (3 & 5)
--- WA complete: Starker/Buchbinder ?????
--- NX complete:
VIOLIN SONATAS:
--- DG complete: Kremer/Argerich (1-4) -- Perlman/Ashkenazy (5,6), -- Mutter/Orkis (7,9) -- Dumay/Pires (8-10) -- Menuhin/Kempff (variations etc.)
--- WA complete: Capucon/Braley
--- NX complete:

PIANO TRIOS:
--- DG complete: Beaux Arts Trio - Gilels/Kogan/Rostropovich (mono) & Previn/Mullova/Schiff (Archduke Trio) - Kempff/Szeryng/Fournier (variations etc.)
--- WA complete: Barenboim/Zukerman/DuPre ?????
--- NX complete:
STRING TRIOS:
--- DG complete: Mutter/Giuranna/Rostropovich
--- WA complete: Perlman/Zukerman/Harrell
--- NX complete:
STRING QUARTETS:
--- DG complete: Amadeus Quartet (BLU-RAY AUDIO)
--- DG bonus: Emerson Quartet (early & middle quartets)
--- DG bonus: Takacs Quartet & Hagen Quartet (late quartets)
--- DG bonus: assorted quartets by Busch Quartet (mono), Hollywood Quartet (mono), Lindsay Quartet, Quartetto Italiano
--- WA complete: Artemis Quartet (Artemis did not record the revised finale to Op.130 - a different recording will be used)
--- NX complete:
John Fowler
2019-09-14 19:46:04 UTC
BREAKING NEWS
from DG’s website: “Nine softcover books with track listings, notes and sung texts (English/Deutsch). YES!

If the Warner box is like their Berlioz and DG boxes, it will not come with texts or translations.
--- One photo of the Naxos box shows what looks like a CD-ROM in a separate sleeve.
If these are texts for the vocal works, I hope Naxos remembered the English translations.
Nothing dumber than providing the text only in the language that’s being sung - unless you are addicted to Karaoke.
--- Also, a new video:
https://www.facebook.com/deutschegrammophon/videos/489641671619693/?v=489641671619693
John Fowler
2019-09-14 20:00:58 UTC
Correction:
If the Warner box is like their Berlioz and Debussy boxes, it will not come with texts or translations.
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-05 11:08:27 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Saw on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ludwig-van-beethoven-beethoven-complete-edition/hnum/9449475
Henceforth the pride of completists will not be how many symphony or piano sonata cycles do you own, but how many complete works editions of a composer.
The Naxos website is advertising a new release of the Beethoven Piano Concertos no. 1 and 2 plus the Rondo in B flat, with Boris Giltburg and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vasily Petrenko. I do not know whether this is intended to be part of a new set (to replace the old Stefan Vladar one) or the proposed complete Beethoven boxed set.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra